MicroVAX 3500 MMJ/console question

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
PiZzA EnGiNeEr

MicroVAX 3500 MMJ/console question

Unread postby PiZzA EnGiNeEr » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:49 pm

I recently rescued a MicroVAX 3500 and I need to connect it to a console. Is it possible to simply hook this up to a machine running hyperterminal with a MMJ/DB25 adapter cable or do I need a real Digital terminal? Are there any places to grab the necessary cable and adapter at a reasonable price. Thanks!

iKitsune

Re: MicroVAX 3500 MMJ/console question

Unread postby iKitsune » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:02 pm

If it understands the VT-whatever style control codes, it should be fine. If you find MMJ cables, let me know, I need about four.
:O3000: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :0300:

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:58 pm

For most things a VTXXX compatible terminal would be OK, or a PC terminal emulator. I ran into a few cases where OpenVMS and the HSD05 menus didn't like my Wyse, though. Per Hoff (and he should know), PuTTY works well with VAXen/VMS, and I've heard good things about Tera Term. The included HyperTerm in Windows is pretty bad, though.

One place still makes MMJ connectors, and if you ask around on ClassicCmp or Rescue (sunhelp) you can find someone who makes cables. If not you can take the tab off of a 6-pos modular jack and use that as long as you're careful.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

PiZzA EnGiNeEr

Unread postby PiZzA EnGiNeEr » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:31 am

That's a good idea.. I'll use putty when I can get a cable made up hopefully today. I picked up some RJ jacks with 6 pins that I shaved the clip off and they fit into the MMJ port. I plan on using simply some Cat5 wire to connect the MMJ to a DB9F port (normal com port on a typical PC). Now a question about the pinouts.. looking at http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/dec-mmj.html I'm guessing I have to use the H8571J pinouts to create this cable. Is that what I need to use? Thanks

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:45 pm

For a full (well, as full as you can get with MMJ) DEC423 -> RS232 cable that's the adaptor you'd use, since it has modem control/flow control lines. For a simple console you can just wire up as follows:

MMJ TxD+ -> DE9 RxD; MMJ RxD+ -> DE9 TxD; MMJ TxD- & RxD- -> DE9 SG (signal ground).
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”