VT240

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

VT240

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Wandering around at work and much to my astonishment I came across this little gem:
Attachments
dec-240.jpg
dec_240.jpg
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

smj
Donor
Donor

Re: VT240

Unread postby smj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Huh - logged a lot of hours on VT240s and DEC Rainbows in the 80s. Nice to see one again.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:17 pm

smj wrote:Huh - logged a lot of hours on VT240s and DEC Rainbows in the 80s. Nice to see one again.

Me too! Wha'd you have your hooked up to?
Project:
Plan:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 pm

This is all at a small New England liberal arts college, roughly 86-91. One VAX-11/750 running VMS 4.x, one VAX-11/750 running 4.3BSD (one or both donated by the Boston Globe after they'd retired them). Later a Sun 386i (bought) and a Sun-2/150u (donated, then ignored aside from me) were added. I think at some point we gained access to the OCLC library catalog system from the terminal room as well - otherwise you had to use the dedicated Lear-Siegler ADM 11 terminals on the ground floor.

There were a handful of VT240s, and some Concept 108 terminals configured for APL, and maybe a Qume VT100 clone that escapes me - I think that was it for the main terminal room at the start of this period. Half of that room had Heath-Zenith PC-XT clones which also had serial connections. The next room was full of Rainbows, also with serial connections. Later they replaced the Concepts with the Rainbows and discouraged their use as PCs - I think they stripped the hard drives out of them to make sure...

There was some sort of mux involved in the original serial wiring. There was supposedly a way to get the mux to connect you to the administration's PR1ME. After the 386i appeared I think a proper IP terminal server showed up.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:23 am

I sure hope you took it home and cleaned it up and made sweet.. typing on it.
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm

smj wrote:This is all at a small New England liberal arts college, roughly 86-91. One VAX-11/750 running VMS 4.x, one VAX-11/750 running 4.3BSD (one or both donated by the Boston Globe after they'd retired them). Later a Sun 386i (bought) and a Sun-2/150u (donated, then ignored aside from me) were added. I think at some point we gained access to the OCLC library catalog system from the terminal room as well - otherwise you had to use the dedicated Lear-Siegler ADM 11 terminals on the ground floor.

There were a handful of VT240s, and some Concept 108 terminals configured for APL, and maybe a Qume VT100 clone that escapes me - I think that was it for the main terminal room at the start of this period. Half of that room had Heath-Zenith PC-XT clones which also had serial connections. The next room was full of Rainbows, also with serial connections. Later they replaced the Concepts with the Rainbows and discouraged their use as PCs - I think they stripped the hard drives out of them to make sure...

There was some sort of mux involved in the original serial wiring. There was supposedly a way to get the mux to connect you to the administration's PR1ME. After the 386i appeared I think a proper IP terminal server showed up.

Wow that's a pretty unique experience! I'm embarrassed to admit I can't even remember what manner of VAX mainframes we used to use ours with, we had two mainframes but I do know I never saw them, it takes an act of Congress to get into our data center and much though I'd like to I've never set foot in the place.
Last edited by vishnu on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project:
Plan:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:13 pm

duck wrote:I sure hope you took it home and cleaned it up and made sweet.. typing on it.

The only reason it can still be here here is that someone must still be using it. I can't imagine how or why because we got rid of our VAX mainframes darn near 20 years, but there it sits... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:00 pm

vishnu wrote:The only reason it can still be here here is that someone must still be using it. I can't imagine how or why because we got rid of our VAX mainframes darn near 20 years, but there it sits... :shock:

It's surprising how handy a decent serial terminal is when you don't have one around any more... :(

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:55 pm

smj wrote:It's surprising how handy a decent serial terminal is when you don't have one around any more... :(

That's true, I'm constantly null-modeming into my Octane during its frequent and many hiccups... :lol:
Project:
Plan:

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”