Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:44 pm 

The dual head graphics board 2-64, has anyone ever used it:

http://www.lxco.com/select.php?id=0021&idsub=2

There is no 3D acceleration but for 2D it must be better than XVR, right? Or else why would they have bothered...?

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:01 am 

vishnu wrote:
There is no 3D acceleration but for 2D it must be better than XVR, right?

Not necessarily.

vishnu wrote:
Or else why would they have bothered...?

The crazy high 2048x2536 resolution & 10-bit grayscale (8-bit is more common) are features probably not found elsewhere in Sun's hardware.

The linked web page specifically mentions medical and pre-press applications. Those are both areas where image quality/accuracy is far more important than performance. If it's actually certified for use in medical applications expect it to cost a fortune!

Note also that the web page says it's an ATI RV100 graphics processor. That's the same chip from the ATI Radeon 7000 and (IIRC) the Sun XVR-100. That also suggests to me that's it's not a performance-oriented graphics card but a feature-rich one instead.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:41 pm 

For x-rays in grayscale at that crazy resolution it doubtless can show anything and everything, but since it also can do 1600x1280x75 at 24 bits with two monitors, I'm seriously curious to see how much better it looks than my XVR1200. There are two of them on FleeceBay right now for $399 but someone else is selling full systems with dual 1.6 processors and 8 gigs of RAM for a mere 600 dollars US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Blade-2500-2x-1-6GHz-CPU-8GB-RAM-2x-146GB-HDD-/120839456796?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item1c2297c81c ...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:40 pm 

I've got one that looks just like it, but mine is manufactured by Tritec which might be the real OEM.

http://www.tritec.de/index.php?id=0031& ... aphiccards

My system was from another chop shop in Phoenix, AZ and identical to that eBay link. These all probably came from Siemens like mine.. so medical is a good guess.

Biggest problem I see is that it doesn't support Solaris 10 or 11e. I haven't tried to hack it into S10, but I contacted Tritec support and they dismissed it as an old unsupported product and didn't acknowledge my request for source code.

It's just a Radeon R100 chipset so it should be relatively easy to get going on alternative OSes with Xorg.

HP c8000

http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ - IBM Retro
http://www.kev009.com/ - Blog
Free Usenet access for comp.* heirarchy. Send me a message for posting access.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:35 am 

Ah! Interesting. In the ebay link I posted it's conspicuously absent what OS is installed on the system they're selling, which is to say, presumably none. So, you just bought the graphics card? Or did you buy the card as part of a system? And you've not yet been able to fire it up? In the dot-de link you posted it indicates that the card should work with Solaris 7 thru 9, which is of course a far cry from saying that the required drivers are actually a part of those OS's...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 am 

vishnu wrote:
Ah! Interesting. In the ebay link I posted it's conspicuously absent what OS is installed on the system they're selling, which is to say, presumably none. So, you just bought the graphics card? Or did you buy the card as part of a system? And you've not yet been able to fire it up? In the dot-de link you posted it indicates that the card should work with Solaris 7 thru 9, which is of course a far cry from saying that the required drivers are actually a part of those OS's...

If they had Solaris on them then they will not have Solaris on them when they're sold, providing that everyone is complying with Sun's license. Sun has never allowed resale of machines with Solaris installed - I think they were the first of the "license goes poof" companies.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:24 pm 

Quote:
Sun has never allowed resale of machines with Solaris installed - I think they were the first of the "license goes poof" companies.

Indeed they charted a course that many have followed. Excluding the numerous Wild Wild West sellers on Ebay... :lol: