sunray1

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
radrob

sunray1

Unread postby radrob » Fri May 13, 2005 5:27 am

hi all
i got a sunray1 for the price of a beer
but i have no experience with that and i'd like someone can help me a bit

..anyone has a guide on how open the box for take a look inside it?
best
rob

gus

Unread postby gus » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:12 pm

I've got about 10 of them, not up and running at the moment tho. I've had sunray's working on both solaris 9 and redhat enterprise 3 using the beta sun ray server 3 software from sun's download page. I've seen directions on how to get them working with debian (never tried myself) and a buddy of mine tried with gentoo with no luck.

Never had to rip one open. I think the specs on sun's page say like 100mhz ultrasparc and 8 megs ram. you'll want a good network and a beefy server to run them on. trust me, a sun ultra 5 will come to it's knees with about 3 or 4 sunray clients. I had to use my sun enterprise 250 (dual 450's, gig o ram) to keep all of them happy. for redhat I had a dual 2.4 xeon machine with 2 gigs and no problems.

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:54 pm

throwing some cheap dual processor x86 sounds like a much better idea for those sunrays... hmm, ray... that rings a anime mecha bell, maybe with blue gender or something.

Return to “Sun”