Anyone need a Z10 EC?

IBM workstations/servers/mainframes and operating systems (AIX, OS/2, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
astouffer

Anyone need a Z10 EC?

Unread postby astouffer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Just noticed this on eBay earlier http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Z10-EC-Enterprise-Class-NEW-system-Think-Pad-server-rack-processor-network/112502681842?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

A million dollar mainframe new in the box! At minimum you'll need to supply 9.5KW or worst case 27KW :shock:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Re: Anyone need a Z10 EC?

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:32 am

RAID levels 1+0 XD

I'd love to play with such machine some day before I die... I spent far more time than reasonable fooling around with Hercules once upon a time.
The day I own a majority share of any power company I'm getting one.
ImageImage

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 am

I asked my wife and she said no.

Oh well, she did say yes to the Talos II.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:37 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:I asked my wife and she said no.

The argument:
With a proper heat pump, you won't ever need winter heating again, or a water boiler.
(I have no idea if that's ever needed where you are)
ImageImage

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Shiunbird wrote:RAID levels 1+0 XD

I'd love to play with such machine some day before I die... I spent far more time than reasonable fooling around with Hercules once upon a time.
The day I own a majority share of any power company I'm getting one.

The previous line (Z890) isn't that all that bad power wise. The serious drawback is only being able to boot from FICON drives unless you get a SCSI feature code from IBM. Supposedly that feature comes with the Z10.

It sounds like you're pretty familiar with Z/OS. Have you watched any of the security talks on YouTube? Very eye opening.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 pm

astouffer wrote:It sounds like you're pretty familiar with Z/OS. Have you watched any of the security talks on YouTube? Very eye opening.

I'm not that familiar... there's only so much you can do on the emulator.
I haven't watched the talks. Is there anything specific you would recommend?

But there's this:
https://mainframesproject.tumblr.com
When I first found this blog (or some other related blog), most of them didn't even have SSL enabled.

tumblr_o9dlyonuc21tipxnjo1_1280.png

Edit: adding an example screenshot.
ImageImage

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Shiunbird wrote:
astouffer wrote:It sounds like you're pretty familiar with Z/OS. Have you watched any of the security talks on YouTube? Very eye opening.

I'm not that familiar... there's only so much you can do on the emulator.
I haven't watched the talks. Is there anything specific you would recommend?

But there's this:
https://mainframesproject.tumblr.com
When I first found this blog (or some other related blog), most of them didn't even have SSL enabled.

tumblr_o9dlyonuc21tipxnjo1_1280.png

Edit: adding an example screenshot.

That site was mentioned in this talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjtyifWTqmc

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:11 am

Wow, that was fascinating.
Mainframes are incredible. I love the hardware-redundancy of everything, and how they are build to last and to just work. But boy, IBM can shoot itself on the foot at times. Security through obscurity can backfire badly.
ImageImage

ibmfiles

Unread postby ibmfiles » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Shiunbird wrote:Wow, that was fascinating.
Mainframes are incredible. I love the hardware-redundancy of everything, and how they are build to last and to just work. But boy, IBM can shoot itself on the foot at times. Security through obscurity can backfire badly.

IBM shoots themselves in the foot, daily. And it irritates me because they're the only ones who've released hardware that fills certain gaps which *no other* OEMs have, and design principles no other OEMs will ever implement. Although I must say, my X1 Carbon 4th gen is quite nice; the only reason why it has so much control in the UEFI is because of the IBM fragments and the fact Lenovo themselves want to be able to mute Intel ME per the Chinese government--at least I can only assume.

That video brings up an interesting point with CVE-2012-5951 regarding the Rexx vulnerability. Does that mean OS/2 Warp | ArcaOS | eComstation are affected? Or does this only affect Rexx running on Unix as per /user/lpp/netview/vXrX/bin/cnmenunix. I don't know enough to say whether or not setuid of 0 exists on OS/2 and z/OS or just z/OS.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 am

ibmfiles wrote:IBM shoots themselves in the foot, daily.

Sad and true. So much potential to waste...

ibmfiles wrote:Although I must say, my X1 Carbon 4th gen is quite nice; the only reason why it has so much control in the UEFI is because of the IBM fragments and the fact Lenovo themselves want to be able to mute Intel ME per the Chinese government--at least I can only assume.

The functionality is indeed great. But, oh, I have two xSeries x220 with dual Pentium IIIs back in my home country, and the amount of functionality in the setup menu is incredible. Really granular, with a helpful built-in help system, great stuff.

ibmfiles wrote:That video brings up an interesting point with CVE-2012-5951 regarding the Rexx vulnerability. Does that mean OS/2 Warp | ArcaOS | eComstation are affected? Or does this only affect Rexx running on Unix as per /user/lpp/netview/vXrX/bin/cnmenunix. I don't know enough to say whether or not setuid of 0 exists on OS/2 and z/OS or just z/OS.

I haven't launched anything in OS/2 in ages, and I don't think this setuid 0 concept exists there. It's just a totally different OS...
But if you need to know I can fire up my OS/2 machine, try, and let you know.
ImageImage

heavyfuel

Unread postby heavyfuel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:00 pm

astouffer wrote:Just noticed this on eBay earlier http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Z10-EC-Enterprise-Class-NEW-system-Think-Pad-server-rack-processor-network/112502681842?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

A million dollar mainframe new in the box! At minimum you'll need to supply 9.5KW or worst case 27KW :shock:

Only ~400 USD? :shock: What is this? Or is there a threshold price of some sort?

I've seen older zSeries mainframes on ebay before, and they were a few thousand dollars...

Are there any extra costs if you buy one, such as software licenses? Is it possible to actually use one without paying yearly $$$ ? These should run Linux but does it require any auxiliary software?

One day when I have a house with big garage...

praetor242

Unread postby praetor242 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am

Mainframes pop up online every-so-often and they are super cheap. They are basically glorified pieces of art work without software licenses, since EVERYTHING in them has to be licensed to be used, and that costs an absorbent amount of money. Like the AS/400, they are basically useless without the licenses :(
:O2: - trajan - R5000 180Mhz - 256 MB RAM - 300GB HDD
:O2: - hadrian - R5000 180Mhz - 128 MB RAM - 147 GB HDD
:Octane2: - augustus - R12000 400Mhz - 512 MB RAM - 300GB HDD - VPro6

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:07 pm

OS/400 or iSeries or whatever they call it now needs a license key or it times out after 70 days. I'm not sure about z/OS expiring. But depending on the hardware you'll need license keys to even boot. At least someone was nice enough to make a torrent of V5R2 recently.

Return to “IBM”