building current CDE on Alpha

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bifo

building current CDE on Alpha

Unread postby bifo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:48 pm

CDE's ancient, but that means that it should run quite well on old hardware. it's also open source now, along with motif. and i've been banging my head against building it on my 3000 running openbsd 6 for the last week. can anyone else try building it? doesnt really matter what system you're running so long as its unix and satisfies the dependencies, i'm just curious about errors it might throw.

also if anyone wants an account shoot me a pm, i'm not sure when i'll get around to it but its a pretty well robust system with a lot of languages and games installed.

zahal

Re: building current CDE on Alpha

Unread postby zahal » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:53 am

Hello,
I have OpenBSD on my DS15, but as far as I know, there is no X support yet. So even if you manage to build CDE it would not work (correct me if I'm wrong).
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 600MHz PIII - HP Alphaserver DS15 - Digital DECstation5000/133 - Dell T3500 - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6100/66 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6500/G3@500MHz - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh LC475 (OC Full 040 33MHz) - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Full 040 40Mhz Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - EBOX 3300A-JSK - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Compaq Armada 4120 - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP OmniBook 425 - HP 200LX - Crossbeam C12

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:01 pm

why not using the original tru64? it comes with cde by default

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 pm

zahal wrote:Hello,
I have OpenBSD on my DS15, but as far as I know, there is no X support yet. So even if you manage to build CDE it would not work (correct me if I'm wrong).

Well the story actually is that X is "broken". I don't see anyone taking the initiative to fix it either unfortunately. So I doubt it will ever be before someone decides to drop kick Alpha out of OpenBSD.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:01 am

Have you thought about trying NetBSD? I used to run X and even some Tru64 programs like Netscape. OpenBSD on Alpha always seemed to freeze up after a day or so.

If you're feeling adventurous you could always give OpenVMS a try.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:44 pm

I second the NetBSD recommendation since with broken X on OpenBSD you've no chance of getting CDE running.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:58 am

astouffer wrote:Have you thought about trying NetBSD? I used to run X and even some Tru64 programs like Netscape. OpenBSD on Alpha always seemed to freeze up after a day or so.

If you're feeling adventurous you could always give OpenVMS a try.

I have OpenVMS on mine, the only thing that sucks about it, is the total lack of ready to use software. There is that one guys site, but I got completely swamped trying to sort through it and all the dependencies.

TruHobbyist

Unread postby TruHobbyist » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:28 am

Krokodil wrote:I have OpenVMS on mine, the only thing that sucks about it, is the total lack of ready to use software. There is that one guys site, but I got completely swamped trying to sort through it and all the dependencies.

"... give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime ... "

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Porting_O ... to_OpenVMS

For us who love non-mainstream platforms you either get to teach yourself to fish or you'll end up in frustration that inevitably leads to completely turning away from it.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

TruHobbyist wrote:
Krokodil wrote:I have OpenVMS on mine, the only thing that sucks about it, is the total lack of ready to use software. There is that one guys site, but I got completely swamped trying to sort through it and all the dependencies.

"... give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime ... "

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Porting_O ... to_OpenVMS

For us who love non-mainstream platforms you either get to teach yourself to fish or you'll end up in frustration that inevitably leads to completely turning away from it.

If only we all had infinite time to spend on this stuff.

This guy does not and I really don't like it when I spend time on something and don't get anywhere.

VMS is so crusty now that it often doesn't play well with other systems, I often have SSH lock up when connecting from IRIX. The SSH ciphers are deprecated and the logicals screw with Filezilla and WinSCP. Sometimes I just want to kick it out the window.

bifo

Unread postby bifo » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:37 am

foetz wrote:why not using the original tru64? it comes with cde by default

Had to netboot the openbsd installer in order to get it working, been fighting with various drives ever since. I picked up a toshiba xm-5701b last week that should work, I think, but I'm still waiting for more hard drives to arrive. I can confirm that ultra320/SCA to 50 pin adapters work fine on my 3000/400, but beware of buying the wrong SCA drive, anything with LVM connectors won't work. I've had good luck with old maxtor atlas drives so far.

The end goal is to have two drives in it, one running tru64 and the other running openvms. I can definitely report that X works via remote session and xming, but on a 133mhz system there's not a lot of point trying to use it with a modern system like openbsd while I expect decwindows to work reasonably well on openvms and cde on tru64. Easier just to use screen -r for now, I decided.

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”