Resizing AdvFS partitions on Tru64

HP/DEC/Compaq workstations/servers and operating systems (HP-UX, Tru64, OpenVMS, NonStop, etc.)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bifo

Resizing AdvFS partitions on Tru64

Unread postby bifo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm

I have a Tru64 5.1 install on a 120GB drive set up using AdvFS, unfortunately when installing it the Tru64 partitioning tool attempted to force the filesystem to fit a 4.3gb drive. I forced it to take on most of the apparently randomly partitioned-but-ignored space as a combined /usr and /var partition, but it still left me with an extremely small root which fills up constantly. I should be able to resize an AdvFS filesystem to give it an appropriate amount of space, but I'm banging my head against a wall with it. I've got both the sysadmin guide and the troubleshooting guide for Tru64, but neither goes into any real depth about partition resizing in AdvFS. Anyone know where I should look for better info on the filesystem tools, or should I just try to reinstall from scratch?

robespierre

Re: Resizing AdvFS partitions on Tru64

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:20 pm

AdvFS uses "domains", which are made up of multiple partitions. I don't have time to read the docs but it should be possible to create additional partitions and add them to the existing domain to increase the available space.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

bifo

Unread postby bifo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

robespierre wrote:AdvFS uses "domains", which are made up of multiple partitions. I don't have time to read the docs but it should be possible to create additional partitions and add them to the existing domain to increase the available space.

Right, and there should be plenty of free space left, but the tools don't seem to allow me to access them or alter the partition/domain tables. I'm wondering if the graphical tools, even under root, just aren't capable and I need to delve into the shell to find the actual tools.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm

bifo wrote:I need to delve into the shell to find the actual tools.

for system stuff always and on every os. and even if the gui stuff would support what you wanna do, the terminal always is the prefered way.

bifo

Unread postby bifo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:24 pm

foetz wrote:
bifo wrote:I need to delve into the shell to find the actual tools.

for system stuff always and on every os. and even if the gui stuff would support what you wanna do, the terminal always is the prefered way.

Of course, unfortunately the sysadmin book only gives a glancing look at the CDE administrative tools and focuses mostly on the more basic stuff for a multi-user system (basic install, user accounts, customization and so on, its an updated version of the old DUnix SysAdmin book that got a bunch of printings in the 90s). I think I need the file system admin book, which should help a bit more than the man pages and the online manuals.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 pm

on a second thought it might be easier to install it again. resizing is tricky and i don't remember whether having a combined lv is supported for the root volume.
the installer requires multiple partitions but you can create the partitions yourself and by that define the size.

Return to “HP/DEC/Compaq”