IBM x336 8837 PCIE riser cards?

IBM workstations/servers/mainframes and operating systems (AIX, OS/2, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
zmttoxics

IBM x336 8837 PCIE riser cards?

Unread postby zmttoxics » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:49 am

I have an x336 that I got for $150 CDN to use as an arcade machine. Its not bad for the cost (2x2.8 irwindale xeons, 3gb of ram, 2x36gb 15k rpm scsi disks). I have it working 100% with a sound card I threw in it and the onboard video (MAME is all cpu work). But the video card (radeon ve) wont push more then 1024x in WindowsXP for some reason. I would use linux but ATI dropped support for it there too.

Anyways, the rig has 2 PCI-X slots (133mhz and 100mhz). I have soundcard in the full size 133mhz slot. Now, it is much easier to get a PCIE half height video card then it is a PCI card (by that I mean locally). The manual mentions you can use PCIE riser cards instead of the included PCI-X. Where can I get one of these? I checked IBM's site and ebay, couldn't find any that looked like they would fit.
Last edited by zmttoxics on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff.

jade_angel

Re: IBM x336 8837 PCIE riser cards?

Unread postby jade_angel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13 am

Hmm, that might be some kind of PCI-X -> PCI-e bridge? If so, very weird. Is there a PCI-e slot on the board for a riser to go in?

If not, the Radeon VE (AKA 7000) is supported by the open source drivers on Linux and has been for a while; AFAIK it was never supported by fglrx/catalyst because full open driver support existed before fglrx was even made available. Incidentally, how much VRAM does the Radeon VE have? Most of the discrete ones sold had 32MB, which should do 1920x1200 easily (albeit without much left for TRAM, but then, if you're using MAME, you don't care about TRAM). I recall not having issues with it under Windows 2000 back when I had one, running dual heads at 1152x864, so this is a bit surprising.

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:22 am

The one on this rig has 16MB dedicated to it. In linux (and solaris too actually), I could get the display to work, but eventually my lcd would go black, then say "Invalid signal". It was really bizarre so I switched to windows on the machine and never ran into the same problem again. In windows, if I use Vista + the included drivers, I can do 1280x1024, but no DirectX support, and my copy is 64bit so I can't get drivers for such an old card. In Win XP, the default drivers / ibm drivers will do direct x, but for some reason its stuck on 1024x768 and I had hopes of getting the ATI drivers to work too. The weirdest part is when I tried an older rev of the ATI suite (the last version where the VE / 7000 cards are supported). When using those drivers, I was stuck on 1024x768 still, with 0 direct x support, and Windows showed a second display attached that I could set proper resolutions to (but it wasn't my display).

The lame part to it is I don't need 3d acceleration, its just that the windows version of MAME uses direct x to draw the screen.
Stuff.

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:02 am

I ended up ordering a NIB GeForce 6200 pci card for it. Fingers crossed on that one.
Stuff.

dragonorb13

Unread postby dragonorb13 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:41 pm

I realize this is an extremely old thread, as it was last updated a year and a half ago, but I was wondering if anyone ever solved this problem, or found a viable solution. Original poster never put out update about whether the card worked or not, and I'm trying to find a good one for my own X336 unit.
IBM, of course, states that there are "absolutely no known video or graphics cards that work with any of our Xseries servers" when pressed, "If the on board video goes bad during guarantee period, we replace the faulty component. If it goes bad outside of the guarantee period, we really don't care".

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:29 am

dragonorb13 wrote:I realize this is an extremely old thread, as it was last updated a year and a half ago, but I was wondering if anyone ever solved this problem, or found a viable solution. Original poster never put out update about whether the card worked or not, and I'm trying to find a good one for my own X336 unit.
IBM, of course, states that there are "absolutely no known video or graphics cards that work with any of our Xseries servers" when pressed, "If the on board video goes bad during guarantee period, we replace the faulty component. If it goes bad outside of the guarantee period, we really don't care".

Unfortunately the card came dead. I ended up building an athlon x2 rig out of spare parts to be the arcade machine and took the x336 to work to be a redhat kickstart server for my lab (which is very good at!).
Stuff.

Return to “IBM”