Openwin 3.0 problems setting resolution on SUN IPX

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MattisLind

Openwin 3.0 problems setting resolution on SUN IPX

Unread postby MattisLind » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:26 am

Hi!

So I have a SparcStation IPX that I put SunOS 4.1.4 on and then attempted to start OpenWindows 3.0 on. But there seems to be a mismatch in what resolution Openwin thinks it should use and the actual frame buffer resolution since the screen looks strange. The mouse pointer is fine though. Actually I had it run OpenBSD before I put SunOS on it and the situation was the same even there so I don't think it is an OS thing.

The LCD which I have connected through a 13W3 to VGA cable tells me the resolution is 1280x1024@76Hz. I am not 100% sure that this is the actual resolution though. When starting up SunOS it reports that the cgsix0 device is there with resolution 1000x1022! Isn't that an odd resolution setting?

Somewhere I learned that the GX built into the IPX has only one megabyte of video memory so 1280x1024 at 8bpp should not be possible.

I have tried setting the eeprom settings for the output-device to just about any possible setting (screen:r1152x900x76 etc) ). But it doesn't make any difference. I tried to find a way forcing OpenWin to use another resolution but I could not find any way forward here. Have read SUN frame buffer FAQ back and forth without getting anywhere.

I know that there are sense lines built into the 13W3 connector that tell the frame buffer something about the screen. But unless I tamper with the nice cable I am unable to change this. Isn't there a way to override the sense lines in the 13W3 connector somehow?

Any help appreciated!

BTW. I learned the hard way that new NVRAM clock chips are not compatible with the IPX. I had to glue a battery on top of the old NVRAM!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Openwin 3.0 problems setting resolution on SUN IPX

Unread postby uunix » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:45 am

I would reduce it to 1280x1024_60 for an LCD screen.

[Edit] Sorry just noticed this line:
"I have tried setting the eeprom settings for the output-device to just about any possible setting (screen:r1152x900x76 etc) ). "
[Edit - Edit] I recall, the last SUN I setup, setting the video in the prom, had no effect on the windows system and I had to change an X related config file.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SAQ

Re: Openwin 3.0 problems setting resolution on SUN IPX

Unread postby SAQ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Do you have a CG6 SBus card to try?

What are the sense pins wired up for in the adapter? There's a list of resolutions at http://ps-2.kev009.com/rs6000/13w3/13w3_pinout.html.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Return to “Sun”