Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Networking with OS/2 2.1
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 pm 

Oh boy. This will be fun.
Well I have a 386 PS/2 that runs OS/2 2.1 fine but would be even better if I could network the darn thing.
A pamphlet in the software box says I need some sort of communications kit to get networking to work, is this correct because if it is I doubt I will find that package. :?

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 am 

Yes you need the OS/2 LAN Manager product. Despite OS/2 being great for comms you don't get much out of the box. There are also a couple of ways of providing the network link layer.

My notes say that I....

(a) install tcp20c patches
(b) install LAN drivers in c:\ibmcom\macs (eg rtsnd.os2,rtl8139.nif)
(c) install LAN Server 3
(d) install MPTS

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:03 pm 

Well I have a cd here full of patches, software and other OS/2 2.1 and 2.11 stuff so I'll see if what you mentioned is in it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:14 pm 

pentium wrote:
Well I have a cd here full of patches, software and other OS/2 2.1 and 2.11 stuff so I'll see if what you mentioned is in it.

I think you can get all you need to get TCP going from hobbes. LAN Manager is a different kettle of fish and only needed if you want file sharing. File transfer can be done with ftp.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:12 pm 

porter wrote:
pentium wrote:

I think you can get all you need to get TCP going from hobbes. LAN Manager is a different kettle of fish and only needed if you want file sharing. File transfer can be done with ftp.

Hobbes?
Yeah, I backed up a good sum of his site so I should have it.
FTP is not a problem for me I'm getting used to using it more than anything else now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:42 am 

^^ To be honest, I wouldn't bother. OS/2 v 3 is basically v 2.1 all cleaned up and rationalized. You can't tell the difference running them except that v3 is a hell of a lot easier to install and more capable. Not much point in using 2.1 unless you are a masochist.

Warning Will Robinson ! Danger ! Danger ! Do not try to get the mail client that comes with OS/2 to work. It's a great example of the most obscure, arcane IBM contortionism. That program is evil. The rest of the Bonus Pack is pretty neat. Footprintworks was great, used it a lot.

If you want file sharing, there's also NFS. I used to have it working between an Intellistation and an Indigo so you should be able to connect to your other SGI boxes that way. And XFree works also. Some SGI extensions do not but the basics run fine.

As porter said, Hobbes is your friend. I think someone once did a "here's a kit to make networking go on 2.1" package. But it's still not as good as 3.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:03 am 

NFS? Hey, that might come in handy once I get around to getting NFS to work on my server.