AIX 7.1 on the IntelliStation 285 - first steps

IBM workstations/servers/mainframes and operating systems (AIX, OS/2, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

AIX 7.1 on the IntelliStation 285 - first steps

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri May 13, 2016 9:58 am

Hello everyone,

Sharing my first experiences. I've had this machine for 1,5 years by now, but only now I'm taking it more seriously, since I spent the first 6 months trying to make Linux boot in it and make it work as I wanted. Then, well, it became pointless since I don't use Linux as a workstation OS very often and I have Linux running better and faster on my G5.

The specs are (I should make it part of my signature as I see is the way around here):
- Two-way 2.1GHz POWER5.
- 8GB ECC RAM
- 2x 72GB 15000rpm hot swappable U320 disks
- GXT135p graphics
- IBM PCI audio card installed. (nothing in the system seems to emit any sound though)

It came originally without the audio card and with 1GB of RAM only.

My system came with undefined AIX license (not sure how it works, but it is marked in the system options), so I just installed AIX 7.1. As expected, all devices are detected fine. I went with the default installation options and after 45 minutes I was greeted by a CDE login screen. My monitor was detected correctly and I have 1920x1200x32@60Hz out of the box.

Then I got frustrated and barely touched this system until a few months ago. =)

I broke many installations trying to get CDE, KDE and GNOME from the IBM FTP Linux Toolkit thing to work at the same time, and my conclusions:
- CDE works on its own.
- GNOME works inside CDE, with broken fonts. Not on its own.
- KDE works on its own. It has many applications, making the system more useful, but it's not hardcore enough.
Combinations don't work.

So after a lot of frustration, I have Firefox, GIMP and Thunderbird running. Firefox works mostly, but I know I need to be safety-conscious.

Initially, I tried installing Firefox following the dependencies from perzl.org and the bull software thing but there's always some library missing after I go through all requirements. Trying to retrieve libraries from different files and building them together ends up getting me "magic number" errors, so I gave up of that way. In the end I decided following up IBM instructions and that worked well. Firefox 3.6.25 and Thunderbird are up. (and Xboard).

The problems are, anything else I try to install (ffmpeg, etc) end up requiring libXrender instead of Xrender and libXcursor instead of Xcursor. In theory, as I read, the functionality is equivalent but Firefox refuses to run on libXrender due to lack of some libraries and trying to get everything together on my own never worked out.

The system is snappy as expected. Firefox screen redraws are very expensive in terms of CPU. Typing here gives me 25% CPU utilization. If I change tabs, I have a second of delay with 100% CPU utilization. But scrolling is butter-smooth once everything is loaded. There are no errors whatsoever as I run the application or after quitting. Thunderbird works ok.

I love how fast the interface is! No delaying animations, no stupid transparencies, just enough anti-aliasing to make the fonts nice to read. The smit thing showing the configuration commands before they run are nice too!

My next steps are:
- Try to sort out the dependency mess to get other things running. Some music player, perhaps a video player, some productivity applications.
- Find out why I can only mount NFS read-only here. I've tried all versions and options, but I never get read only. All my other computers get rw fine.
- Try to run the Abusar and Quake 1 and 2 demos. Get a graphics card for that.
- Move my Web and DB servers here. Do some proper security hardening.

And a few questions:
- Would I be more lucky if I would try AIX5L instead of 7.1?
- What are the advantages in compiling instead of going for the pre-built packages? Would it help me sort the issue with the missing objects in my libraries when I get the pre-built ones?

Any tips and suggestions are welcome! I will be super happy to help the others in need once I learn my ways around here.

Pasting down lsdev and a screenshot.

Thanks and cheers!
Saulo

Code: Select all

# lsdev
L2cache0   Available               L2 Cache
cd0        Available 03-08-00      IDE DVD-ROM Drive
cd1        Available 03-08-01      IDE DVD-ROM Drive
cluster0   Available               Cluster Node
en0        Defined   09-08         Standard Ethernet Network Interface
en1        Defined   09-09         Standard Ethernet Network Interface
ent0       Available 09-08         2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14108902)
ent1       Available 09-09         2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14108902)
et0        Defined   09-08         IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Network Interface
et1        Defined   09-09         IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Network Interface
fwdump     Defined                 Logical volume
hd1        Defined                 Logical volume
hd2        Defined                 Logical volume
hd3        Defined                 Logical volume
hd4        Defined                 Logical volume
hd5        Defined                 Logical volume
hd6        Defined                 Logical volume
hd8        Defined                 Logical volume
hd10opt    Defined                 Logical volume
hd11admin  Defined                 Logical volume
hd9var     Defined                 Logical volume
hdisk0     Available 04-08-00-5,0  16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive
hdisk1     Available 04-08-00-8,0  16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive
ide0       Available 03-08         ATA/IDE Controller Device
inet0      Available               Internet Network Extension
iocp0      Defined                 I/O Completion Ports
iscsi0     Available               iSCSI Protocol Device
kbd0       Available 0.1.3-        USB keyboard
lai0       Available 0C-00         GXT135P Graphics Adapter
lft0       Available               Low Function Terminal Subsystem
livedump   Defined                 Logical volume
lo0        Available               Loopback Network Interface
lvdd       Available               LVM Device Driver
mem0       Available               Memory
mouse0     Available 0.1.2         USB mouse
paud0      Available 05-08         PCI Audio Adapter (13100560)
pci0       Available               PCI Bus
pci1       Available               PCI Bus
pci2       Available               PCI Bus
pci3       Available 01-13         PCI Bus
pci4       Available 01-14         PCI Bus
pci5       Available 01-12         PCI Bus
pci6       Available 01-16         PCI Bus
pci7       Available 01-10         PCI Bus
pci8       Available 02-13         PCI Bus
pci9       Available 02-14         PCI Bus
pci10      Available 02-10         PCI Bus
pci11      Available 02-12         PCI Bus
pci12      Available 0B-08         PCI Bus
proc0      Available 00-00         Processor
pty0       Available               Asynchronous Pseudo-Terminal
rcm0       Available               Rendering Context Manager Subsystem
rootvg     Defined                 Volume group
scsi0      Available 04-08-00      PCI-X Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter bus
scsi1      Available 04-08-01      PCI-X Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter bus
ses0       Available 04-08-00-15,0 SCSI Enclosure Services Device
sfw0       Available               Storage Framework Module
sisscsia0  Available 04-08         PCI-X Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter
sys0       Available               System Object
sysplanar0 Available               System Planar
usb0       Available               USB System Software
usbhc0     Available 08-08         USB Host Controller (33103500)
usbhc1     Available 08-09         USB Host Controller (33103500)
usbhc2     Available 08-0a         USB Enhanced Host Controller (3310e000)
vio0       Available               Virtual I/O Bus
vsa0       Available               LPAR Virtual Serial Adapter
vsa1       Available               LPAR Virtual Serial Adapter
vty0       Available               Asynchronous Terminal
vty1       Available               Asynchronous Terminal

TruHobbyist

Re: AIX 7.1 on the IntelliStation 285 - first steps

Unread postby TruHobbyist » Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Shiunbird!

It was nice to read your post. Thank you!!!
- What are the advantages in compiling instead of going for the pre-built packages? Would it help me sort the issue with the missing objects in my libraries when I get the pre-built ones?

This is quite the same on every other unix platform you may encounter. Compiling yourself gives you an extremely low-level control. The problems you seem to have regarding libXrender/Xrender seem minor problems (beware that "minor" doesn't mean necessarily fixed in 5 min).

My suggestions:

1. Always use the repository/webpage/package source/whatever you download a program from to resolve its dependencies. For example, if using a firefox build from bullfreeware, use all libraries from there too. Never mix from different sources unless you have a need to feel intense pain.

2. Download compiler versions of xlc/xlc++ from the official website, these are indispensable to do anything more serious than trial and error with mixed programs/libraries. Besides some minor differences (loadable/shareable libraries were built differently IIRC, some missing or not documented-but-implemented functionality - like bpf -, very IBM-ish command-line options, i.e. - strange looking -, ...) these are extraordinary tools and contain everything you need to start resolving those deps.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21326972

Keep us informed and have a lot of fun :)

me4twb

Unread postby me4twb » Sun May 15, 2016 12:14 am

I had a missing dependency from perzl problem but i fixed it by re-downloading the rpms but making sure to manually set binary mode this time, and then it worked, this is using the "not compatible" set.

If i chose from the "compatible" with aix set then some are still missing, but I didn't see any problems yet using only the non compatible ones. Mind you I have only 5.1 Honestly I wasn't too serious about it because I only use GCC 3 as I wasn't looking to pay for the other compiler

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon May 16, 2016 2:32 am

me4twb wrote:I had a missing dependency from perzl problem but i fixed it by re-downloading the rpms but making sure to manually set binary mode this time, and then it worked, this is using the "not compatible" set.

If i chose from the "compatible" with aix set then some are still missing, but I didn't see any problems yet using only the non compatible ones. Mind you I have only 5.1 Honestly I wasn't too serious about it because I only use GCC 3 as I wasn't looking to pay for the other compiler

I'll see about that. I didn't download anything directly. I used my OS X El Capitan machine to leave things downloading overnight and saving it to my NAS with NFS.

I'm starting to seriously consider 5.1. I got the trial version of the IBM compiler and I didn't even manage to install it. It says the source files are not in the installation folder when they are. It's super odd.

But I managed to download an old version of Mathematica and the installer script gets it running beautifully without any issues. It's a royal pain in the intimate parts.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon May 16, 2016 5:41 am

Shiunbird wrote:I got the trial version of the IBM compiler and I didn't even manage to install it. It says the source files are not in the installation folder when they are. It's super odd.

wrong permissions?

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon May 16, 2016 12:32 pm

foetz wrote:
Shiunbird wrote:I got the trial version of the IBM compiler and I didn't even manage to install it. It says the source files are not in the installation folder when they are. It's super odd.

wrong permissions?

Tried that, but nothing really.
So I decided to do the obvious and browse the installation logs.

Code: Select all

installp:  APPLYING software for:
   xlsmp.rte 4.1.3.0

restore: 0511-126 Cannot open /mnt/nas/aixfree/IBM_XL_C_CPP_V13.1.3.0_AIX_EVAL/./usr/sys/inst.images/xlsmp.rte: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
Mount volume 1 on /mnt/nas/aixfree/IBM_XL_C_CPP_V13.1.3.0_AIX_EVAL/./usr/sys/inst.images/xlsmp.rte.
   Press the Enter key to continue.
0503-405 installp:  An error occurred while running the restore command.
   Use local problem reporting procedures.

Guess what? The files are really missing!
No idea why the installation packages don't have them. I will re-download them and see if they appear this time. =))))))

Return to “IBM”