HP Integral PC

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
wenp

HP Integral PC

Unread postby wenp » Mon May 23, 2016 6:10 am

I've been reading about HP-UX 1.0 for the HP Integral PC from 1984. They stripped down the kernel to fit it into a 256K ROM, while the user space was held in a RAM disk to free up the floppy. (It had no HDD.)

Hewlett-Packard Journal, October 1985
http://www.series80.org/Misc/HP-Journal ... al-IPC.pdf

The Computer Chronicles: UNIX (1985)

EDIT: Check the video from 15:00m.

It was a quite interesting machine, with many special features to adapt to the constraints of a portable device. Not your typical Unix machine. One point that's not clear is which version of Unix that HP-UX v1.0 is derived from. I've seen both SysIII and SysV mentioned.

They did such a good job making a user friendly portable PC in 1985, it makes me wonder why they had to go with MS-DOS for consumer desktops. My first computer, an 8086 which I bought five years later, was not nearly as nice as this machine, although it was 1/5th the price.

bifo

Re: HP Integral PC

Unread postby bifo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:54 am

for years I've been fascinated by this machine, that it could boot unix from rom and had a gui that afaik wasn't based on X(?) but i've only ever seen one or two pop up on ebay within the last year or so and for extremely high prices given that they aren't demonstrably working machines and come with no software. Does anyone have one of these beasts who can rip the roms and post them up online somewhere? because there's been so much development done for m68k MMU emulators in the past few years that i'm sure an emulator could be created for it

iamcamiel

Unread postby iamcamiel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:39 pm

bifo wrote:for years I've been fascinated by this machine, that it could boot unix from rom and had a gui that afaik wasn't based on X(?) but i've only ever seen one or two pop up on ebay within the last year or so and for extremely high prices given that they aren't demonstrably working machines and come with no software. Does anyone have one of these beasts who can rip the roms and post them up online somewhere? because there's been so much development done for m68k MMU emulators in the past few years that i'm sure an emulator could be created for it

I have one, but I don't think the ROMs are socketed. I'll have a look for you.
:Onyx2: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: + various DEC, IBM, Sun, HP, ...

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:25 pm

bifo wrote:for years I've been fascinated by this machine, that it could boot unix from rom and had a gui that afaik wasn't based on X(?) but i've only ever seen one or two pop up on ebay within the last year or so and for extremely high prices given that they aren't demonstrably working machines and come with no software. Does anyone have one of these beasts who can rip the roms and post them up online somewhere? because there's been so much development done for m68k MMU emulators in the past few years that i'm sure an emulator could be created for it

Do you consider this price extremely high?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HP-Comp ... 1719013629
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

iamcamiel

Unread postby iamcamiel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:10 am

robespierre wrote:Do you consider this price extremely high?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HP-Comp ... 1719013629

That's not the HP Integral PC.I have some pictures of mine on my website: http://vaxbarn.com/index.php/collection ... ntegral-pc
:Onyx2: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: + various DEC, IBM, Sun, HP, ...

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:41 am

You need to click on "See original listing" for the pictures.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

iamcamiel

Unread postby iamcamiel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 am

robespierre wrote:You need to click on "See original listing" for the pictures.

You're right; I missed that. That's a steal!

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm

iamcamiel wrote:You're right; I missed that. That's a steal!

Provided you can manage a local pickup in Toronto, yes. A nice little lot for a nice price.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”