What OS to use on HP Netserver?

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:17 am

MattPayne wrote:yuck... :) bin it mate... all you will run on there is Nt4, slowly :)

No, lots of stuff will run on that ...

its not worth the noise or electricity... :(

For only six gigs of storage I'd *almost* agree with you. But even if it's slow, it's still good experience in setting up a network. And for file serving, well ... ethernet speed isn't very processor-dependent. I'd put a system on there just to play with ... I can remember when a Pentium 100 was a pretty good upgrade. You *can* do work even on a 25 mhz 386, in fact :-)

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: What OS to use on HP Netserver?

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:26 am

hamei wrote:OS/2.

Too bad IBM would like to deny it ever existed, and the only place to find it these days is on FTP servers in the .RU domain :P

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:52 am

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:59 am

that things as big as my LH pro.

hamei

Re: What OS to use on HP Netserver?

Unread postby hamei » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:09 am

jan-jaap wrote:
hamei wrote:OS/2.

Too bad IBM would like to deny it ever existed,

that part is true :( They have (so far unsuccessfully) been trying to kill it for almost exactly ten years now. The customers won't let them tho, heh heh heh

and the only place to find it these days is on FTP servers in the .RU domain :P

No, you can buy it new from Serenity Systems. The retail small user version is called ecomstation (ugh.) One of the clauses in Serenity's contract was that they weren't allowed to call it OS/2 tho. IBM *really* doesn't want to sell anything to small users. They figured out (finally) that they are a margin company, not a volume company. Can't really blame them for that ....

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:08 am

hamei wrote:
its not worth the noise or electricity... :(

For only six gigs of storage I'd *almost* agree with you

56gigs- i have Hakim's old 'Cudda in there. As fer the noise, i doubt that the piles of boxes in the basement are going to mind sharing space with it, and power isn't an issue- I'm fully planning on leaving it at my parent's place when i move out. Figure i'll get it running as reliably as possible, and show my brother how to keep it working (minions are fun :P) I'm assuming it wouldn't be too hard to set this thing up as an FTP server? We're getting cable internet soon, and i'm thinking this would be a nice opportunity to get some remote storage that my buddies and myself can access pretty much anywhere.
Wake up, Mr. Freeman
Wake up, and smell
the ashes

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:08 pm

ah.. gamerKarl, cudda working alright now? good to hear!
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 pm

Hakimoto wrote:ah.. gamerKarl, cudda working alright now? good to hear!

Ahh, mostly. It's been languishing in the closet since the incident with the lack of termination. When i got the Netserver, i stuck it in, but i haven't fully booted the thing yet, so i have yet to actually use it. The cudda is OUTRAGEOUSLY loud, though. Like, when i power up the Netserver with it in, the floor vibrates, and it seriously sounds like standing about 30 ft from a turboprop. Is this normal? My instinct says yes, because it's an old-skool drive with 8 platters, spinning at 7200rpm, but it's rather annoying. Is there any way to make it quieter?
Wake up, Mr. Freeman

Wake up, and smell

the ashes

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:57 am

gamerKarl wrote:The cudda is OUTRAGEOUSLY loud, though.

Those were 1st generation 7200 RPM drives. I had one (2gb) in my firewall for a (short) while. I could hear it scream when I was in bed at night, through two doors

gamerKarl wrote: Like, when i power up the Netserver with it in, the floor vibrates, and it seriously sounds like standing about 30 ft from a turboprop. Is this normal? My instinct says yes, because it's an old-skool drive with 8 platters, spinning at 7200rpm, but it's rather annoying.

Vibration is never a good sign, maybe the bearings are worn out? For a true old-skool experience, try one of these:
That's 5.25", full height (== 2 CD-ROM drives). I still have a couple running in PowerSeries and PI's. They spin for a minute or so after you power them down, if you take them out while they're still spinning you feel the torque 8)

gamerKarl wrote:Is there any way to make it quieter?

They get very hot, so foam or something like that is not a good idea. I put mine in the trash long ago, that shut them up pretty well :D

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”