Interest in an AIX 6.1 shell server?

IBM workstations/servers/mainframes and operating systems (AIX, OS/2, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ritchan

Re: Interest in an AIX 6.1 shell server?

Unread postby ritchan » Wed May 19, 2010 4:14 pm

You'll have an uphill battle making me believe that they care. But you're right - posting a howto is quite different from posting a crack. Which means it's even harder to find a case against him, don't you think?
Originally Posted by Tommie
Please delete your post. It is an insult to all the hard work society has put into making you an intelligent being.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.

bri3d

Unread postby bri3d » Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm

sybrfreq wrote:That post read something like: "Wow! that house was easy to break into, Ionly had to cut two deadbolts. If these people don't bother putting a better lock on their door then I get to break in and do as I wish to their sleeping bodies."

It's all fun and games until you get an assfull of buckshot. I don't even want to think about how big the IBM legal department is... pirating software is one thing, posting a how-to on the internet is another.

I doubt he'll see any legal action. His blog post was pretentious and stupid, but the trial v. full version restrictions at that level are really just to allow engineers to evaluate and then remind them to ask for a purchase order - the piracy/loss risk is pretty low. Corporations like circumventing license restrictions when they can't tell they're doing something wrong (sharing logins to online databases, etc.) but as soon as they're clearly breaking things (i.e. cracking) someone in the process tends to straighten up (be it engineers or management). And it's been proven time and time again that IBM couldn't care less about hobbyists regardless of what they're doing.

I just think it's dumb to criticize compiler developers for writing simplistic/poor DRM when it's a low-priority, symbolic piece of the software, while simultaneously bragging about breaking it when it was dead-obvious how to do so. It's a silly stance I wouldn't have expected considering the intelligent posts elsewhere on that blog.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Right, I've never heard about that website before but "the license was easy to crack and therefore the software is crap" means I won't bother with it again.

ritchan

Unread postby ritchan » Thu May 20, 2010 5:44 am

sybrfreq wrote:Right, I've never heard about that website before but "the license was easy to crack and therefore the software is crap" means I won't bother with it again.

Huh? Do you realize you're doing the same thing as he did?

Anyway, I guess two pages of posts means it should be worth the hassle to set up an AIX 6.1 shell server. I think I'll try the post's method to get XLC 10.1 or 11.1 on it.
Please delete your post. It is an insult to all the hard work society has put into making you an intelligent being.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 am

ritchan wrote:
sybrfreq wrote:Right, I've never heard about that website before but "the license was easy to crack and therefore the software is crap" means I won't bother with it again.

Yes I realize I am saying the same thing as bri3d. You might say I am agreeing with him.

porter

Unread postby porter » Thu May 20, 2010 10:16 am

Regarding the ELF/XCOFF thing. The original post was refering to XLC10 on Linux, hence the ELF library. On AIX with XLC9 it's an 'ar' library with a single XCOFF 'shr.o' shared object.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

ritchan

Unread postby ritchan » Thu May 20, 2010 10:17 am

sybrfreq wrote:
ritchan wrote:

Yes I realize I am saying the same thing as bri3d. You might say I am agreeing with him.

No, you just exemplified what he was talking about here:
I wonder why the author remarks that because IBM's DRM is bad, their compiler must be bad as well though - it's a foolish generalization and discards most real-world facts about software licensing.

bri3d

Unread postby bri3d » Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 am

ritchan wrote:No, you just exemplified what he was talking about here:
I wonder why the author remarks that because IBM's DRM is bad, their compiler must be bad as well though - it's a foolish generalization and discards most real-world facts about software licensing.

Naah, it's ambiguous pronoun reference - the "it" he was referring to was the blog, not the compiler. :)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 pm

correct.

Anyways, my point was pretty much moot anyways. A person buying the program or switching to an alternative when the trial is over? Crazy!

yetanother**ixuser
Donor
Donor

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 am

@porter: would you be so kind to provide me the source of x.c? i'm such a shitty developer so my efforts leading nowwhere without guidance :roll:
no plan

porter

Unread postby porter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Alas my 7043-240 died a year or so ago. My recollections are although the module compiled and didn't stop XLC working, it still broke after the 90 days. I ended up just resetting the machines time back for XLC compilations.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Candidly, there is no longer any performance gulf of substance between xlC and gcc anyway. xlC may be able to better optimize some types of code, and its vectorization is probably better, but on the whole its drawbacks far outweigh any small performance gains you'd see.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

yetanother**ixuser
Donor
Donor

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 am

edit: content removed
Last edited by yetanother**ixuser on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
no plan

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:21 am

First of all, I would work on the object file (shr.o), not the archive.

Then, you've disassembled everything, including the relevant data structure, as code. Good luck interpreting that as PPC instructions ;)

Last but not least, regardless of the totally trivial protection mechanism of the IBM compiler, 'circumventing a copyright protection' is *illegal* in many parts of the world, including the US and Europe. I would hate to see this board go away because of the wrath of some IBM lawyer.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

yetanother**ixuser
Donor
Donor

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 am

you're right, will remove this post...
no plan

Return to “IBM”