Sun Blade 2500 Red and Sun PCi III

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
crivett

Sun Blade 2500 Red and Sun PCi III

Unread postby crivett » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:07 am

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Sun PCi III card and would like to get it running on my Sun Blade 2500 Red. Unfortunately I didn't receive any software with the card so I would be very grateful for any help in tracking the required software/drivers down. I'm currently running Solaris 10 on my box and am aware that there are some issues running a Sun PCi card under this version of Solaris, but I believe it is doable based on what I have managed to find on the topic so far. Does anyone know if it easy enough to get running under Solaris 10 or would I be better running an older version with my Sun PCi card?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Sun Blade 2500 Red and Sun PCi III

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:52 pm

Presumably you've seen this? Link: http://web.archive.org/web/20060207232814/http://blog.ekholm.org/2005/02/04/solaris-10-sunpci-ii-tricks/

As a point of interest the poster on that board unixmuseum is also a member here, you might want to PM him to find out if he's learned anything else about Sun PCi in the intervening years...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

crivett

Unread postby crivett » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:26 am

I have now managed to get the required software set up on my Sun Blade, however I have run into another issue. When the machine boots up I see the message "Hardware Reboot: X86 failed to respond. Flags are 0" and the light on the back of the Sun PCi card stays solid orange after it stops flashing. I managed to find a manual for the card that suggests that this means a service is required. The Sun PCi software lets me configure a hard disk image as expected, but never moves past the Sun PCi splash screen. I assume this means that there is unfortunately a hardware issue with my card :( I have tried swapping out the RAM with other known working modules but this didn't make any difference.

Does anyone know if there is a common cause and easy fix for this, or am I out of luck with this particular card?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:26 am

Someone experiencing the exact same problem received a bunch of useful information in this thread:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/21170943/Has-somebody-experience-with-SUNPCI-III-on-an-ULTRA-SPARC-10.html
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Adhrain

Unread postby Adhrain » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:59 am

Hi, I recently purchased a nice Sun Blade 2500 Silver, single processor 8GB RAM. The machine is in perfect condition and when I opened the case I had a nice surprise: there was a sunpci 3 card included.
Unfortunately the seller reinstalled solaris 10 thus wiping all preinstalled software and I am not able to find the SUNWspci3.tar.Z file anywhere. Oracle website is not helping (only documentation there).
Can someone help me or point me to useful resources?
:Octane:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:38 am

I have it, PM me your WAN address and I'll set you up an ftp account.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Sun”