Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 pm 

kubatyszko, you work in Tokyo, not the US. With apologies to smj, 'nuff said ....

smj wrote:
Since that time financial firms of all stripes have been recruiting Ph.Ds in math and science like nobody's business. Nothing attracts talent like talent, so the level has been rising - so no, the idea that you work with some very competent people doesn't surprise me.

Mmm, yeah. Sure. How many phuds can dance on the head of a pin ? If all they are doing is figuring out ways to optimize javascript so they can mine our data more thoroughly to sell more worthless crap next christmas ... even talent can be worthless shit, you know. Check out the recent press release from the Leader in Technical Computing, Silicon Garbage, Inc. Obviously there's a company who attracted the best and brightest.

Anyway ... a sort-of Solaris / NFS question. I can't think I'm the only one who ever wanted to do this so there should be a simple workaround ?

NFS was designed to not let you re-share nested directory structures. By that I mean, if you have three guys who need access to an entire tree with an additional ten who need access to a subset of that tree, you can't do it by simply sharing the root directory to Group A and a directory halfway down the tree to Group W. NFS won't let you, although that would be the easiest way I can imagine to achieve the goal. I can imagine a few ways to do this but they all seem like a kluge. What would be the smart and clean way to do this ?

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 am 

hamei wrote:
NFS was designed to not let you re-share nested directory structures. By that I mean, if you have three guys who need access to an entire tree with an additional ten who need access to a subset of that tree, you can't do it by simply sharing the root directory to Group A and a directory halfway down the tree to Group W. NFS won't let you, although that would be the easiest way I can imagine to achieve the goal. I can imagine a few ways to do this but they all seem like a kluge. What would be the smart and clean way to do this ?

My initial thought is this:

• First, configure the top level of the hierarchy to have permissions set for Group A to access it and its sub-directories, e.g. "owned by Group A". Use chown/chgrp and chmod to accomplish this, preventing other groups from accessing/editing files as desired. At this point, Group A has access to everything in the hierarchy.
  • Next, configure the part of the hierarchy that needs to be accessible to both Group A and Group W to have permissions set to allow only Group W members to access it, e.g. "owned by Group W". As in the previous step, use chown/chgrp and chmod to adjust settings. Now, Group A is excluded from the W sub-directories unless Group A members have superuser privileges, which I presume they don't.
  • Finally, add the members of Group A to Group W in the /etc/group file so that they are members of both groups. This will allow those members to access both the A directories and the W directories.
  • Depending on the OS, Group A members might need to use the newgrp command to "become W" when they need to access the W directories.

For this to work well, every machine needs to use the same set of UIDs and group IDs. If you have a handful of machines and users, manually sync'ing the passwd and group files is feasible, but if you have more than a handful of either, consider using a directory service like NIS.

I suppose ACLs would be another approach, but sometimes they can be more complex and finicky to implement.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:34 am 

josehill wrote:
My initial thought is this: ...

That's what I was afraid you were going to say :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:59 am 

hamei wrote:
That's what I was afraid you were going to say :shock:

Sorry, hamei. I guess there is always Novell Netware! ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:33 pm 

hamei wrote:
if you have three guys who need access to an entire tree with an additional ten who need access to a subset of that tree, you can't do it by simply sharing the root directory to Group A and a directory halfway down the tree to Group W.
Group W? Is there a bench involved?

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:32 pm 

recondas wrote:
hamei wrote:
if you have three guys who need access to an entire tree with an additional ten who need access to a subset of that tree, you can't do it by simply sharing the root directory to Group A and a directory halfway down the tree to Group W.

bench... you mean like a sports team..?

My first thought was chroot.. but I typed "chroot solaris" into google and it seemed like a hassle but I eventually thought if you want to get away from NFS and try sftp there is the following page: http://www.minstrel.org.uk/papers/sftp/

And that page links to: http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/

Just some random stuff I thought I would throw out there...

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 pm 

Yuck to all of this :( I think I'll just split up the directories in a parallel fashion rather than vertically ... but seems strange to me that there isn't a simple solution. This has got to be a common requirement ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:32 pm 

Did you try making a symlink down into the level you wanted and putting the symlink into /etc/exports? Not 100% sure it will work but it's got decent odds.

-Mike

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:59 pm 

recondas wrote:
hamei wrote:

Did Hamei get sent there for trying to use NFS in an unnatural manner? Does he have to sing the whole story in five-part harmony?

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:17 pm 

SAQ wrote:
Did Hamei get sent there for trying to use NFS in an unnatural manner?

My ticket just came in the mail :( It all works okay -- still having some problems with Blastwave but otherwise, not so bad. And the whatever-name-it-has-today web server is great. Much nicer than Apache. Try it if you get a chance. Solaris is okay once you get it going. It's the setup that's killer :( -- but M$ "Services for Ewenuchs" is giving me fits. Wanna talk SLOW ? The Irix boxes are happy as clams, the Windows disaster takes about an hour to view a directory. I've searched around and tried a few things - change to tcp instead of udp, etc - but still awful.

Any Mickeysofters here who have had luck with this pos ? I can sacrifice a chicken or a snake if necessary. Turtle is out of the question tho, I can't stand to kill or eat a turtle. It's the little feet, I just can't do it.

About the initial question, I'd say ... maybe :) If it's on sparc hardware, for sure. If god meant Jags to have Chebby engines, they'd have been born that way. For other hardware - if it's a nothing box, you don't care, don't want any hassles at all, a Loonix family member would probably be fine. But if you are willing to put in extra effort in the beginning and you are not using the Java desktop, Solaris is much better.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 am 

I've never had NFS running reliably on Windows. Services for unix was(is) buggy and took a few hours of playing with options to get things right. In the end I found it much easier to use Sharity Lite to mount windows shares. However beware that Sharity for IRIX 6.2 will crash the file manager and famd. Not sure what causes the crash but a note in the original source says it only works on mounts less than 4gb.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:49 pm 

astouffer wrote:
I've never had NFS running reliably on Windows. Services for unix was(is) buggy and took a few hours of playing with options to get things right. In the end I found it much easier to use Sharity Lite to mount windows shares. However beware that Sharity for IRIX 6.2 will crash the file manager and famd.

Thanks, I had the same experience with Sharity. P.O.S.

Actually, I have not much desire to share anything from Windows, I dislike the damn thing. The files go on the Solaris swerver, I want Windows to be able to read and write to NFS on a reliable platform :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:58 pm 

hamei wrote:
astouffer wrote:
I've never had NFS running reliably on Windows. Services for unix was(is) buggy and took a few hours of playing with options to get things right. In the end I found it much easier to use Sharity Lite to mount windows shares. However beware that Sharity for IRIX 6.2 will crash the file manager and famd.

Thanks, I had the same experience with Sharity. P.O.S.

Actually, I have not much desire to share anything from Windows, I dislike the damn thing. The files go on the Solaris swerver, I want Windows to be able to read and write to NFS on a reliable platform :)

um, just throwing this out there but ...

How about SAMBA..?

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 pm 

PymbleSoftware wrote:

um, just throwing this out there but ...

How about SAMBA..?

R.

SAMBA without SMBFS is about as useful as FTP. I have many gigs of mp3 files on my main windows box for playing in IRIX. SAMBA won't let you mount anything, just copy files back and forth.

I should make it clear that Sharity works flawlessly for IRIX 6.5.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm 

Openafs works well for sharing files between solaris, irix, linux, windows, mac, xbsd, and more. Even the server runs on irix, and it turns out an ip35-era machine with a sas/sata card, modern drives, xvm mirroring and gbe does pretty well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next