HP-UX or Debian

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
IRISSERVICE

HP-UX or Debian

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:12 pm

I just got a HP Visulize 3600... Its an awesome machine i was wondering what OS to install on it... Either HP-UX or Debian or both (with HD swaping)..

I wanted people options on which OS... I just useing the system to learn Unix and Surf the web emails and gimp.. All basic stuff...
So any sugestions?

hamei

Re: HP-UX or Debian

Unread postby hamei » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:05 pm

IRISSERVICE wrote:I just got a HP Visulize 3600... Its an awesome machine i was wondering what OS to install on it... Either HP-UX or Debian or both (with HD swaping)..

I wanted people options on which OS... I just useing the system to learn Unix and Surf the web emails and gimp.. All basic stuff...
So any sugestions?

OpenStep ? There's a ton of nice free abandonware for NeXTStep .... and the mfg'ers freed almost all of it when NeXT Computer died. Closest you'll get to OS X on an HP 8)

IRISSERVICE

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:50 pm

Were can i find the ISO's?
Are lots of programs ported for this OS?

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:56 pm

IRISSERVICE wrote:Were can i find the ISO's?

our friend eBay ... or the usual places :)

Are lots of programs ported for this OS?

You'll have to do research .... there were lots of programs for NeXTStep / OpenStep. Whether they ran on the PA-RISC version, I'm not so sure. Never tried it. When NeXT Computer closed, most of the programs were issued free license codes for personal use (everybody except Adobe, as usual.) I saw that there was PA-RISC version on the CD's but never tried to install it - but looked like it might be fun. There's NeXT user groups on usenet and google is thy friend ... OpenStep would be the one you want, it's the cross-platform one.

NeXTStep is pretty kewl. That's the window manager everyone copied for the next fifteen years, anyway 8)

IRISSERVICE

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:01 pm

I rather get something thats still in production if you know what i mean...

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:07 pm

well, I have a C180, but I only ever used the console (it has something almost identical to the dvi connector, only it has too many pins) but debian installed well.
http://www.parisc-linux.org/
that's a good resource. I would assume that HP-UX would be a fine alternative, and it is very stable.

IRISSERVICE

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:10 pm

So debian Good?
Or
HP-ux?
OR both

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:09 am

IRISSERVICE wrote:I rather get something thats still in production if you know what i mean...

Then you better toss all your SGI machines.

LaLora

Unread postby LaLora » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:53 am

Why trying to run anything else than HP-UX on PA-RISC machine? I suggest HP-UX. And if you want to, as you say, use it for learning UNIX(R), then HP-UX is the only and "true" choice. Linux is just a Unix-like OS while HP-UX is a "true" UNIX (see Open Group UNIX 95/98 specifications). HP-UX was designed to work best with PA-RISC and PA-RISC was designed to work best with HP-UX. There are always enough media discs on ebay. It's like (at least the way I see it) this:

for SGI/MIPS best choice -> IRIX
for PA-RISC best choice -> HP-UX
for Ultrasparc best choice -> Solaris
for IBM/Power best choice -> AIX (see http://www.spec.org - AIX XL comilers were used!)

and best multiple choices:

for Itanium2 best choices -> Linux or HP-UX
for Opteron best choices -> Linux or Solaris or Unicos/lc (if you have XT3 :) )
for Alpha best choices -> Tru64 or OpenVMS or Unicos/mk (fi you want to get that T3E from ebay :) )

and single options (no choice):

for Cray vector cpu systems only choice -> Unicos
for NEC vector cpu systems only choice -> SUPER-UX

..before some Linux kiddies come up with Linux port for that too :(

IRISSERVICE

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:15 am

LaLora
Thanks
I already have 11i V1 which is farily current media... V2 did come put Dec of 2004, But i figure V1 would put me off to a good start.

philv

Unread postby philv » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:02 pm

I'm personally going to throw my two cents in for Debian. HP-UX, I find, is not a pleasant OS to use and isn't very widespread in its deployment (less so than IRIX, in my experience) and as such there aren't many applications for it. It's a great OS to play around with, but HP is backing the Linux efforts on the PA-RISC machines in order to shift that line away from HP-UX. Though, I'm quite biased towards linux for obvious reasons.

Oh, and FWIW, on an Itanium2 it is also fun to run OpenVMS! If you go to http://testdrive.hp.com you can play around with open VMS on one of those machines free of charge.

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:14 pm

well with all the source code around, wouldn't it be almost trivial to just build whatever you want to use for hp-ux (mozilla, open office, mplayer, what not)?

IRISSERVICE

Unread postby IRISSERVICE » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:26 am

TeeTylerToe wrote:well with all the source code around, wouldn't it be almost trivial to just build whatever you want to use for hp-ux (mozilla, open office, mplayer, what not)?

I think i would need to know how to compile to do that... :wink:
May have to learn....

foetz

Re: HP-UX or Debian

Unread postby foetz » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:34 am

IRISSERVICE wrote:I just got a HP Visulize 3600... Its an awesome machine i was wondering what OS to install on it... Either HP-UX or Debian or both (with HD swaping)..

So any sugestions?

hpux! no doubt!

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:40 pm

IRISSERVICE wrote:
TeeTylerToe wrote:well with all the source code around, wouldn't it be almost trivial to just build whatever you want to use for hp-ux (mozilla, open office, mplayer, what not)?

I think i would need to know how to compile to do that... :wink:
May have to learn....

./configure
make
make install

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”