FireFox 3.0 building blues, new software requests

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
rosehillbob

FireFox 3.0 building blues, new software requests

Unread postby rosehillbob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Well I decided since I found the necessary licenses to use Digital Software Library I recently uploaded I was attempt to build a more up to date browser. I first download from HP site Seamonkey as it was the last build done. The mozilla version number is 1.19 last build before requiring gtk2.0 and cario. I found during attempting the build I had patch the configure program. The source I used was the one from HP's Seamonkey Kit so someone obviously forget to patch the source before making the kit! Well after Seamonky to build and test OK I decided to move onto a later version FireFox 3.0. I looked at people who had successfully built for IRIX (another RISC 64 bit CPU) to see what versions to various support libraries I needed to build. I download and built them all with DEC C++ expect for one minor library with I built with gcc. Now to build firefox. I configured it for DEC c++ and let it go . It finished building OK but when I looked at the binaries firefox and most the test binaries were missing in action! Well the problem is the error codes generated by the compiler were ignored by the makefile. The makefile script is a runaway! Reading about it in Tru64 notes by HP about mozilla mentioned the "sh" had problems. No kidding! I then built a replacement "sh" ie bash and made built is as a standalone binary. After doing that I found out "autoconfig" scripts work a whole lot faster. Well now it stops OK only to find Digital c++ version 6.1 is old to build firefox (unsupported c++ feature) ...rats. Well I decided to try GCC4.7 since that is what someone on nekochan used to builds the IRIX build. It looks like I will have to change something in the configuration script as where it breaks now some MACRO isn't expanding correctly but it did OK with Digital C++...Most odd ... Well I looking at how the mips code was patching to allow the IRIX to build with gcc. Hopefully I can find what is wrong over the next couple of days else I put in on the back burner to work on something interesting to me such as Blnder,OpenGL games like flight simulator,Quake,morgana's revenge,thunder and lightning or VegaStrike. Any other OpenGl requests?
:Onyx2: :O2: :Octane:

bifo

Re: FireFox 3.0 building blues, new software requests

Unread postby bifo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:15 am

These will all be under Tru64 presumably? Depending on your system config, you could give oolite a try: http://www.oolite.org/

rosehillbob

Unread postby rosehillbob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:30 am

I actually considered Oolite and it looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to do a port. I will have to download the Windows version first to see if I like it. Right now I am trying to get qt4 and webkit working OK to build the browser QTweb since I was running into too many compiler issues to get firefox 3.x to build.

rosehillbob

Unread postby rosehillbob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:38 pm

I'll start working on a OOlite port today.

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”