Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:20 am 

Hi all,

I've just got myself an Intellistation 285, and am having trouble with the service processor. When I got the system, I cabled the SP to my network, and could access it over the default 192.168.2.147 and 192.168.3.147 addresses.

I logged into the ASMI webpage, and changed the IP address details so it would obtain a static IP. From this point on, I cannot communicate with it at all. It appeared to be listening on the new IP address (I could ping it), but telnet and https connections timed out.

I have tried with both a straight-through and null modem cables at 19200 baud; nothing happens there either. However, if I connect using a straight through connection at 19200-8N1, I get regular "garbage" displayed on my terminal (the diamond-question mark and left square bracket) at 1 second intervals. I have tried all the usual baud rates I can think of, and no joy.

I have also removed the service processor and removed the battery for a minute before re-installing it. It now comes back on, and grabs an address from DHCP but again I cannot connect to it using telnet, serial or https.

One oddity is that when I attempt a connection using openssl, it does respond but I get the following :

Code:
# openssl s_client -bugs  -connect 192.168.0.21:443
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=0 /C=US/ST=New York/O=IBM/OU=IBM eServer GFW/CN=ASM.IBM.eServer.ibm.com
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
47040:error:1408F119:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or bad record mac:/SourceCache/OpenSSL098/OpenSSL098-47/src/ssl/s3_pkt.c:431:

So there is something there and listening, but for whatever reason it's not responding correctly.

Had anyone seen anything like this before, or have any ideas on what to do next ? All of the documentation I have seen indicates that this *should* just work (and indeed, it did for a short while before I changed the IP address). It's also worth pointing out that the rest if the system is fine and powers on with no trouble; it's just the SP that I can't use...

Thanks,

-Mark

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 am 

Nevermind; fixed it. Seems like you have to let the firmware come up and the green light is flashing on the front panel *before* you plug a network cable in. Counter-intuitive, I know, but there you have it. Found this out here : https://sites.google.com/site/rhdisk0/u ... are/ibm285

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:49 am 

Odd. The ASMI in my POWER6 stays plugged in all the time, but I only ever access it over SSL.

:Fuel: bigred, 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, R10000, Solid IMPACT (full hinv pending)
probably posted from Image bruce, 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:43 pm 

Hello guys,

It was just about time to register here. :)
I wrote the page linked above. If you have any comments or anything, here I am :)

LGee

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 am 

LGee wrote:
Hello guys,

It was just about time to register here. :)
I wrote the page linked above. If you have any comments or anything, here I am :)

LGee

That's a great resource, thanks for writing up your finds! I would have been stuck for days without that guide to the tricky SP. One thing you might know the answer to (sorry for the derail, but it's my own thread ;) ) - what is there in the way of environmental monitoring on the 285 ?

I can't find *anything* to monitor temperature, fan speeds and so on. The closest I got was the "missing hard disk" ODM notification hack in the AIX LVM documentation. From what I gather, I might be out of luck, but I just find that a little hard to believe considering the cheapest PoS x86 Dell server is chock full of sensors...

Thanks,

-Mark

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:11 pm 

sgi_mark wrote:
I can't find *anything* to monitor temperature, fan speeds and so on. The closest I got was the "missing hard disk" ODM notification hack in the AIX LVM documentation. From what I gather, I might be out of luck, but I just find that a little hard to believe considering the cheapest PoS x86 Dell server is chock full of sensors...

Found this thread:
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists ... 00020.html

In short, you cannot monitor these values. What I know is our current Power servers do an emergency shutdown when ambient temperature exceeds the permitted value, but I guess this action is internal to the system firmware.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm 

nice machine, congrats!