Rumors of Oracle ending Solaris development

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Elf
Donor
Donor

Re: Rumors of Oracle ending Solaris development

Unread postby Elf » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:06 am

Krokodil wrote:The one key thing missing from BSD ZFS is the native ZFS encryption. Everyone waited and hoped Oracle would release the updated code, but they never did, despite claiming they would. Although a mysterious, illegal, complete source code dump for Solaris 11 appeared in cyberspace soon after.

I sort of hope that the majority of new ZFS development will continue under FreeBSD's ZFS. Perhaps with continued development, FreeBSD's ZFS will overtake a now stagnant Solaris?
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:11 pm

I've never really trusted FreeBSD - there's something wrong about a BSD that doesn't support any DEC architectures, but that's just on a gut level as technically it seems pretty good.
That said, even I realize that ZFS on a VAX would be ... painful. Even NetBSD can get slow if you aren't careful what you load your box up with.
Anybody know if Oracle really took on Sun in good faith or was this a HP-style "we promised to continue development for X years and by golly we had the day we could drop it circled on our calendar before we even signed the deal"
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Feelies

Unread postby Feelies » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Elf wrote:
Krokodil wrote:The one key thing missing from BSD ZFS is the native ZFS encryption. Everyone waited and hoped Oracle would release the updated code, but they never did, despite claiming they would. Although a mysterious, illegal, complete source code dump for Solaris 11 appeared in cyberspace soon after.

I sort of hope that the majority of new ZFS development will continue under FreeBSD's ZFS. Perhaps with continued development, FreeBSD's ZFS will overtake a now stagnant Solaris?

You do realize that there is an OpenZFS project right? FreeBSD, Linux, and Illumos use the same "ZFS" - it's under the CDDL license and is separate from Oracle's ZFS which is proprietary.

Also encryption is being merged into OpenZFS thanks to Datto.

surrealdeal

Unread postby surrealdeal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:18 am

maybe they just meant they are ending solaris 11 support with solaris 12 to follow

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:43 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:At least Fujitsu still has SPARC, and there are still SPARC things around.

Fujitsu is getting out of the SPARC game, at least they're getting rid of a big chunk of their architecture people.

Honestly, most of the action is moving into the cloud, or towards very distributed systems. Big iron is becoming more and more niche, and with design costs increasing exponentially, SPARC is becoming a harder proposition to justify within Oracle I assume.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:27 pm

I remember the days when 64 bit SPARC (and MIPS) made everything Intel did look silly. Man! Good times... :cry:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

archaic

Unread postby archaic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:50 am

It looks like Oracle is building Linux for SPARC. I wonder how much progress they have made since 2015.

https://oss.oracle.com/projects/linux-sparc/
Patrick

- You have got to be kidding... -

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:20 pm

According to Alan Coopersmith's twitter on Dec. 2d: "There's still several times the number of kernel devs working on Oracle Solaris than on all the illumos distros combined."
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 am

:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:16 am

well that's not too bad given the current market situation. i don't care about having a solaris 11.4 or 12 as long as it's not dead :-)

Feelies

Unread postby Feelies » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 pm

vishnu wrote:According to Alan Coopersmith's twitter on Dec. 2d: "There's still several times the number of kernel devs working on Oracle Solaris than on all the illumos distros combined."

This is not comforting at all, I'd rather have most development happen away from the grasp of Oracle.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Some follow up regarding the new Solaris roadmap at Ars - http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... 12-effort/

Also, rumors of layoff announcements coming at Oracle tomorrow (19 Jan 2017; see comments at the link jan-jaap shared https://www.thelayoff.com/t/KTCW4qz ).

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Good fucking riddance. This will free up lots of developers for other projects.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:Good fucking riddance. This will free up lots of developers for other projects.

Yeah. I guess the time has run out for Solaris.

SAQ wrote:I've never really trusted FreeBSD - there's something wrong about a BSD that doesn't support any DEC architectures, but that's just on a gut level as technically it seems pretty good.

They used to have Alpha support, but it didn't last very long. It seems Alpha dosen't get much love these days, which is a pity because they are nice machines. I can understand why they wouldn't support VAX. Even OpenBSD was eventually forced to concede on that.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:27 am

josehill wrote:Some follow up regarding the new Solaris roadmap at Ars - http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... 12-effort/

well having a roadmap for more than a couple of years is naive in the IT industry. as far as interpreting that roadmap image goes, that doesn't tell much so pretty much the whole article is guesswork.
anyhow having less and less diversity on the market is the very opposite of what's needed. and in case of such a classic like solaris it'd be even more unfortunate.

Return to “Sun”