"#" character in HP-UX

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
LaLora

"#" character in HP-UX

Unread postby LaLora » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:42 am

I know the question sounds wierd, but after pressing "Shift+3" that would usually display the "#" character on any other OS shell, xterm or vi editor, there is a beep sound on HP-UX instead. All other characters work fine. I would need that character because of writing C code in vi editor on HP-UX which, of course, begins with #include bla, bla,.. I tried many combinations to try to get the character, like shift+this and ctrl or alt+that and found some combination for it to display "#" in shell command line, but not in vi editor. So, how to get "#" character in HP-UX vi editor (that is outside window manager - in terminal style only)? Maby some copy/paste tricks -> to copy "#" character in shell command line and paste it in vi editor? Also, what is the path/location of some simple HP-UX text editor that runs under window manager, something like nedit on IRIX, so maby I could try the "#" character and write C code there instead of using vi?

thanks for the info

hamei

Re: "#" character in HP-UX

Unread postby hamei » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:01 pm

LaLora wrote: Also, what is the path/location of some simple HP-UX text editor that runs under window manager, something like nedit on IRIX, so maybe I could try the "#" character and write C code there instead of using vi?

ask and ye shall receive :wink:

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/editors/ned ... ecutables/

don't forget this :

http://www.nedit.org/technotes/looks-1.php

LaLora

Unread postby LaLora » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:05 am

It's ok now. Thanks for the links. I resolved all problems today and can display all characters in terminal vi and mwm text editors correctly. Don't know what happened yesterday. Another example of how Fortran would be better for math in such cases than C - no need to "#include" in Fortran!

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”