Ultrix UWM - where to find?

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: Ultrix UWM - where to find?

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:00 am

kjaer wrote: Things improve when people are of a mind to get together and improve them.

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.84.html#subj10

:P
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 am

kjaer wrote:Inconvenient software wasting time is a long way from boilers exploding and killing people. Things improve when people are of a mind to get together and improve them.

things improve when one or more people have determined what improvement is. and that's the problem, the idea of what improvement is is very subjective

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:11 pm

This talk explains why software has so far failed to develop an engineering culture:

I think he spends too little time on the subject of error recovery. There are, like he says, fairly mature systems and methodologies for verifying that programs are correct, which for some reason the industry isn't using. But there are notably fewer articles from academia about ways to make programs withstand the unexpected.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”