Would you like some Java with that JavaStation?

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Irinikus

Would you like some Java with that JavaStation?

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:40 am

I have managed to get my hands on a JavaStation, but I will have to gent my hands on at least one more of these systems to be able to get one up and running.

For now, it will just have to act as a nice desk top ornament!

does anyone here have any experience with one of these systems?

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:
Image... Image ...:arrow:
Image................Image ......:arrow:
Image.........................Image Image....:arrow:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Would you like some Java with that JavaStation?

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Wow, that is a thing of beauty! Where did you find one in such pristine condition? The thing's gotta be darn near 20 years old by now. :shock:

I've never seen one In Real Life but it looks like this information might be accurate:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/JavaStation-HOWTO.html#WhatIsChapter
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 pm

vishnu wrote:Wow, that is a thing of beauty! Where did you find one in such pristine condition? The thing's gotta be darn near 20 years old by now. :shock:

I've never seen one In Real Life but it looks like this information might be accurate:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/JavaStation-HOWTO.html#WhatIsChapter

I bought it on eBay, I had a daily search running on eBay for one of these systems for about a year before one became available!

It’s a really cool little machine. :D
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:

halfmanhalftaco

Unread postby halfmanhalftaco » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Funny that you post this, I just picked up a Javastation-1 (aka Mr. Coffee) and have been trying to get it working... It's a little different hardware-wise than your Krups but maybe some of my experience will be useful. Mine has the newer 3.x OpenBoot/OFW so it should boot in a similar way to your Krups.

I replaced the NVRAM, but I couldn't break into OpenBoot to reprogram it so I ended up doing that on a different machine. I later found out that a Manufacturing Test jumper on the board will give you a 6 second window to break into the prompt.

I got NetBSD (6.1.5) booting on it which was not terribly difficult, you just need a DHCP server that can set the "next server", "boot file" and "root path" dhcp options, then a TFTP server with the javastation-specific "bootjs.net" netbsd bootloader on it (the "boot file" param), and then an NFS server (path on the "next server" in the "root path" param) with the NetBSD binary sets extracted and the appropriate kernel - there are specific kernels for Mr Coffee and Krups Javastations included.

The console is kinda messed up looking and I can't get X working, but it does boot!

:Indy: :Indigo2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane:
Indy XL24 R4600SC 133MHz | Indigo2 Extreme R4400 250MHz | Octane MXI 2xR12000 300MHz
2x Octane SE 2xR10000 195MHz
SPARCstation 20 SX 2x125MHz HyperSPARC | SPARCstation 20 TurboGX+ 2x60MHz SuperSPARC-II
SPARCstation IPC GX 25MHz SPARC | SPARCstation IPX GX 40MHz SPARC | SPARCclassic TurboGX 50MHz microSPARC
SPARCclassic X cg3 50MHz microSPARC | Sun Blade 100 Expert3D-Lite 500MHz UltraSPARC IIe
JavaStation-1 (Mr. Coffee) 110MHz microSPARC-IIe
https://halfmanhalftaco.com/inventory/

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am

That’s very cool!
It’s also in very good condition!

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Personally not a big believer in Java as a technology but those are two very cool units! :)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

halfmanhalftaco

Unread postby halfmanhalftaco » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 am

vishnu wrote:Personally not a big believer in Java as a technology but those are two very cool units! :)

Luckily (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective), it's difficult to actually run Java on these things because the original OS (JavaOS) is difficult/impossible to find. I think JavaOS was basically meant as a thin client though, and not an actual OS. This led into the SunRay line of hardware which is even more locked down - the SunRay 1/1g also have microSPARC-II processors like these javastations but they don't have OpenBoot and from what I'm told are locked to running only signed code. Haven't really seen any workarounds for that hardware. I have a SunRay 1g but it is just a snazzy looking brick.

I believe the SunRay 2 and up had MIPS CPUs in them and I think they have been coerced into running Linux but I'm not sure.
:Indy: :Indigo2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane:
Indy XL24 R4600SC 133MHz | Indigo2 Extreme R4400 250MHz | Octane MXI 2xR12000 300MHz
2x Octane SE 2xR10000 195MHz
SPARCstation 20 SX 2x125MHz HyperSPARC | SPARCstation 20 TurboGX+ 2x60MHz SuperSPARC-II
SPARCstation IPC GX 25MHz SPARC | SPARCstation IPX GX 40MHz SPARC | SPARCclassic TurboGX 50MHz microSPARC
SPARCclassic X cg3 50MHz microSPARC | Sun Blade 100 Expert3D-Lite 500MHz UltraSPARC IIe
JavaStation-1 (Mr. Coffee) 110MHz microSPARC-IIe
https://halfmanhalftaco.com/inventory/

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 am

vishnu wrote:Personally not a big believer in Java as a technology

Yeah, me too. But that cup of java looks like I might enjoy it :)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:20 am

jan-jaap wrote:

idk, it gives a nice performance boost!

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 am

spiroyster wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:

idk, it gives a nice performance boost!

I always say that life doesn’t begin until you’ve had a good cup of coffee in the morning! :D

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

I used to run one of the second gen javastations as a diskless NetBSD client. It booted from a DEC Alpha running NetBSD and remote X worked. I even had Netscape running with the Tru64 compatibility libs.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am

Some more pics of my JavaStation-10:

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

jpstewart
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jpstewart » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm oddly fond of the way it looks with the "doors" open. There's something about just having them, that shows the designers put some thought into both form and function. They make it look like a well thought out system. (Although I have never used one, so I don't know if that holds up in reality.) It's certainly interesting hardware.

Thanks for sharing the pics!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:39 pm

jpstewart wrote:I'm oddly fond of the way it looks with the "doors" open. There's something about just having them, that shows the designers put some thought into both form and function.

To me, it resembles a troop carrier from Star Wars: The Clone Wars! :D

Return to “Sun”