solaris help please

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
TeeTylerToe

solaris help please

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:20 am

ok, my friend tried to instal sol10 on a sun4m... it didn't work, he tossed it to me, I'm not particularly interested, I'd just like to return it to him with a working OS. so, happy as a bee, I dload sol 9, and install it... I wait about an hour for the 2X cdrom to start the install... and it says "you need at least 96 MB" well, I figure that it'll run, it just won't install on 64, so I borrow my brother's SS20, and install it, everything's fine, and dandy...

I boot on the ss5, and while the openboot software knows the right place to look for slice 0 of target 3, the sol9 inst on s0t3 looks in the place appropriate for a ss20, which isn't appropriate for a ss5, so it panics, there's no root drive, so it mounts the root drive, which it cannot find read-only, and tells me to fsck it... both the /dev entry, and the whole /devices tree are wrong. two questions. how do I remount the root partion read write, and then how do I fix this (at boot it announces the place that it looks to find the boot partion, and this is different from where the /dev/ link looks) so I figure what to do is edit /etc/mnttab and replace the false location with the location announced by openboot... if I could only figure out how to get back to read/write.

thanks

yetanother**ixuser
Donor
Donor

Unread postby yetanother**ixuser » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:09 pm

sunsolve is your friend

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:02 am

couldn't get any search to get me the right documents, assuming they exist.

cosmos

Re: solaris help please

Unread postby cosmos » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:27 am

TeeTylerToe wrote:ok, my friend tried to instal sol10 on a sun4m... it didn't work, he tossed it to me, I'm not particularly interested, I'd just like to return it to him with a working OS. so, happy as a bee, I dload sol 9, and install it... I wait about an hour for the 2X cdrom to start the install... and it says "you need at least 96 MB" well, I figure that it'll run, it just won't install on 64, so I borrow my brother's SS20, and install it, everything's fine, and dandy...

I boot on the ss5, and while the openboot software knows the right place to look for slice 0 of target 3, the sol9 inst on s0t3 looks in the place appropriate for a ss20, which isn't appropriate for a ss5, so it panics, there's no root drive, so it mounts the root drive, which it cannot find read-only, and tells me to fsck it... both the /dev entry, and the whole /devices tree are wrong. two questions. how do I remount the root partion read write, and then how do I fix this (at boot it announces the place that it looks to find the boot partion, and this is different from where the /dev/ link looks) so I figure what to do is edit /etc/mnttab and replace the false location with the location announced by openboot... if I could only figure out how to get back to read/write.

thanks

sun4m is not supported anymore in solaris 10.
The preceding thoughts were brought to you by Jack Daniels.

Return to “Sun”