Sunfire v880 with XVR-4000

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Irinikus

Re: Sunfire v880 with XVR-4000

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 am

I should be receiving the system in the next two weeks.

It has the following specs:

Sun Fire V880 New Open Box
6x 1.2GHz UltraSPARC iii CPU's
XVR-4000
48GB RAM
1x 73GB
3x PSUs
Deskside unit

All that I can say is that shipping's a bitch! As the system is being shipped to me form the UK! (All 150Kg of it!)
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 am

I received my V880z today. (everything inside the machine is absolutely brand new!)

The company that I bought the machine from: (Wildfire Systems in the UK) was not able to offer me the V880z cosmetic upgrade kit, so the machine has the standard V880 cosmetics for now, until I can source an upgrade kit of it.

By the way, the people at Wild Fire Systems are very accommodating and an absolute pleasure to deal with! :D

I am unfortunately unable to run it up at the moment as I don't have the necessary: power cables, monitor cable or keyboard and mouse available to me at this time! As all of my other equipment is in Cape Town. (ridiculous ha!)

Just one question: Would I by any chance be able to use one of my SGI 13W3 monitor interface cables with this machine? (My cables are in Cape Town at the moment though)

The expansion side of the machine is rather bare at this time, so I will have to change that in the future.:D

It will make a good movable table for the moment though. :D

Here are some pics:

V880 Front.jpg

V880 rear.jpg

V880 expansion side (front).jpg

V880 expansion side.jpg

V880 CPU side (front).jpg

V880 CPU side.jpg

CPU+GPU close.jpg

XVR-4000 close.jpg

XVR-4000 interface plate.jpg
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

johnnym
Donor
Donor

Unread postby johnnym » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:03 am

Irinikus wrote:I received my V880z today. (everything inside the machine is absolutely brand new!)
[...]
I am unfortunately unable to run it up at the moment as I don't have the necessary: power cables, monitor cable or keyboard and mouse available to me at this time! As all of my other equipment is in Cape Town. (ridiculous ha!)

If you just want to see it working, apart from two power cables (according to the Sun Fire 880 Server Owner's Guide on page 15, a minimum of two PSUs are required) you'd only need a serial adapter cable (DSUB25 to DSUB9, the pinout of the serial port is described on page 188 in the guide linked above) and a serial port (e.g. via a USB to serial adapter) on your terminal machine. screen (e.g. screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600cs8) works well for me. With Solaris and RSC software installed you can also configure the RSC card and access and control the machine remotely from there (both via network or serial).

Irinikus wrote:The expansion side of the machine is rather bare at this time, so I will have to change that in the future.:D

It would be interesting to see what this machine could do with a 10 Gbps NIC (e.g. an Intel 82597EX based on). I wasn't yet able to check this with my Enterprise 450 or Ultra 80 with four UltraSPARC II CPUs each but have seen about 1 Gbps from an Enterprise 250 with two 400 MHz UltraSPARC II CPUs with such a NIC in the 66 MHz PCI64 slot.

Irinikus wrote:It will make a good movable table for the moment though. :D

Yeah, that's a nice extra feature.

Irinikus wrote:Here are some pics:

Gorgeous! :o How does it smell, like a new car? ;)
:Indy: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: = :O200: (O200 cluster w/2 GIGAchannel cabinets)
[ ( hp ) ] 712/80 c3000 (dead) :hpserv: (J5600) c3700 c3750 c8000 rp2470 :rx2600: (rx2620) rx4640
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l | AXPpci33 AlphaStation 200 AlphaStation 255 PWS 500au AlphaServer DS20E AlphaServer DS25
C O B A L T Qube 2 Qube 3 RaQ RaQ 2 RaQ 4r RaQ XTR

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 am

johnnym wrote:If you just want to see it working, apart from two power cables (according to the Sun Fire 880 Server Owner's Guide on page 15, a minimum of two PSUs are required) you'd only need a serial adapter cable (DSUB25 to DSUB9, the pinout of the serial port is described on page 188 in the guide linked above) and a serial port (e.g. via a USB to serial adapter) on your terminal machine. screen (e.g. screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600cs8) works well for me. With Solaris and RSC software installed you can also configure the RSC card and access and control the machine remotely from there (both via network or serial).

Wildfire Systems did provide me with a paper copy of the Test Output from the system before they shipped it, it's extremely long!

Thanks very much for the info, I will try to get hold of the necessary cables as soon as possible. The only other machine that I have with me at my home in Pretoria is my trashcan mac, so I will definitely need a USB to serial adapter in order to use this machine as a terminal. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with the mac, so hence forth I don't have a USB keyboard and mouse at my disposal.

How do I set the mac up as a terminal, as I usually make use of a laptop with Windows XP on it? (hyper-terminal)

johnnym wrote:It would be interesting to see what this machine could do with a 10 Gbps NIC (e.g. an Intel 82597EX based on). I wasn't yet able to check this with my Enterprise 450 or Ultra 80 with four UltraSPARC II CPUs each but have seen about 1 Gbps from an Enterprise 250 with two 400 MHz UltraSPARC II CPUs with such a NIC in the 66 MHz PCI64 slot.

I would definitely like to experiment with a 10Gbps NIC on this machine, as well as one of those SUN PC cards (I've seen a video by Doogie Rick on Youtube, where he installs one of these cards in his V880).

johnnym wrote:Gorgeous! :o How does it smell, like a new car? ;)

It smells like a new machine, and that smell is hard to beat! :D

johnnym
Donor
Donor

Unread postby johnnym » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 am

Irinikus wrote:How do I set the mac up as a terminal, as I usually make use of a laptop with Windows XP on it? (hyper-terminal)

I actually don't know. Quoting

ClassicHasClass wrote:ClassicHasClass

here, maybe he has an idea? If you have Homebrew installed you should be able to use screen with a similar command line than what I wrote above. You only need to know the device for the attached USB to serial adaptor, though I'm not sure if you still need to install a driver for it on OS X beforehand.

Irinikus wrote:I would definitely like to experiment with a 10Gbps NIC on this machine, as well as one of those SUN PC cards (I've seen a video by Doogie Rick on Youtube, where he installs one of these cards in his V880).

Cool, I think I missed that, will have a look. Thanks for the pointer.

Irinikus wrote:
johnnym wrote:Gorgeous! :o How does it smell, like a new car? ;)

It smells like a new machine, and that smell is hard to beat! :D

Hey maybe this smell is also available bottled, just like new car smell... :lol:
:Indy: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: = :O200: (O200 cluster w/2 GIGAchannel cabinets)
[ ( hp ) ] 712/80 c3000 (dead) :hpserv: (J5600) c3700 c3750 c8000 rp2470 :rx2600: (rx2620) rx4640
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l | AXPpci33 AlphaStation 200 AlphaStation 255 PWS 500au AlphaServer DS20E AlphaServer DS25

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 am

Another option is to maybe make use of the S-Video output on the XVR-4000, as my monitor does have an S-Video input.

I will then just have to source the three kettle-plug power cables and a nice USB Keyboard and mouse.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 am

Apologies, the monitor doesn't have an S-Video input, but it does have HDMI, so I will need to get hold of an S-Video to HDMI converter.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:33 am

Irinikus wrote:How do I set the mac up as a terminal, as I usually make use of a laptop with Windows XP on it? (hyper-terminal)

I have always liked ZTerm for this. It's an old-school System 7 application that was ported to Carbon and then to Intel for OSX 10.7 and later. It gives you control of the serial line speed; an alternative is to use screen as a terminal ("man screen" and search (/) for WINDOW five times) or to use cu (cu -l /dev/tty.usbserial-portA -s 115200 dir) ("man cu"). screen and cu are both part of the default OSX installation. ZTerm has other features that can be really important, like file up/down-load with X/Y/Zmodem etc.

Irinikus wrote:Apologies, the monitor doesn't have an S-Video input, but it does have HDMI, so I will need to get hold of an S-Video to HDMI converter.

The S-Video output may not be capable of displaying a readable console. Especially if the full 1280x1024 area is scaled down to standard definition.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 am

robespierre wrote:

I have always liked ZTerm for this. It's an old-school System 7 application that was ported to Carbon and then to Intel for OSX 10.7 and later. It gives you control of the serial line speed; an alternative is to use screen as a terminal ("man screen" and search (/) for WINDOW five times) or to use cu (cu -l /dev/tty.usbserial-portA -s 115200 dir) ("man cu"). screen and cu are both part of the default OSX installation. ZTerm has other features that can be really important, like file up/down-load with X/Y/Zmodem etc.

Irinikus wrote:Apologies, the monitor doesn't have an S-Video input, but it does have HDMI, so I will need to get hold of an S-Video to HDMI converter.

The S-Video output may not be capable of displaying a readable console. Especially if the full 1280x1024 area is scaled down to standard definition.

Thanks very much for the info, I will most likely only be able to mess around with the machine properly on the weekend, but at least its here. :D

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 am

I have sent an email to Wildfire systems, asking whether the system has been configured to allow me to get a console over the network port on the RSC card.

I will hopefully get an answer tomorrow.

If the machine is set up correctly, then how would I interface it with my Mac to give me a console over network?

johnnym
Donor
Donor

Unread postby johnnym » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 am

Irinikus wrote:If the machine is set up correctly, then how would I interface it with my Mac to give me a console over network?

Have a look at the Remote System Control User's Guide. In general you should be able to use telnet - assuming this is available on OS X - to the configured IP address. If you don't know what is configured, just login via the serial console port of the RSC, AFAIK a blue Cisco RJ45 to female DSUB9 should work - at least it worked for me on Enterprise 250 and SunFire 280R systems. After logging in to the RSC via its serial console port you can determine (shownetwork command) or manually configure an IP address for the RSC's network port (with set <VARIABLE> <VALUE>, network related variables are listed starting on page 72 of the above guide).

Alternatively you can also enable to use DHCP instead - which also seems to be the default. So if you have a DHCP server running and you can determine which IP address the RSC received, you can just login via telnet.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 am

I have taken a pic of the first page test output that they gave me, it appears that they logged in to the console via the RSC.

IMG_2952.JPG

johnnym
Donor
Donor

Unread postby johnnym » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 am

Irinikus wrote:I have taken a pic of the first page test output that they gave me, it appears that they logged in to the console via the RSC.

IMG_2952.JPG

Yeah, looks like the boot messages of the RSC. The top part gives the credentials for login. I assume they used the RSC via its serial port, as (1) I don't think that RSC already came with SSH and (2) PuTTY can also be used as serial terminal.

You could give it a try via network as soon as you have two power cables, the RSC should start up as soon as standby power is available. Maybe the RSC will also already work with only one active PSU, but you won't be able to start the whole machine with one active PSU only.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks very much for all the help, I really appreciate it!

I will buy the required kettle-plugs and will try to access the system via the network tomorrow.

They did supply a network cable with the system, so this may be a good sighn. :D

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:23 pm

It looks like Solaris is not installed on the system drive of the machine, so this will have to be purchased.

I was stupid to not have done this initially, but I will order all of the SUN peripherals for this machine from Wild Fire Systems and then get it up and running properly. (This might take some time though, as this machine has cost me a hell of allot already, it's the second most expensive computer I've ever bought next to my PC.)

@johnnym, you have mentioned your liking for the Enterprise 10000 (Starfire) in the past, what an awesome machine!

For shits and giggles I will ask Wild Fire Systems to give me quote on one of these machines (let's see how feasible it would be to obtain one of these machines in the future)

Besides the price (which will more than likely be astronomical), size will probably be a problem, depending on how wide the machine is with it's side panels removed.

Return to “Sun”