Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Re: z9...
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:56 pm 

kjaer wrote:
Congratulations, you just bought a boat.

Are you referring to the two happiest days in a person's life ? The day they buy a boat, and the day they sell the boat ? :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:08 am 

Wow, very nice system! Congrats!! I'm also looking for a IBM Mainframe, but in Germany ;-) ...

Got any news regarding the system?

Regards, Alex

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 am 

You can also run OpenSolaris on some of the more recent zSeries (not this z800 though).

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:58 am 

> Got any news regarding the system?

Um, ugh. Bit of a sore point with the other half at the moment.

I did land up getting the "equipment" shortly after I last posted (that was one hell of a day). It landed up being three racks- the z800, a rack with the DS6000's, and another rack with a quad set of IBM Ultrium libraries, all stuffed in the back of a large truck with not one but four P275's, the HMC machine, 5 Thinkvision LCD panels, and a few boxes of cabling, manuals, blank tapes, keyboards, and mice.

Apparently, my wife thought that "Three IBM racks" meant "Three IBM towers". Probably because I told her about the P275 and the HMC that were going in my office. So you can imagine the look that anyone would exhibit when they realize you've brought home more then a ton (?) of jet-black IBM equipment in three full-sized racks damned near the size of our refrigerator (each). The resulting footprint of all the gear in the garage booted out my car onto the driveway until I could figure out how to get it into the basement without marring the hardwood.

That really was only the half of it- because a few weeks later, we moved across Canada to Victoria, BC. All the house stuff fit in one truck (easily). I had to fly back the day after we arrived to rent a second truck, and haul all the IBM gear across Canada *again*, while the wife sat at home for two days with a refrigerator, microwave, our annoyed and confused cat, and not much else.

I've yet to work up the courage to phone an electrician and get someone down here to hook up a 240VAC mains in the basement for everything. Right now, everything except what I could cram in my office is sitting outside, on pallets, shrinkwrapped up. As much as I'd love to fire that stuff up right now, I have no idea what sort of wrath I'd be bringing upon myself if I launched into that hobby at this very moment. We're not quite settled into the new place so it hasn't really been a priority...

-DN

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm 

Quote:
we moved across Canada to Victoria, BC...

Welcome to The Island of Awesome.
Last I remember there was a guy at UVic who knew a fair bit about large-scale IBM systems. Not sure if that will help you much (I last heard from him back in 2007) but if he's still there he might be of interest to you.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:41 pm 

hamei wrote:
kjaer wrote:
Congratulations, you just bought a boat.

Are you referring to the two happiest days in a person's life ? The day they buy a boat, and the day they sell the boat ? :D

Since I have some time now, I might as well close up this thread. Hamei called it though.

Long story short, the gear is gone. It's probably half way to Toronto by now. I spent about 8 hours yesterday carting the rest of the rig over to my neighbours garage (who happened to have several 240VAC lines for his arc wielding gear and his wife's kiln), testing everything, sticking it all back on a pallet (fun fun!), wrapping it all up, then helping the buyer load it all back up onto the back of a truck with a forklift and another guy.

This was the only time I actually saw the HMC live and talking to the support elements with the system partially IPL'd.

The troubles started about ~6 weeks ago when I initially poked my neighbour about "borrowing" some garage space and a 240 line to test my mainframe. Since he'd dealt with COBOL or FORTRAN (can't remember which) on big iron before eons ago, he was a bit intrigued himself to see what it was that I had. So we built a rather rudimentary dolly, dismantled the 2066, carted it bit by bit over to his garage (AMD frames, the BPU, IOP box, PDU/PSUs, and a few other large heavy bits), reassembled the entire rig, setup a WDS network back to my office where the HMC was living, and went to IPL the sucker.

Apply power, yay, fans whirling- turn on the support elements...

"Operating system not found."

I felt like dropping to my knees and screaming at the ceiling right about then.

The guys back in Calgary merrily DBAN'd both support elements prior to delivering the system to me. Absolutely fantastic. I think at the time, I muttered exactly that, but with another "f" word in-between "absolutely" and "fantastic".

Go dig through the boxes of crap in the basement for a recovery DVD. Doesn't exist. Phone up the Calgary guys. Get the usual "Not our problem anymore" runaround, finally get ahold of my friend, they check around but can't find any recovery DVDs or CDs. Wait a few days for them to ping the IBM guy, see what he can do. Can't do anything on my end, but I can ship the laptops to him and have them re-imaged, with the explicit note that I should probably back them up the moment I get them with Ghost or something. Fine, box them, ship them, wait ~15 days, get them back, re-install them in the 2066 rack...

We managed to get the HMC talking to the support elements- even attempted to IPL the system, but couldn't get much further without some sort of storage. I was half way through dismantling the DS6K racks in the garage to move them when wifey came through the door and said something like "Can't you just buy a new Mac Pro and run Hercules on it?", referring to Hercules/390.

Stop, think about that... "Would you let me do that?"... "Sure, if you get rid of this stuff".

I slept on that, and decided it just wasn't worth the effort anymore. All this, plus the cash for a 240VAC line and a semi-finished room in my basement, for what? The ability to run Linux on a non-x86 platform? Been there, done that with my old HP K-Class 570 mini-mainframe (6x200mhz, 8GB RAM, 4x9.1GB). Just like Linux on x86, plus the inherited brain damage of whatever unsupported platform functionality OSS hasn't gotten around to implementing yet.

Okay, call the Calgary guys, they know someone in Toronto who might want the box for R&D or some sort of guinnea-pig dev box. Make arrangements, send lots of pictures, then wait for them to drive all the way out here with a truck (with the rather stern accord that I'd pay for their trip if I was "wasting their time").

They showed up yesterday morning, we carted over the DS6K's and the library rack to my neighbours garage, waited about 4 hours for one of the guys to run some sort of IBM diagnostics on the entire setup, then packed it all up onto the back of a truck and watched it roll off my neighbours driveway.

Just ordered a new 12-core Mac Pro. Hopefully, it'll be here in under a week, then I can fire up Hercules/390 and IPL z/OS 1.10 and toy with that in a much more convenient form factor.

No more boats for me. I'm done boatin'. I'd rather go golfing.

-DN

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:54 pm 

I wish my better half would let me get a mac pro... Sorry for your loss and congrats on your gain! :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:19 pm 

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/herc ... sage/56492

Just an FYI for when you go to run z/OS past V1R9 on your Hercules :)

Wish I could get a hold of working z/OS 1.10 media images for Hercules... ugh.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:25 pm 

Quote:
Sorry for your loss and congrats on your gain!

Not much of a loss, really. The biggest bummer was the fact that it sucked up as much time and money as it did dragging all the gear east, only to shoot it back out west again. Garage is a whole lot emptier now, suddenly there's room for my car again (guess whos car got garage preference :\)...

Quote:
Wish I could get a hold of working z/OS 1.10 media images for Hercules... ugh.

Yeah, I've probably already said too much @_@... I'm not going to push the boundaries of the forum rules here, but I will say that you can generally find v1r9 on "the donkey" these days. You'll have to sort out the CCKD file names for yourself, but once you do- assuming you're connected to a reasonable, err, um, "server" with KAD support (KAD support is paramount), you should be able to find "the goods". :roll:

-DN

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:23 pm 

Yeah, ADCD's sares volume is a good place to start since it's about 600MB and IPL-able standalone complete with ISPF.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 am 

Hahaha, I had a feeling it would turn out like this...

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.