Solaris 10 to be Open Source

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dubhthach

Solaris 10 to be Open Source

Unread postby Dubhthach » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:24 am

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/09/14/1250254.shtml?tid=130&tid=102&tid=8

http://news.com.com/'Open+Source+Solaris'+to+debut+this+year/2100-7344_3-5364052.html

I had heard about this a while ago, i wonder what sorta licensing they are going to use, also will they have issues with SCO

What do people think?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:01 am

it isn't enough to open source your software. you need to the support structure, and cooperation of an OOSS community to make it viable. I haven't seen that happening.

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:00 am

So, in what kind of hardware is supposed to run once it goes open source?, Sun boxes only?
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:10 pm

themacosxflies wrote:So, in what kind of hardware is supposed to run once it goes open source?, Sun boxes only?

sun is outsourcing their processor development to fujitsu... giving away the source code, going the 'pay as you go utility computing game'. they're becoming a services company. natural evolution.

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:34 pm

themacosxflies wrote:So, in what kind of hardware is supposed to run once it goes open source?, Sun boxes only?

Solaris 9 ran on most Wintel/WinAMD ~ish X86 hardware, along with Sun Boxes... I wouldn't be surpised if Solaris 10 was either only the X86, or both as well. Though, one never knows. I think that it took 9 awhile (or am I "thinking" wrong?) to come out on X86, so it might be that way for 10.

I hope that they'll work on both platforms anyway.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:24 pm

Solaris 10 is been launched for three platforms SPARC, x86 and x86_64 (AMD64) from what i read it's going to be launched at same time for all three platforms, after all Sun are now in the business of selling Opteron servers.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

cosmos

Unread postby cosmos » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:17 pm

skywriter wrote:

sun is outsourcing their processor development to fujitsu... giving away the source code, going the 'pay as you go utility computing game'. they're becoming a services company. natural evolution.

We look forward to calling sun support and being redirected to the payphone block at the local junior high or little billy and his never seen the light of day D&D buddies urging you to "just recompile the kernel dude" at 3am with your system in tatters from previous support calls with his buddies tony the tux monkey, roger "still living at home at 35", and our all time favorite the uninteligible foreigner in some dank outsourced dungeon somewhere in the third world.

cheers
The preceding thoughts were brought to you by Jack Daniels.

mia

Unread postby mia » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:22 pm

So who's porting solaris on sgi hardware :)

mia

Unread postby mia » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:23 pm

More interesting would be when IRIX would be opensource, oh I forgot sgi does linux now, what a shame.

cosmos

Unread postby cosmos » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:49 pm

Jason wrote:More interesting would be when IRIX would be opensource, oh I forgot sgi does linux now, what a shame.

the word from within is a new line of linux only desktops will replace all mips/irix visual workstations in early 2005 when irix is officially declared EOL.

and there will be much rejoicing in tux land...
The preceding thoughts were brought to you by Jack Daniels.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:48 pm

cosmos wrote:the word from within is a new line of linux only desktops will replace all mips/irix visual workstations in early 2005 when irix is officially declared EOL.

Yep, sgi is now busy liquidating all the IRIX/MIPS stuff to generate some kind of revenue... Impossible to get a loaner machine, impossible to get developer's attention to any MIPS-related stuff, 4x700MHz Tezro @ $18K, new sales guys not even trained on IRIX/MIPS, layoffs and resignation of good IRIX people... Well, the bright side is next year, we'll be able to buy a Tezro for $2,500... Or a brand new Linux shite for $5,000, but it won't run many of the products I'm using... So I guess I'll keep using my Octanes, and will not renew my service contracts for sure...
cosmos wrote:and there will be much rejoicing in tux land...

You bet, the triumph of XFree86 ATI crap running Linsucks... The triumph of quantity over quality... Very good!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:31 pm

unixmuseum wrote:You bet, the triumph of XFree86 ATI crap running Linsucks... The triumph of quantity over quality... Very good!

gresham's law - bad drives out good. SGI will be bankrupt within a year, unless the DoD props them up.

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:46 pm

hamei wrote:gresham's law - bad drives out good. SGI will be bankrupt within a year, unless the DoD props them up.

I don't know how often I have hard this sentence within the last years, but sgi seems to be some kind of cat ... with many lives ... and I hope that we do not see the last one of them now.

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:36 am

Brombear wrote: I don't know how often I have hard this sentence within the last years, but sgi seems to be some kind of cat ... with many lives ... and I hope that we do not see the last one of them now.

yup, but if Unixmuseum is correct, even if they don't go tits-up, as far as we Irix aficionados are concerned they may as well have. I can't see them making a career out of selling Linux, personally ... others have tried and failed. Others with a lot more business sense than SGI has displayed over the past several years ... Hell, they couldn't make a go of selling Windows machines and there's a lot more margin in Windws than in Linux.

It doesn't seem likely their old customers will forget being screwed over either, and what do they have to offer to new customers that's so special ? Renamed ATI All-in-Wonder cards ? $40 Adaptec firewire cards that don't work, for $500 ? What was Dexter1 just trying to make go, but couldn't because the driver was no good ? Basically, it looks like SGI can't find its ass with both hands these days.

Oh well. Life goes on.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:24 pm

Unfortunatedly SGI hasn't been able to find their own arse with a search light for many years. Even when they were a MIPS/Irix shoppe...

From the late 90s on, it almost seemed as if SGI was trying to outdumb anyone else in the Tech industry. Frankly I am amused they have managed to stay afloat this long.

I have a lot of friends who worked there, and oh... the stories they tell me. Also dealing with SGI has been "fun" for many years. In the early 90s they had an amazing momentum, but they managed to squander all of that. I mean who else would take one of the most recognizable logos in the tech industry and dump it for some sort of 3rd grade art project? WTF!

Return to “Sun”