HP-UX or Debian

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
IRISSERVICE

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:30 am

TeeTylerToe wrote:
IRISSERVICE wrote:
TeeTylerToe wrote:well with all the source code around, wouldn't it be almost trivial to just build whatever you want to use for hp-ux (mozilla, open office, mplayer, what not)?

I think i would need to know how to compile to do that... :wink:
May have to learn....

./configure
make
make install

Wo
Thats it?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:31 am

IRISSERVICE wrote:Wo
Thats it?

In a perfect world, yes - though the world is seldom perfect :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:06 pm

well, with debian, not only is it easier the the ./configure method (well, excepting having to satisfy dependancies) you've got a reasonable assurance that you won't have the problems neko alluded to.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 pm

TeeTylerToe wrote:well, with debian, not only is it easier the the ./configure method (well, excepting having to satisfy dependancies) you've got a reasonable assurance that you won't have the problems neko alluded to.

Well yes, on a Linux system the 'configure-make-make install' mantra will work nearly without fail, but on HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, AIX, etc. - more work is often involved (porting).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:54 pm

nekonoko wrote: Well yes, on a Linux system the 'configure-make-make install' mantra will work nearly without fail, but on HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, AIX, etc. - more work is often involved (porting).

Of course ! Because the SLA's (stupid Linux asses) complained bitterly about Microsoft then went on to slavishly copy everything MS did (except make money, which was the whole point for Microsoft.) So now on the desktop it's a third-rate copy of a third-rate copy of Apple's Lisa. Wow. That's certainly creative.

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:44 am

philv wrote:I'm personally going to throw my two cents in for Debian. HP-UX, I find, is not a pleasant OS to use and isn't very widespread in its deployment (less so than IRIX, in my experience) and as such there aren't many applications for it.

If IRIX had a 1/10 of the market of HPUX, SGI wouldn't be in a downward spiral.
A very large number of financial institutions and other companies use HPUX.
It just isn't widespread in the hobbyist environment as it is a pig to use.
Personally, I think that it is awful, but IT IS best suited to run on an HP PA-RISC workstation.

Nik.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:47 am

nvukovlj wrote: If IRIX had a 1/10 of the market of HPUX, SGI wouldn't be in a downward spiral..

If SGI had a computer worth buying, they wouldn't be in a downward spiral :-(

yetanother**ixuser
Donor
Donor

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:16 am

who cares about SGI goes down or not. There will always be some addicts, with long white beards, eyeglasses like ashtrays, stumbling on their dusty clingon-grey keyboards, doesnt mind SGI exists or not.
:lol:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:19 am

yetanotheririxuser wrote:who cares about SGI goes down or not. There will always be some addicts, with long white beards, eyeglasses like ashtrays, stumbling on their dusty clingon-grey keyboards, doesnt mind SGI exists or not.
:lol:

I would say that most of us here care. Silicon Graphics did a lot for the world of computing. They built some extremely nice machines and invented a lot of technology that you wouldn't be real happy without - nVidia graphics cards, for one. OpenGL for another. A hell of a lot more than that, in fact. They built some of the nicest desktops ever and Irix is a lovely operating system to use. I'd say plenty of us would be a lot happier if Silicon Graphics hadn't been sabotaged by a bunch of brainless, vision-free corporate leeches whose most glorious ideas seem to stem from playing Follow-the-Leader in third grade .... but that's just my thinking, of course.

IRISSERVICE

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:25 am

LOL, I think were we went off the topic alittle.. So i'm just going to use the HP-UX on the box.... I have 11i V1, but just ordered 11i V2 , so next week i will do install.

yetanother**ixuser
Donor
Donor

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:37 am

i agree, but something you and all other so called computer hobbyists/enthusiast (#include me.h) has to consider. todays buisness is driven by MBAs/Financials not by designers. the great invents in the IT are done long before and there is not much space for creatives.
If you want to stay up and earn some bucks you have to go with the flow and not bake your own proprietary cake.
Thats why all IT Globals (SUN,HP,IBM and of course SGI promote, by example, linux over their unices. cause customers all cry for linux.

the_future = open systems and open minds

thanks god i got my LPIC-2 done 8)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 am

yetanotheririxuser wrote: Thats why all IT Globals (SUN,HP,IBM and of course SGI promote, by example, linux over their unices. cause customers all cry for linux.

Sun is promoting Linux over Solaris ? When did this happen ? Jonathan Schwartz will be interested to hear this ...

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jonathan/

yetanother**ixuser
Donor
Donor

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:32 pm

well give yourself a favour, and notice mr.schwartz about my stupid statements.
Im sure he is highly interested!!

abs0

Unread postby abs0 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:27 am

IRISSERVICE wrote:LOL, I think were we went off the topic alittle.. So i'm just going to use the HP-UX on the box.... I have 11i V1, but just ordered 11i V2 , so next week i will do install.

If you are looking for freeware for HP-UX, check out these sites:

http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/

http://www.software.hp.com/

abs0

Unread postby abs0 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:29 am

IRISSERVICE wrote:LOL, I think were we went off the topic alittle.. So i'm just going to use the HP-UX on the box.... I have 11i V1, but just ordered 11i V2 , so next week i will do install.

Ah, one more thing: when you do get 11i v2, make sure it is a PI version (which supports both PA-RISC and Itanium2). There are v2 out there that are for Itanium2 only.

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”