Any AIX or IBM mainframe programmers here?

IBM workstations/servers/mainframes and operating systems (AIX, OS/2, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dennis Nedry

Re: Any AIX or IBM mainframe programmers here?

Unread postby Dennis Nedry » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:37 pm

It's a shame the publicly available releases of MVS etc. won't exploit a multiprocessor box. It would be interesting to see what kind of performance you would get out of a new copy of z/OS running on a 16 CPU machine.

I'm not sure what a 16-CPU (core?) machine can pull off in terms of MIPS, but my 12-core Mac Pro will do about 4600 MIPS with nothing else running in the background. Sadly I've never actually bothered to benchmark the system properly. I just know that it will IPL z/OS V1r10 from a cold start in under 3 minutes (can't remember what the loadparm was for that run though, I do recall that I wasn't booting off SARES at the time and it was the full ADCD environment being brought up).

I should really get back into that stuff. I just never found any practical use for any of the knowledge. *sigh*...

Hercules is a great project though. The guys behind it are superbly nice people.

-DN
I've got butterfingers!

BSDero

Re: Any AIX or IBM mainframe programmers here?

Unread postby BSDero » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:25 pm

got some experience developing with IBM AIX 5.3.
__Zacatito__Image 600 MHZ R14000; 17GBytes HD
__Nopalito__Image 200 MHZ R5000; 9GBytes HD
Guadalajara, Jal and Aguascalientes, Ags
Mexico

Return to “IBM”