Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:50 pm 

so, why exactly did you even get this thing? it's not at all note worthy AFAIK. if you're going to give your dad a good reason to get pissed off don't waste it on junk.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:14 pm 

sybrfreq wrote:
well, a hp-ux machine might be fun to have, but that front panel looks like it might triple the storage space requirements. With a bit of creativity it could look like a regular desktop tower. Plus, did you really need the 400 pounds of ups batteries?

The UPS battery pack is probably dead or dying, given age. A scroller saw/sabre saw/Sawzall will do wonders at slashing the space requirements of the HP front panel.

Probably a PA-8000 at 160-180MHz. HP really liked Differential SCSI during that era. Granted, diff SCSI is a much better system and should have been standard, but the fact that it isn't makes things difficult.

Many external boxes from that era have built-in HVD-SE converters, or you can look for a DEC DWZZB - the one I got was well under $10.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:26 pm 

skywriter wrote:
so, why exactly did you even get this thing? it's not at all note worthy AFAIK. if you're going to give your dad a good reason to get pissed off don't waste it on junk.

This was one of those "I didn't think it out first" things. :oops:
I would of liked to just take the system but I was told I take it all or take nothing so I had to spend an hour dismantling the system and putting ti in the car.

edit: anyways, the old man ahs settled down now now that it is out of the living room. I think he just didn't want me cluttering it up again.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:12 am 

skywriter wrote:

Most SGI stuff I acquired was junk, surely worthless for anything I could think to do with it (other than my Octane2), yet it wasn't junk to the people I sold it to.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ones mans trash.... yadda yadda yadda... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:46 pm 

yes, but sgi gear at least has a notable lineage in graphics, cad/cam, etc... they have innovative systems architecture, and design points. that's what most people i imagine people collect it for. the hp 9000? wassat?!

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:02 pm 

These are actually kind of cool boxes. You need to find the deskside front panel and lose the rackmount version. The one I have has one. There are also graphics cards for them. Mine has a 2d version although I've never actually hooked it up to a monitor. Has a EVC connector and I don't have an adapter.

Attachment:
hp.jpg
hp.jpg [ 62.83 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:00 pm 

Hey, that looks just like my D370! Quite how the qualified for the name UltraLight, I'm baffled.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:18 pm 

It is amazing how heavy it is actually. Way heavier then it looks. Mines a 280/2. Dual 180mhz pa-8000. I really need to find a EVC adapter and give its graphics a try.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:05 pm 

Dang. You have my terminal Leaknoil. >_>
So graphics cards do actually exist? I was looking at the EISA but for a while and wondering how rare EISA video cards would be unless the graphics options were actually ISA.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 pm 

pentium wrote:
Dang. You have my terminal Leaknoil. >_>
So graphics cards do actually exist? I was looking at the EISA but for a while and wondering how rare EISA video cards would be unless the graphics options were actually ISA.

You got me curious so, I opened it up and looked inside. It appears to be something called a HP A4450A Visualize-EG card and it uses the HSC connection. There isn't much on the board actually. Especially for when it was made. I would bet its pretty limited in capability.

Here's a picture of one. Mine is identical. Missing IC's and all.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:11 am 

leaknoil wrote:

You got me curious so, I opened it up and looked inside. It appears to be something called a HP A4450A Visualize-EG card and it uses the HSC connection. There isn't much on the board actually. Especially for when it was made. I would bet its pretty limited in capability.

The bus it uses is called GSC - general system connect. Electrically it's the same as the HSC found in the server system types.

The EG stands for "Entry Graphics", so yes, it's quite limited. 1280x1024 @ 8bpp, unaccelerated. No double buffering, no overlay planes unless you have an extended memory model. The memory upgrade plugs into the white expansion connector, and makes it somewhat equivalent in function to the Visualize-8. There is also a two-head model with two EVC connectors, which makes use of the unused board area to provide a second full graphics adapter. This is what the empty solder pads are for.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:43 am 

I see now. Hmm, I wonder what it would take to find a suitable card? I guess that's a task for another day. ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:34 am 

kjaer wrote:
The bus it uses is called GSC - general system connect. Electrically it's the same as the HSC found in the server system types.

D-Series are servers. You can tell by the giant 6 foot tall rack his came in ;)

Mine has "Turbo HSC" silkscreened at that connector. Not that I imagine it makes any difference at all.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:34 pm 

leaknoil wrote:
Mine has "Turbo HSC" silkscreened at that connector. Not that I imagine it makes any difference at all.

Perhaps it is just saying it needs a fan to work.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:06 pm 

those cards are pretty easy to find on ebay (or were)