not -sgi <HP>

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
epitaxial bandgap

not -sgi <HP>

Unread postby epitaxial bandgap » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:28 pm

So, umm, when did this happen?
http://h20223.www2.hp.com/NonStopComput ... 0-121.html
sorry if the link doesn't work. Apparently HP has a line of S-series Non-stop servers or some such, that runs on MIPS R14/16000's. This is news to me! Only reason I was looking around the HP site is 'cuz they announced the EOL of the alphaserver. Bummer. But then this!? Weird.
<feel free to move this post if there's someplace better>
Ninety-nine percent of who you are is invisible and untouchable.
-R. Buckminster Fuller

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:41 pm

WTF?

"NonStop S-series servers enable you to easily configure and expand the system. The premium high-end NonStop S88000 server is based on the MIPS R16000 microprocessor with 8 megabytes of secondary cache. The high-end NonStop S78000 server is based on the MIPS R14000 microprocessor with 8 megabytes of secondary cache. The NonStop S780 server is an entry-level server in the NonStop product line. It is available only in a two processor configuration using the NonStop S78000 processor."

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:40 am

Google for "nonstop operating system"...lots of interesting stuff. The NonStop line is apparently descended from Tandem computers. Among the nuggets: the Nasdaq trading system runs on NonStop servers.

It seems that HP is moving the NonStop line to Itanium + Linux, however. Check out http://news.com.com/2102-7344_3-5825765.html

Another interesting article is at http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug060205-story03.html

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:10 pm

josehill wrote:Google for "nonstop operating system"...lots of interesting stuff. The NonStop line is apparently descended from Tandem computers.

Indeed Tandem were bought by Compaq who were then swallowed by HP. They been on running on MIPS for years but yeah they are in process of moving over to Itanium.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:24 pm

Himalaya kernel and all that, right? I once did a linguistic relay for night-shift support for autmobile construction line software running on them beasts... didn't learn much of the machines, only that they never stopped running. only the software (that i supported in a way) crashed every now and then... those were long nights...
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

pipeline

Unread postby pipeline » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:29 pm

josehill wrote:Google for "nonstop operating system"...lots of interesting stuff. The NonStop line is apparently descended from Tandem computers. Among the nuggets: the Nasdaq trading system runs on NonStop servers.

It seems that HP is moving the NonStop line to Itanium + Linux, however. Check out http://news.com.com/2102-7344_3-5825765.html

Another interesting article is at http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug060205-story03.html

They're talking about porting Linux to the NonStop hardware, not migrating NonStop/OS customers to Linux.

I saw your post and my heart skipped a beat.

epitaxial bandgap

Unread postby epitaxial bandgap » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:45 pm

thanks for the info. Sounds like these are some decent systems! I especially like the bits about writing a new os because unix is bad at multiprocessing (true--and half the reason I want IRIX opensourced) and about how you can mix and match itanium and mips in a cluster, that must've taken work. Too bad it looks like the money's going into itanium tho. Would've been nice to see someone dump some cash into r18k+.
Ninety-nine percent of who you are is invisible and untouchable.

-R. Buckminster Fuller

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:57 pm

epitaxial bandgap wrote:... because unix is bad at multiprocessing (true--and half the reason I want IRIX opensourced)

Huh? :?:

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:37 pm

R-ten-K wrote:
epitaxial bandgap wrote:... because unix is bad at multiprocessing (true--and half the reason I want IRIX opensourced)

Huh? :?:

opensource is mutually exclusive with making sense!

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:20 pm

R-ten-K wrote:Huh? :?:
I was just about to say this! UNIX not good at multi-processing? AHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Never heard that one before...

Nihilus

Unread postby Nihilus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:42 am

Sweet info dudes! Alas the N1/R18K was cancelled by MIPS Inc. :-(
SGI Systems: R4K :Indigo:/256MB/XS-24, R5K 150MHz :Indy:/160MB/XL-24, R10K 175MHz :O2:/640MB, R12K 400MHz :Octane2:/Vpro6/1GB & R4K 250 MHz :Indigo2IMP:/128 MB/XZ Extreme/GIO64 FDDI

"It's a UNIX system! I know this! "

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:10 am

unixmuseum wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:Huh? :?:
I was just about to say this! UNIX not good at multi-processing? AHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Never heard that one before...

Indeed i must have been imagining that origin3800 i use to have access to had 40processors, amazing what tricks the mind can play
:wink: :lol:

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:13 am

Hakimoto wrote:Himalaya kernel and all that, right? I once did a linguistic relay for night-shift support for autmobile construction line software running on them beasts... didn't learn much of the machines, only that they never stopped running. only the software (that i supported in a way) crashed every now and then... those were long nights...

Himalaya is basically what the marketing drones at compaq renamed it to eg. "Non-Stop Himalaya" i think (and i could be wrong) it use to be called Nonstop-UX (as in Nonstop-Unix)

From what i heard about it everything is fault tolerant in the box, processors running in lockstep and all

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:08 am

pipeline wrote:They're talking about porting Linux to the NonStop hardware, not migrating NonStop/OS customers to Linux.

I saw your post and my heart skipped a beat.
Sorry for the misleading comment. My heart stopped beating years ago when Beluzzo took SGI down the Microsoft road. I'm still a zombie after all these years. :lol: I'd hate to be the cause of the same condition in someone else because I phrased something poorly!

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:56 pm

In case anyone cares about HP nonstop, nee Compaq, nee Tandem Computers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem_Computers

(Ironically Tandem was founded by HP engineers, so it has come a full circle :) ).

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”