Digital Unix on an "a" model

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
miod

Re: Digital Unix on an "a" model

Unread postby miod » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:57 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:Right. NetBSD, Tru64, VMS, etc., need SRM. Only Linux, it seems, can tolerate ARCS.

By ARCS, I suppose you mean `AlphaBIOS'? We're not on SGI hardware here :D
:Indigo:R3000 (alas, dead) :Indigo:R4000 x4 :Indigo2:R4400 :Indigo2IMP:R4400 x2 :Indigo2:R8000 :Indigo2IMP:R10000 :Indy:R4000PC :Indy:R4000SC :Indy:R4400SC :Indy:R4600 :Indy:R5000SC :O2:R5000 x3 :O2:RM7000 :Octane:2xR10000 :Octane:R12000 :O200:2xR12000 :O200: - :O200:2x2xR10000 :Fuel:R16000 :O3x0:4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI, Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:33 am

ajw99uk wrote:
ivelegacy wrote:but ... what is your secret against vamp femme fatale, buddies ?
How can you collect workstations avoiding to be engaged into a bloody war against the girl/woman you live with, under the same roof ?

Rule 1 - say yes to pretty much everything except "will you PLEASE get rid of those d----d computers?!?"
Rule 2 - obey the "one in / one out" rule (or at least don't break it with anything big)
Rule 3 - do not try to impose a similar rule on boots / hats / whatever your significant other collects
Rule 4 - be patient; having shared a study for several years, I now have it to myself for 'putering (with more/better shelving and a second table/desk)
Rule 5 - don't mess up your significant other's computer (learned the hard way, after inadvertently leaving a laptop unbootable due to an incomplete GRUB installation)

To give my wife credit, she put up with another room being stacked half full with various computing equipment for far longer than had been anticipated when we offered some temporary storage for a small part of the TNMOC collection. Managed to hand that back shortly before our daughter arrived. But occasionally I come unstuck - the arrival of the Fuel (my second SGI box) about six weeks later did not go down well, so I had to try to sell the Indigo2 (no offers, shucks ;).

I keep within reasonable limits by going for smaller stuff - a Saintsong EspressoPC in place of a large Compaq desktop, and two Raspberry Pis - and making judicious use of KVM and VNC to do as much as possible from one monitor (or occasionally two), or from a laptop in the sitting room. Last year the girls were away for a few days so I had a chance to set up the old Acorn RISCiX boxes on the dining table for a session, and early this year an Octane snuck in on the premise that it was for someone else who then found two elsewhere.

Earlier this year an Octane also snuck into this house. Got from FedEX, dragged box down into the basement before anyone saw it, unpacked the thing, it was quite a bit bigger than it appears in photos, then hauled up to the room with the other machines in the dead of the night.

foetz wrote:
Vladio wrote:I like old but something that still has functionality. Something I can install some apps to play around with.

that's the main problem with everything but irix. for desktop use it's just nothing there with the exception of maybe some rather specific things you might have by accident such as cfd visualizers or some cad stuff.
for more common use solaris is your best bet. there you can have a quite recent firefox, openoffice and gimp but that's about it. with all others you're out of luck as far as the desktop goes unless you're fine with just a text editor and compiler i.e. a pure dev box.

There are some freeware packages floating around for Tru64, but it's pretty old stuff. You can imagine how the situation is for VMS, most of the freeware is also ancient, hasn't been touched in 2 decades and almost all of it comes exclusively in source form. Desktop applications (outside of very hard to obtain DEC era software) are practically non existent, though I did get the shareware version of wolf3d to work on it. :). Still makes a fine server though.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:51 am

Krokodil wrote:There are some freeware packages floating around for Tru64

like these: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16729289 ? :P

Still makes a fine server though.

of course, as mentioned already this is all about desktop stuff. for server use all unices are great :D

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:02 am

foetz wrote:
Krokodil wrote:There are some freeware packages floating around for Tru64

like these: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16729289 ? :P

Still makes a fine server though.

of course, as mentioned already this is all about desktop stuff. for server use all unices are great :D

I was thinking of this place actually.
https://wiki.classe.cornell.edu/Computing/Tru64Freeware

Has much more than what is offered at your link. Whether it works, I have no idea since I am using my Alpha exclusively for VMS.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:29 am

ah yeah nice never seen that. seems to be updates to the official tru64 freeware cd compaq shipped for a while. i didn't see a download link tho.
anyway as for the age, going by the versions this could be from around 2000 or so

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:23 am

miod wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote:Right. NetBSD, Tru64, VMS, etc., need SRM. Only Linux, it seems, can tolerate ARCS.

Right, I meant ARC. SGI calls it ARCS and DEC called it ARC or AlphaBIOS, both implementations of the ARC bootloader.
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:42 am

miod wrote:

Er, yes :D
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:05 pm

My partner & I have a good thing going.. we like to spend time together, but also like to do our own thing, as long as we are in the same house-ish.

She now has a wedding to plan, which we talk about, but she already has it sorted, so I throw in comments and suggestions (that I know are not going to fit) and I'm greeted with a "that's a good idea, maybe.. but [THAT'S NEVER HAPPENING]" responses. Which is fine, as I wouldn't really expect her to help me get Certificate authentication server running so DOMINO can register users..

If I have Visual Studio running with code, she knows I'm working.

If she walks into the room and can't hear her own voice and see's video looping and the big blue boxes on.. she knows I'm doing fsck all constructive and just using electricity.

If she finds me sat on the dinning room table in front of my [sons] 586, I guess she thinks I'm just making it a bit better for him (not actually creating some 90s SKYNET).

If she finds I'm not doing any of these and its after 7.. then she phones the pub!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 pm

uunix wrote:If she finds I'm not doing any of these and its after 7.. then she phones the pub!

:lol:

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:33 pm

She now has a wedding to plan

Congratulations are in order, then?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:04 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:
She now has a wedding to plan

Congratulations are in order, then?

I did congratulate her on finding the perfect man.. :D
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:23 am

uunix wrote:I did congratulate her on finding the perfect man.. :D

Judging by the avatar, you guys are even bigger procrastinators than Giovanni Arnolfini and Giovanna Cenami :P
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:29 am

hamei wrote:
uunix wrote:I did congratulate her on finding the perfect man.. :D

Judging by the avatar, you guys are even bigger procrastinators than Giovanni Arnolfini and Giovanna Cenami :P

No idea who they are chap, but yes.. we have another child also.

Last month we had been together 7 years. It took that long for my ex to divorce me, so now we are getting married a year to the day my divorce came in.

But my ex still holds the cards... THE LOFT!!!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:51 am

uunix wrote:No idea who they are chap, but yes..

Oh, man ! How quickly people forget ! It's barely 600 years since they were the hottest thing on social media :(

Last month we had been together 7 years. It took that long for my ex to divorce me,

Are you sure you want to ditch that one, youyou ? Usually they get upset a lot quicker than that.

You seem to take a lot of trips up there ... hmm ;)
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:35 am

hamei wrote:

You seem to take a lot of trips up there ... hmm ;)

I'm a man of habit.. Find a woman.. buy a house.. take over the Loft..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”