Sun´s Niagara multithreaded chip

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
themacosxflies

Sun´s Niagara multithreaded chip

Unread postby themacosxflies » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:57 pm

Info here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19423

"...a new architecture that everyone will be jumping aboard soon..."

sooner than later?, really?, how is SGI positioned/placed into this now that it depends on Intel CPUs? :(

Why can SUN do it and SGI can not?
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

GeneratriX

Re: Sun´s Niagara multithreaded chip

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:37 pm

themacosxflies wrote:Info here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19423

"...a new architecture that everyone will be jumping aboard soon..."

sooner than later?, really?, how is SGI positioned/placed into this now that it depends on Intel CPUs? :(

Why can SUN do it and SGI can not?

That was always my point, Angel! :roll:

...Why not?

What is sustaining Solaris over IRIX? ...What is the difference? ...They are not both propietary OS, against GNU/GPL OS?

Good technological/marketing decision on Sun side! ;)

Protecting their own propietary technological/intelectual investment capital, they are preserving their strategical advantage over the rest.

That's the real way to go. I've included Linux/Intel on my development RoadMap... and I could be glad to remove it if SGI simply shows more interest on IRIX/MIPS again...

The fact is: mind breaking is needed. We are not talking now of just get alive again the R18K project. More is needed now.

But you are 100% right:

If Sun can do it, another companies can do it too...

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:27 pm

on the one hand, delivering bad news isn't fun
on the other, I'm an uppity smart ass.

because the stronghold of SGI was graphics processing. since the mid '90s, the graphics processing potential of the x86 platform has increased on the order of 1000 fold. I'm not sure how the graphics processing potential of the SGI platform has changed over the same time, or where it is relative to the position the x86 platform is in today.

what I do know, is that Fujitsu, and SUN are still deceveloping SPARC chips, whereas the impression I've gotten, is that the MIPS line has been stale since the R12K, and with the adoption of the Itanium 2, and with the cessation of the MIPS line... SGI has abandoned their primary role in hardware, and essentially become nothing more then a Intel OEM in the hardware sphere of their operations.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:10 pm

The difference? Sun has stood behind Solaris. They ported it to the x86 chip. They seem to be getting a clue that their customers want Solaris but on commodity hardware.

SGI is pretty much abandoned Irix. While it would nice, I doubt SGI is going to port Irix to x86 anytime soon.

Oh and MIPS chip is still evolving and growing and it powers the most powerful console on the planet (The Playstation 2).

Return to “Sun”