SPARCstation 2 papers scans/PS/PDF ?

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
escimo

SPARCstation 2 papers scans/PS/PDF ?

Unread postby escimo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:52 am

Hi,

maybe the location for asking was not pointed correctly (viewtopic.php?t=16730114)

does someone have one of the following papers scanned (image) or in PS, PDF format or know how to get them and would share it with me, please?

for reading...

"SPARCstation 2GS / SPARCstation 2GT Technical White Paper", Sun Microsystems, 1990
This describes the highest performance graphics accelerators available from Sun.
Source: "Sun Performance Tuning Overview—June 1991", Adrian Cockcroft

for fun...

SPARCstation 2 marketing brochure / flyer (complete)

Known search engines didn't help me at this point, several times.

Thanks so far.
escimo
Sun Solaris 2.4 @ SPARCstation 2 and SNI PCD-4H. Migration path: NetBSD

escimo

Re: SPARCstation 2 papers scans/PS/PDF ?

Unread postby escimo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:05 am

Update:
Also sent requests to retired Sun folks - even at Oracle - but the results are unfortunatelly all with negative responses.
Maybe it's lost forever but I don't stop my search or requests ... hope dies last! ;)

One document(-set) more to catch a copy from ... all matters of and concerning in SPARCstation 2 material only.

SPARCengine 2 User Guide
____This can be ordered from Sun using the product code SE2-HW-DOC. It
____provides the full programmers model of the SPARCstation 2 CPU board
____including internal registers and address spaces and a full hardware description
____of the board functions.
Source: Sun Performance Tuning Overview, Part No.: 801-4872-07, Revision B, December 1993, Sun Microsystems Computer Corporation, SMCC Technical Marketing

Other reference to same documentation guide.

Code: Select all

SE2-HW-DOC           SPARCengine 2 Hardware Reference Manual
Source: SPARCstation 2 Product Transition Schedule and Related Options, The Florida SunFlash, SunFLASH Vol 55 #22, July 1993

It has to be similar to the SPARCengine 1 Programmer's Manual (SPARCengine 1 Users Guide) but with progress at least in integration technology (S4 chip set) with shorter timings. There's also another but quite costly way: reengineering of a working software code base like "TME" (in progress)

Format doesn't matter but with the exception that it should be readable.
If you know people - maybe the engineers(?) - let me know. I will ask them too with NO exception. ;) :P

cb88

Unread postby cb88 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:53 am

It's just a sun4c machine right? unless you are looking for something very specific?

This describes the CY7C601 cpu used in the Sparcstation 2 in detail https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_c ... 0_18628249

Since it's a v7 chip this also applies http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttga ... _Sep88.pdf

Note that you could also slap a Weitek PowerUp 80Mhz chip into a Sparcstation 2... so you might find docs for that also. I have one stock (its an empty system not ram etc), and one with a PowerUp.... it has RHEL 6.2 on it but I haven't booted it in about 5 years.

Note that sparc machines generally implement an overall system architecture... so emulation of such a system only needs to be compatible with that architecture eg sun4c/sun4m/sun4d for the 32bit suns.... rather than implement an exact clone. Also, much of what applies to a sun-4 applies to the sun-4c except that it is sbus instead of VME. sun4m added mbus and the v8 architecture sparc.

If your's doesn't have the PowerUp chip... you can find them online with some searching and patience.

escimo

Unread postby escimo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:19 am

cb88 wrote:It's just a sun4c machine right? unless you are looking for something very specific?
Hi cb88. Thanks for your links. I downloaded these documents once before and the CPUs are not what I'm searching for. I'm searching especially for the Sun "S4+ chipset" specification from which the predecessor is described within SPARCstation-1 Programmers Model Jun89

The SPARCstation 2 is simply an improved version of the SPARCstation 1/1+ with shorter clock cycle times and higher integration for the S4 chipset (S4+), including the S4 Cache+ (incl. Buffer + Cache + Tag, SBus Ctrl), RAM+, DMA+, MMU+

I would pay for the information but the problem will be that nobody have it anymore. ;)

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:24 am

Presumably you have tried Adrian Cockcroft, who wrote that performance tuning white paper (and the related books) where you found the reference in?

It might also be worth contacting the people behind NetBSD/sparc. They certainly created a nice repository of Alpha documentation available for download, and put out a similar call for SPARC documentation on the mailing lists many years ago, but I'm not sure of the status.
OpenBSD might also be worth a try, but I presume miod would have joined in by now if they had a copy. There are a few other less well known research OSes ported to SS2 - Sprite at UCB, Amoeba at VU, and CHOICES at UIUC, and so people involved in those projects presumably had such docs as well.

The problem is that if it was only in hardcopy, most people probably dumped it eventually as this machine is just so old now. I guess the only hope is that somebody finds a copy they forgot they had. That's probably what happened with many BitSavers docs. I presume whoever had the SS1 Programmers Guide would have uploaded the SS2 docs if they had a copy.

The brochures seem to be equally rare. In case anybody is interested, brochures for many Sun systems are available on www.1000bit.it, but strangely none for SS2.

escimo

Unread postby escimo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:21 am

kramlq wrote:Presumably you have tried Adrian Cockcroft, (...)
Hi. Yes I know he wrote the "Sun Performance Overview" (WhitePapers 90-93)" and was involved in writing the book "Sun Performance and Tuning" and maybe in the "SPARCstation 2 Performance Brief" as well (?). - O.K. you got me: I put him on my shelve like a joker, to try the sources more near first in the chain of information. ;)
What I read about him, he's now with Amazon.

kramlq wrote:It might also be worth contacting the people behind NetBSD/sparc. (...)
I didn't know, Good tip! Thanks. Where to get started for contacts? I'm not so familar with "mailing lists" - ok I'm not familar with "newsgroups (usenet news)" as well. :oops: But it's never too late to start with it, isn't it?

kramlq wrote:OpenBSD might also be worth a try, but I presume miod would have joined in by now if they had a copy.
Or he don't need anymore or has no demand. Only miod knows. ;) - But I can give it a try as well. But it's funny that you mention this because the programmer of TME inlcuded the SPARCstation 2 as machine emulator as well, not the SPARCstation 1 or 1+ where the documentation is easier to get. I will contact him as well. :arrow:

kramlq wrote:The problem is that if it was only in hardcopy, most people probably dumped it eventually as this machine is just so old now. I guess the only hope is that somebody finds a copy they forgot they had. That's probably what happened with many BitSavers docs. I presume whoever had the SS1 Programmers Guide would have uploaded the SS2 docs if they had a copy.
I fully agree with you.

kramlq wrote:The brochures seem to be equally rare
Unfortunatelly and yes concerning brochures before the "Ultra" line.
Once I had the chance to visit the "Sun Performance Center" in Langen near Frankfurt/Main, Germany. They had a museum with tons of old hardware, software and documentation as well, including a fully functional SUN-1, still booting SunOS from a boot server over network. They published a CD-ROM known as the Sunopsis which contains interesting information about all SUN systems until the E10k or Fire E25k, background information and screenshots of some brochures, including (incomplete) SPARCstation 2. It's in English and German languages. I meet the maintainer in person who built this stuff up over the years. He's now retired. Once I tried to get all scan for the older brochures from the maintainer of the museum in exchange for two Sun-4/260 VME boards I left to him for the museum, but he refused and I never came across why - cause of law ? I forgot to take shower one day before, mmm, no. - BTW: now the museum is located in Sprendlingen (Dreieich) near Frankfurt/Main. But I have no idea what is missing, destroyed or lost now with the move to Oracle (Sprendlingen). - I have to spot out as well.

escimo

Unread postby escimo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Concerning in depth documentation about the SPARCstation 2:
As expacted, until now didn't find the desired documents.
But a drop of bitternet instead: I will scramble some source trees available in WWW for free. They are really helpful for to understand the HW from a programmatic point of view. That's all what I wanted. Thx so far. :)

Return to “Sun”