Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:58 am 

recondas wrote:
There was a whole pallet of SpacServer 1000e's abd SpacStation 5's there - nobody bid on 'em <even after they lowered the starting bid to 5 bux - for the whole pallet>.

Heh. SS1000s are pretty cool machines, but I don't think I would be willing to pay for the disposal of half a pallet of SS5s to get a few working 1000s...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:35 am 

Je-HEEEZUS. I would've gladly taken the whole pallet.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to look for surplus auctions? I figure that if I'm in Orlando, of all places, there have to be some...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:03 pm 

SUN SPARCstation IPX 4/50
As soon as I get my type 5 keyboard I'm going to install Solaris 1.1.1.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:20 pm 

MooglyGuy wrote:
Je-HEEEZUS. I would've gladly taken the whole pallet.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to look for surplus auctions? I figure that if I'm in Orlando, of all places, there have to be some...

I'd start with a check of the local universities....
This looks promising - The University of Central Florida <Orlando> School of Film and Digital Media. The link points to the 'UCF Physical Plant', who apparently administer surplus sales. That seems to indicate surplus is handled in bulk by a specific contractor - I'd find out who that is. I tracked down one in my neck of the woods - he'll sell what he can and the rest is typically 'recycled' <that's where that alpha you got came from>. If you find a local university doing public sales, you'll probably need to stop by every now and them to see what's going on, my experience has been that surplus web info is *rarely* current <if it even works>. That and they don't seem overly concerned about making the process "consumer friendly", you usually have to work at it if you want to play.

I grabbed that from a quick-n-dirty google search. You could probably tune the parameters and do a lot better.

NASA / the Kennedy Space Center has a surplus sales program that includes fixed price sales <if you don't like the whole auction thing>. The most recent auction listing happened today - there were dozens of SGI listings - computers, monitors, tape and hard drives, and a couple "presenter, high resolution" listings. There were some Sun and DEC listings, and pages of PC stuff too.

A while back there was a fair amount of SGI stuff on eBay that reportly came from Disney World - ain't that somewhere near Orlando? :wink:

Good luck

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:03 am 

1x SS5 with 70MHz MicroSparc & 32Mb/8bit FB:
Bought off ebay for a dirt cheap price, but needs improvements, seems to be quite low-end for a heavy Solaris version! I currently installed Sol7 and gave it to my brother along with a 5010pt for his internet-surfing purposes! Works well, though! I like this machine VERY much, think it has one of the best box designs ever (like the Indigo2!!)
1x U10 440 with 256Mb, Creator3D and SunPCI IIpro:
I installed Sol9 and use Gnome and CDE for my everyfay purposes! Didn't find the time to setup the SunPCI so far... I also pulled the Creator just to be able to hook it on my 5010pt via the standard VGA output! Nice cute machine, also produces very good quality sound from its built-in speaker! It acts well as a file server and 'talks' often with my Indigo2 via NFS.
1x U60 Creator3D with 1Gb and dual 360Mhz CPUs & HDs:
I bought this off an ebay auction for a ridiculously low price, but I realize that it isn't as fast and powerful as I expected... Kinda disappointed me! It now runs Sol9 & Aurora SPARC 2.0 and used for Office purposes, mainly!
I tried several installs on this machine so far, such as Sol7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (Express), Debian 3.02 & 3.1, Aurora 2.0, FreeBSD 6.0 but nothing impressed me! My Indigo2 pleases me way better!
1x SUN GDM5010pt (21'' Sony trinitron):
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! Nothing more to say ;)

Anyway, I am far from expert, in fact I now started learning a bit of UNIX as a hobbyist and all these machines ar at least interesting ;) Surely I will realize more as I will learn more secrets about them!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:12 am 

BTW, I would like to test NextStep3.3 SPARC on my SS5. Searched everywhere, but I didn't realize what happened with this project! Sun provided it officially some time ago, but then they abandoned its support and now noone knows where it can be found for purchase, download or whatever... Any help? Is it legal stuff to try to ask about some ISOs for it? I just don't know... And the most important: Is it worth a try on a SS5, or just unusable? Should I prefer OpenStep? I would just like to try out 'the real thing' for the first time... Has anyone in here used it? I read somewhere that the best NS3.3 performance ever, was in fact on the SparcStations! Any help would be appreciated :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:06 pm 

http://www.google.com/search?q=nextstep ... S:official
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=70063

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:07 am 

TeeTylerToe wrote:

Thank you for the links :)
I have already asked Apple about it, but I got no answer... Another thing, as far as I read on threads etc., it sould run even on 70Mhz SS5, not only 85 and above!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:59 am 

My Blade 1k arrived last Monday and I've finally got some spare time to post the spec's.
Code:
triangulum 149% fbconfig -prconf

--- Hardware Configuration for /dev/fb ---
Type: double-buffered AFB with Z-buffer
Board: rev 0 (Vertical)
Number of Floats: 6
PROM Information: @(#)afb.fth 1.17 98/03/06
AFB ID: 0x201df06d
DAC: Brooktree 9070, version 1 (Pac2)
3DRAM: Mitsubishi 130b, version 2
Framelock Configuration: Master
EDID Data: Not Available
Monitor Sense ID: 6  (Sun monitor)
Monitor possible resolutions: 1024x768x77, 1024x800x84, 1152x900x66,
        1152x900x76, 1280x1024x67, 1280x1024x76, 960x680x112s, 960x680x108s
Current resolution setting: 1152x900x76

triangulum 150% prtdiag -v
System Configuration: Sun Microsystems  sun4u SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000 (UltraSPARC-III)
System clock frequency: 150 MHZ
Memory size: 1GB       

==================================== CPUs ====================================
               E$          CPU                    CPU
CPU  Freq      Size        Implementation         Mask    Status      Location
---  --------  ----------  ---------------------  -----   ------      --------
0     750 MHz  8MB         SUNW,UltraSPARC-III     5.4    on-line     +-board/cpu0

================================= IO Devices =================================
Bus     Freq  Slot +      Name +
Type    MHz   Status      Path                          Model
------  ----  ----------  ----------------------------  --------------------
pci     33    +s/system-board  ebus/ns87317-ecpp (parallel)                     
              okay        /pci@8,700000/ebus@5/parallel@1,300278

pci     33    +s/system-board  ebus/se (serial)                                 
              okay        /pci@8,700000/ebus@5/serial@1,400000

pci     33    +s/system-board  pci108e,1101 (network)        SUNW,pci-eri       
              okay        /pci@8,700000/network@5,1

pci     33    +s/system-board  pciclass,0c0010 (firewire)                       
              okay        /pci@8,700000/firewire@5,2

pci     33    +s/system-board  scsi-pci1000,f (scsi-2)                         
              okay        /pci@8,700000/scsi@6

pci     33    +s/system-board  scsi-pci1000,f (scsi-2)                         
              okay        /pci@8,700000/scsi@6,1

pci     66    +s/system-board  SUNW,qlc-pci1077,2200 (scsi-+                   
              okay        /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4

upa     120   +em-board/J4501  SUNW,afb (display)            SUNW,540-3623     
              okay        /upa@8,480000/SUNW,afb@0,0

============================ Memory Configuration ============================
Segment Table:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Base Address       Size       Interleave Factor  Contains
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x0                1GB               2           BankIDs 1,3

Bank Table:
-----------------------------------------------------------
           Physical Location
ID       ControllerID  GroupID   Size       Interleave Way
-----------------------------------------------------------
1        0             1         512MB           0
3        0             1         512MB           1

Memory Module Groups:
--------------------------------------------------
ControllerID   GroupID  Labels         Status
--------------------------------------------------
0              1        chassis/system-board/J0101
0              1        chassis/system-board/J0203
0              1        chassis/system-board/J0305
0              1        chassis/system-board/J0407

=============================== usb Devices ===============================

Name          Port#
------------  -----
mouse           3
keyboard        4

============================ Environmental Status ============================
Fan Status:
-------------------------------------------
Location             Sensor          Status
-------------------------------------------
+sis/system-fan-slot system-fan      okay
chassis/cpu-fan-slot cpu-fan         okay
+s/power-supply-slot power-supply    okay

Temperature sensors:
-----------------------------------------
Location       Sensor              Status
-----------------------------------------
+em-board/cpu0 Die                 okay
+em-board/cpu0 Ambient             okay

================================ HW Revisions ================================
ASIC Revisions:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Path                   Device           Status             Revision
-------------------------------------------------------------------
/pci@8,700000          pci108e,8001     okay               4   
/pci@8,600000          pci108e,8001     okay               4   
/pci@8,700000/ebus@5   ebus             okay               1   

System PROM revisions:
----------------------
OBP 4.5.10 2002/02/11 10:38
POST 4.5.9 2002/02/05 21:25
triangulum 151%
It is running Solaris 10. I'm still amazed what a cool and quiet system it is.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:48 am 

Hi all

Sun Blade 2000
2x1.05Ghz, 2Gb ram, 73Gb HDD, XVR500, 2 x expert 3D, Monitor Sun LSA800 and 2 x DELL FPW2005, DVD ROM running solaris 10

Sun Ultra 80
4x450, 4Gb ram, 73Gb hdd, creator 3D, running solaris 10

Sparc Station 5
110 Mhz, 256 Mb, 9Gb hdd, running netbsd

Sparc Station 5 clone
85 Mhz, 128Md, 2Gb, running NeXTStep

Not in use actually, several netra AX1105 (dual USIIi motherboard)

Hardware to sell (in Paris France)

SCSI DVDROM
SCSI CDROM
SCSI CDRW
Ultra Sparc II 450 Mhz
PCI FastEthernet
DAT DDS3
A PCI Fiber channel (i don't remind the part number but i can check it)
1Gb RAM for Ultra 80

Regards,

Several Sun, Mac and Alpha

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:28 am 

I finally bit the bullet and bought those quad Hypersparc 200MHz modules for my SS20. $400 on eBay. I was waiting for the seller to drop the price, but after several relistings he seemed adament about getting that amount, and I've been wanting those chips for months. They arrived yesterday and I popped them in last night. They run hot!

So now I've got:

Sparcstation 20
4x 200MHz Hypersparc w/512kb cache
512MB RAM
18GB HDD
TurboGX graphics card
Wide/Diff SCSI card
Internal CD/Floppy

All running Solaris 2.6. Now if I can just figure out how to get ACM working on it. It complains about the system not having a random-number generator installed.

Would also love to configure this machine as a render node. I've got renderman installed but can't figure that one out either...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:35 am 

ajerimez wrote:
I finally bit the bullet and bought those quad Hypersparc 200MHz modules for my SS20. $400 on eBay. I was waiting for the seller to drop the price, but after several relistings he seemed adament about getting that amount, and I've been wanting those chips for months. They arrived yesterday and I popped them in last night. They run hot!

So now I've got:

Sparcstation 20
4x 200MHz Hypersparc w/512kb cache
512MB RAM
18GB HDD
TurboGX graphics card
Wide/Diff SCSI card
Internal CD/Floppy

All running Solaris 2.6. Now if I can just figure out how to get ACM working on it. It complains about the system not having a random-number generator installed.

The first thing I would consider doing would be to move that machine to Solaris 9.

Also, as cool as that setup is, my understanding is that the hyper sparcs are actually slower than the super sparcs (75-85mhz chips) for some things, not to mention having less L2. But you still can't beat what you just did for coolness.

Also, if you can move to onboard video, my understanding is that the CG14 is the fastest there is for 24/32bit graphics on a 32bit sparc.

ajerimez wrote:
Would also love to configure this machine as a render node. I've got renderman installed but can't figure that one out either...

What can't you figure out about it? What version?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:40 pm 

jdboyd wrote:
The first thing I would consider doing would be to move that machine to Solaris 9.

I think I've got the install discs somewhere. I was worried it would be too slow. How does 9 run compared to 2.6? Are there any great advantages to upgrading?

jdboyd wrote:
Also, as cool as that setup is, my understanding is that the hyper sparcs are actually slower than the super sparcs (75-85mhz chips) for some things, not to mention having less L2.

MHz for MHz they are slower, largely due to the smaller cache sizes. But these 200MHz chips are clocked much higher than the super sparc chips ever were, so they are faster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the fastest CPUs available for SS20 machines.

jdboyd wrote:
Also, if you can move to onboard video, my understanding is that the CG14 is the fastest there is for 24/32bit graphics on a 32bit sparc.

I'd love to have 24-bit video - just wish I didn't have to give up RAM to do it. Plus VSIMMs are hard to find and expensive. If you know of a good source please let me know...

I do have a 24-bit Leo graphics board, and I tried using it with this machine, but it ran so hot it would lock up in a matter of minutes. And that was when I had dual 180MHz CPUs, so it's completely out of the question now. I've heard the Leo's 2d speed was glacial anyway...

ajerimez wrote:

jdboyd wrote:
What can't you figure out about it? What version?

It's version 3.9, and at this point it seems like a licensing issue. LMDiag complains about invalid date format because these licenses are designated "permanent." Complete lack of documentation is not helping the problem.[/quote]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:07 pm 

ajerimez wrote:
jdboyd wrote:

I think I've got the install discs somewhere. I was worried it would be too slow. How does 9 run compared to 2.6? Are there any great advantages to upgrading?

I thought it was a bit faster personally. Plus, it is a lot more compatible with compiling software on.

Actually, if you don't want GNOME, it might be better to stick with version 8.

I've run Solaris 9 on headless SS20 servers a fair amount.

ajerimez wrote:
MHz for MHz they are slower, largely due to the smaller cache sizes. But these 200MHz chips are clocked much higher than the super sparc chips ever were, so they are faster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the fastest CPUs available for SS20 machines.

I was never able to do an acurate side by side comparison. I do have a 170mhz Hypersparc SS5 and a 75mhz super sparc ss20. I really need to get them both running at the same time with the same amount of ram. But even then, I think the SS20 has a faster ram system.

ajerimez wrote:
I'd love to have 24-bit video - just wish I didn't have to give up RAM to do it. Plus VSIMMs are hard to find and expensive. If you know of a good source please let me know...

Not a consistant source, but I've seen quite a few of them listed in the past year on the sun rescue list (hosted from sunhelp.org, see http://www.sunhelp.org/mailman/listinfo/rescue).

ajerimez wrote:
I do have a 24-bit Leo graphics board, and I tried using it with this machine, but it ran so hot it would lock up in a matter of minutes. And that was when I had dual 180MHz CPUs, so it's completely out of the question now. I've heard the Leo's 2d speed was glacial anyway...

Leo was very slow as a 2D card. I still would love to have one setup with the proper software to play with. I spend one very fun summer putting a lot of time on a SS10 with Leo board and World Tool Kit.

ajerimez wrote:
It's version 3.9, and at this point it seems like a licensing issue. LMDiag complains about invalid date format because these licenses are designated "permanent." Complete lack of documentation is not helping the problem.

I can't help at all there then.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:16 am 

W. wrote:

Sparc Station 5 clone
85 Mhz, 128Md, 2Gb, running NeXTStep

Hi!!
Any chance of providing a copy of NextStep sparc, just for my silly testing purposes??
I know that this is *not so legal*, but nowadays this has become a phantom piece of software... :) Please PM me if you like...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next