SCSI fuse advice (or, how to kill a ThinkPad 800 with a SCSI2SD)

IBM workstations/servers/mainframes and operating systems (AIX, OS/2, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

SCSI fuse advice (or, how to kill a ThinkPad 800 with a SCSI2SD)

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 am

I was antsy about the 2.5" SCSI in my ThinkPad 800 (the original Type 6020 which was never, apparently, sold), so based on reports that it works fine with the TP850, I bought a "PowerBook" SCSI2SD of the same type I currently use in my PowerBook 540c, configured it and installed it. I made sure to insert the pins the same orientation into the carrier board. When I fired the ThinkPad up, it promptly failed to POST with error 0370830. I replaced it with the original drive and got the same error. At this point I may have scared the cat.

Some digging around indicates that this error means the "SCSI circuit breaker is open" ( http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprm1/h2583.htm ), at least on the TP850. However, the recommended tasks of letting it sit for 15 minutes didn't work, nor did unplugging all the SCSI cables and trying again. Even with no SCSI devices on board (no CD-ROM, no hard disk) it still does this. As usual the IBM service guidance at this point would be to replace the system board, which isn't going to happen.

I disassembled the unit to see if it was actually a fuse (given that this is an earlier model) that opened rather than a circuit breaker, which will be interesting to get back together, but anyway. Once I got the Faraday cage and the video card off I found a couple candidate surface-mount fuses marked F1 and F3, but they're both 2A (which seemed a little high for a SCSI breaker) and continuity testing checks out on both. I can't find any others. F3 seemed like the best candidate since it was nearest to the CD-ROM SCSI port, but it looks like both fuses are still closed. Some of the system board is still covered by the PCMCIA cage and the sound daughtercard, however, so it's possible there are other fuses to find.

Before I make an even bigger mess by trying to get the board completely free and loose from the chassis, anyone got experience with blowing SCSI fuses? Is this something internal to the controller chip itself (which by the way I haven't even identified yet, though I have a couple guesses), or is it usually on the board? What should I be looking for?

I'm also rather alarmed about the SCSI2SD doing that. Could it be that it's pulling too much power from the termination lines?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

ibmfiles

Re: SCSI fuse advice (or, how to kill a ThinkPad 800 with a SCSI2SD)

Unread postby ibmfiles » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Would you be able to take a photo of the area in question?
Maybe it's a diode or something.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm pretty sure both are truly fuses, they're marked as such and have "2A" on the top (F1 even has "125V 2A" on the board next to it). It doesn't have the one-way behaviour of a diode and it looks too big for that.

I haven't gotten up the nerve to try to wiggle the other boards off yet.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:05 pm

I disassembled down to the logic board and could not find any bad fuses. Since I need to get the corpse off the dining room table, I reassembled it and it does power up ... but it still gives the same SCSI error.

The next step is to pull the entire logic board out, I guess, and see if there are any components on the underside. That will have to wait for awhile.

Moral of the story: don't use a SCSI2SD with a rare computer, and I would be very leery of using it with any PowerPC ThinkPad in general. There's no guarantee I'll be able to recover this unit.
smit happens.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:46 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:There's no guarantee I'll be able to recover this unit.

That's one of the saddest things I've EVER heard.
I keep trying to get my hands dirty with such machine, but whenever a offer pops up somewhere, it always costs more than I'm willing to pay.
ImageImage

ibmfiles

Unread postby ibmfiles » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:I disassembled down to the logic board and could not find any bad fuses.

So apparently SCSI devices do use fuses, it makes sense though in retrospect. I just never encountered any problems with SCSI fuses before.

How did you test the fuses?

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=179923
richie wrote:The way I test fuses is switching the volt meter to ohm, if I get basically the same as what I get when I touch both leads together, then I pretty much know that the fuse is gone.

I'm kind of curious why the SCSI adapter caused the fuse to close in the first place. I mean, you could always desolder the fuse bu then that could damage whatever SCSI IC is being used, and that would be more irritating to replace.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 am

No, it caused the fuse to open. What I'd like to do is, at least initially, bypass it and make sure the system works with the original devices, and then desolder and replace the fuse. The fuses were tested with an ohmmeter, like the quote you gave. There must be a fuse that's still open I haven't found yet.

The IBM service docs for the 850 say it's a circuit breaker, not a fuse, but this is an 800 and it's not guaranteed that's the case here. This is the first time I've ever opened one myself, but I think this is mostly due to the fact most SCSI devices aren't crap and stay within the specified power draw. My current theory is that the SCSI2SD's terminator power usage is too much for this machine.

I talked to Michael McMaster and I'm going to test a few things on the SCSI2SD in question for him when I get back from my business trip. It is entirely possible it was defective (which is even sadder).
smit happens.

Return to “IBM”