Sun Ultra10

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Shtoink

Sun Ultra10

Unread postby Shtoink » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:37 pm

I have taken lots of hardwork and a bit of hard earned cash to get this up and running and now that I do, I have no idea what to do with it. I have been playing around with Solaris and it kicked the living crap out of me every which way I went. Although there is a Flash 5 plugin for it that works.

Here are the specs on it, and every last part inside has a Sun Part#.

Ultra10 w/ 3d Creator Case badge
300Mhz Sparc IIi w/512k Cache
UPA 3D Creator Card
512MB RAM
9.1GB HDD
Floppy
24x CDROM
Type 6 KB & Mouse
20" Sun Monitor

Now that I have said all that, what the heck is this thing worht? I don't have a real purpose for it other than getting experience on other Uncies. The case is in excelent cosmetic condition and there are no alien (non-sun part numbered) parts inside. I was tempted to set it up with a 4 port NIC and maybe use it as a router, but the litle box I made was gonna be doing that. And both of them are absolute overkill for beinga router. So, unless I can come up with a purpose for it, I might have to find it a good home in the near future. I am trying to reduce the number of irons I have in the fire and narrow my focus on to just a few tasks.

Any input on this will probably be appriciated... :wink:

psergiu

Re: Sun Ultra10

Unread postby psergiu » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:42 am

Shtoink wrote: I don't have a real purpose for it other than getting experience on other Uncies.

And you just find it's purpose :)

A sun machine at home is very useful if your work implies admin-ing some large Sun beasts. You can try some "Philadelphia experiments" that you wouldn't dare at work (dd-ing with 0 the swap, stoping a drive in mid-operation and seeing what the sistem does and how you can recover from that and the all time fav: "rm -rf /" - does it stops at /bin/rm, at /lib or it deletes everything :) )

I used to have a very huge/ugly setup in my room with 7 computers. I moved the most of them in a storage room which (with a little ventilation magic) was declared a dataroom. I kept on my desk only an athlon and the sgi. The rest of the computers have a serial console and it's enough.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sun Ultra10

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:34 pm

One of these days I'm going to install Solaris 9 x86 on a PeeCee to play with ... just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Slide

Unread postby Slide » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:12 am

An Ultra10 is a capable desktop, but man -- ditch CDE (if you haven't already). Solaris 9 offers GNOME if you like (free download from http://www.sun.com), otherwise, it's pretty trivial to get other things like Enlightenment or WindowMaker up and running.

A couple useful sites: http://www.sunfreeware.com/ and http://www.sunhelp.org/

Note that, aside from chassis, the Ultra5 and Ultra10 are veritably the same machine...

Also worth noting is that, like the IRIX boxes, Sun doesn't setup 24-bit on the framebuffer out of the box, but the procedure to configure it for 24-bit is also quite similar.

Make a directory tree like so:
/etc/dt/config

Copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers into /etc/dt/config
Edit /etc/dt/config/Xservers

Change the line that reads:
:0 Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner
to
:0 Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner defclass TrueColor defdepth 24

Hope that helps.. :)

max_impact

Unread postby max_impact » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:35 pm

:shock: <shudder>

Onyx_RE2

Unread postby Onyx_RE2 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:55 pm

I'm sorry to all the folks you have a SUN box(es) at home, and this includes me.
To have fun, stick with the SGI boxes. SUN is all business (ie. learn it if it will help you in your career path).
The one thing I have to congratulate SUN on is that they let you download their OS for free (Sparc edition, x86 edition costs $20 to download).
The day SGI does this will be an amazing day indeed.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:15 pm

The only Sun box I still have left at home is a 3/80. It's not working at the moment (has a bad RAM SIMM I need to replace someday) and I think my SunOS 4.1.1 tapes have probably gone bad, but it was actually a fun machine back in the day :) I'd love to find CD media for SunOS 4.1.1/sun3x ... I understand it was made, but have never actually seen one. You can still download the OS for free so it isn't a big thing, but a bootable CD would be neato :wink:
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to “Sun”