What OS to use on HP Netserver?

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
gamerKarl

What OS to use on HP Netserver?

Unread postby gamerKarl » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:23 pm

I recently aquired an old HP Netserver, which I'm planning on using as a fileserver. What OS would be best for this? The two options I'm looking at are Windows NT 4, or some version of Linux (one that i would be able to get for free). I don't want to hear any anti-Microsoft crap, either. I certainly don't like them much, but i just need an OS to throw on this thing to setup remote-access accounts for data storage, and my buddy has a copy of NT i could use on it. I'd like to be able to have it up pretty much 24/7, also, what would be better as far as reliability?
Wake up, Mr. Freeman
Wake up, and smell
the ashes

SGINarutoNut

Unread postby SGINarutoNut » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:50 am

You could also try one of the BSD variants. OpenBSD, FreeBSD, or NetBSD should work just fine on that machine.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:28 am

Windows NT is unsupported (workstation varieties) or about to be unsupported (server versions). Not recommendable, unless you plan to keep it disconnected from the net.

None of the *BSD supports journaling FS's (yet). SMP is either unsupported (OpenBSD) or in it's infancy (NetBSD, FreeBSD). Other than that, they are much cleaner than Linux.

Linux: at least it has XFS. Works very well for me, supports ACL's and extended attributes and comes with good dump/restore utilities.

Of course you could think about Windows 2000 or 2003-server as well.

SGINarutoNut

Unread postby SGINarutoNut » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:00 am

Journaling filesystems are necessary... OpenBSD (and probably the others as well) have softupdates which works just fine.

OpenBSD has SMP support for some architectures as of release 3.6... in it's infancy, but possibly usable.

ACL's aren't necessary if proper use of chroot jails and users/groups is considered.

Just my 2 cents... :)

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:29 am

softupdates != journaling fs.

While some people advocate the superiority of softupdates over a true journaling fs, others (myself included) find fschecks unacceptable, even if they happen in the background. The fscheck model simply doesn't scale: with current disk / volume sizes it takes hours.

Recently there was a survey of MySQL performance on various Linux and *BSD flavours, in which scalability on SMP systems was tested: http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/12/27/1243207.shtml?tid=152&tid=72&tid=29

Overall, Linux 2.4, Linux 2.6, and Solaris scale the best with the tested MySQL operations. FreeBSD 5.3 (KSE and linuxthreads), and FreeBSD 4.11 (linuxthreads) also scale fairly well. FreeBSD 4.11 with the default libc_r threading, NetBSD 2.0, and OpenBSD 3.6 don't seem to benefit at all from the addition of multiple processors, and in some cases the results were even worse than the single-CPU configuration.

SGINarutoNut

Unread postby SGINarutoNut » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:51 am

I didn't mean to imply that softupdates were journalling. I meant to say "journalling filesystems are UNnecessary" but somehow dropped the "un" when I typed it.

The project the original poster mentioned sounds like a simple file server setup. I don't see how Linux would be any better than any of the BSD's in this case. I like and use Linux as well, so don't think I'm knocking Linux here... I just think the BSD's would be just as good of an option, so I threw it out there for him to consider.

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:02 am

At the office, we use Debian/Samba as a windows file/print server and it works great. It sits atop a Promise FastTrak66 (hacked Ultra66 card) which mirrors the main data filesystem. Probably not the fastest, most elegant, or scalable setup, but with only a few machines to serve to it's fast enough. And we had a drive crap out a month ago, and were able to recover all the data no problem at all.

hamei

Re: What OS to use on HP Netserver?

Unread postby hamei » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:43 am

gamerKarl wrote:I recently aquired an old HP Netserver, which I'm planning on using as a fileserver. What OS would be best for this?

OS/2. Ours (Netserver Lpr) has been running for a year and a half straight - the only time I even touch it is when I want to play. Okay, I look through and delete the log files weekly, too. That's about it. OS/2 plays nice with everything. Very standards-compliant, has NFS, logical volume manager, journaling file system (the one IBM gave to Linux came from OS/2), does smp *excellent*, performance is good (testing showed an OS/2 server with one cpu kicking a 4-cpu NT server's ass in a big way.) Also there's about a hundred times more free resources and utilities than NT has. I wouldn't trust any Microsoft product connected to the Internet. I have twenty times more trouble with the clients here than our server gives. Okay again, not true. 20 times 0 is still zero, which isn't the case. The Win2k boxers give plenty of trouble. The OS/2 one, none.

Oh, if you look on HP's website you'll probably find that the Netserver is certified for OS/2, also. Not that you're likely to be asking for support from HP on this, but still 8)

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:05 am

Dr. Dave wrote:At the office, we use Debian/Samba as a windows file/print server and it works great. It sits atop a Promise FastTrak66 (hacked Ultra66 card) which mirrors the main data filesystem. Probably not the fastest, most elegant, or scalable setup, but with only a few machines to serve to it's fast enough. And we had a drive crap out a month ago, and were able to recover all the data no problem at all.

Exactly what I have at home. Would *love * to replace it with an Origin200, but the electricity bill would kill me, and the noise output means I would have to shut it down when I want to play a divx or something like it, so I'm stuck with the peecee.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:07 pm

jan-jaap wrote: Exactly what I have at home. Would *love * to replace it with an Origin200, but the electricity bill would kill me, and the noise output means I would have to shut it down when I want to play a divx or something like it, so I'm stuck with the peecee.

Our Netserver is just as loud as an Origin 200 :( The Netserver is also stuck with the onboard graphics, ugh. Not that you really need graphics on a server but being limited to the crap onboard stuff, ugh. That new Mac mini thing looks like a great way to go ...

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:54 pm

Alright, I'll look into OS/2. I've heard about it before, but i really don't know much about it. Would i be able to pick up a cheap copy on ebay without worrying about liscensing issues? I was thinking Win2k, but this system doesn't meet the reqs for it- he only has a 100mhz cpu, although 192mb of memory sorta makes up for that. I know what you mean by it being loud, btw. It's defenitely going in the basement once i get it running.
EDIT- what do you mean by being stuck with onboard graphics? Do they not like pci graphics cards or something?
Wake up, Mr. Freeman

Wake up, and smell

the ashes

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:11 pm

gamerKarl wrote:- what do you mean by being stuck with onboard graphics? Do they not like pci graphics cards or something?

With the Lpr at least, you can stick all the pci grafix cards you want in there but the computer won't use them. Stuck at 1 meg max graphics memory. Stock, it comes with 512k. Yeah, wow. Other than that the box is okay.

For OS/2 stuff, go take a look at hobbes.nmsu.edu and see if the freeware there is interesting.

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:46 pm

/me makes a sarcastic reply about some high powered computer that's unable to take any graphics card at all being a POS because of that.

anyway, I like netservers, I find the upgradable vram odd, but I've got a LH pro, a LC 2, and most of the parts of the LH3... which seems to not boot unless the drive cage (which I don't have) is attached (there's something about the drivecage's firmware) (well, it could be one of the components I have has kicked the bucket) and my brother, for reasons passing understanding has two LPrs (the reason that mine are quirky, and his unfathomable, is that he runs his 24/7 on battery backup... could be distributed computing, but a watch calculator these days could disgrace a dual 700MHz P3.)

oh, why did I make this post... that's it, what is the model of your netserver?, and I like debian a lot, though OS/2 might be interesting

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:27 pm

It's a 5/100 LH
100mhz Pentium
192mb memory
2gb UltraSCSI system disk
3x 2gb SCA disks in the hotswap bays
50gb SCA drive in hotswap bay
NetRAID controller (don't remember the model, it's the original, old school one)
8x or something cdrom
some random PCI Base10 card
Wake up, Mr. Freeman

Wake up, and smell

the ashes

MattPayne

Unread postby MattPayne » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:39 pm

yuck... :) bin it mate... all you will run on there is Nt4, slowly :)

its not worth the noise or electricity... :(

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”