Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:56 pm 

Ugh....
This is why I'm never allowed to have especually cool and small stuff. Parents.
There's a phone hidden in the far corner of my room and it was inaccessible because I had an Origin and a monitor in the way yet when the phone rang about an hour ago, my mom could care less and ignored it and my dad started tearing through the room to reach the phone (even thought there's another one in his bedroom across the fu%$*@g hall...) and in his travels, he bumped over my nice and two week old Ultra 60 which had hardware and tools piled on top of it so that all went flying every direction (I'll never find all the screws again) and the Ultra falls off the table and falls flat and hard on its right side on the floor. After I get out of bed to see what happened I assess the damage. So there's a nice crack in the plastic, I'm quite sure the two new drive I installed in it are going to be crashed (well there goes all my hard work setting up and configuring Solaris.....) but most concerningly, it won't turn on.
I had it on before and it was running no problem but now it gives no response when I try both the power button on the keyboard or the switch on the front of the unit. An initial dismantle has found no loose connections or damaged boards so I don't know what's up.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:15 pm 

I assume you've already reseated the processors and RAM? The processor modules especially can cause a non-booting machine if they get bumped loose. I've seen that a couple of times in machines rescued from junk piles.

-Ian

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:26 pm 

Nope. Nothing. I even pulled all the hardware except the mainboard and PSU and the system still does nothing. :(
I doubt the PSU has an inertia switch in it. I'm at least not hearing stuff rattle around in it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 am 

I feel so stupid. I feel like I just called Roy for help and his response was "Was it plugged in?"*
*IT Crowd reference joke

Turns out that when it took a tip it yanked the cord out of the wall. I didn't notice it before because it's buried under a bunch of stuff in the corner. After plugging it back in it powered up and booted right back to where I was.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:33 am 

pentium wrote:
I feel so stupid. I feel like I just called Roy for help and his response was "Was it plugged in?"*
[*IT Crowd reference joke]

Turns out that when it took a tip it yanked the cord out of the wall. I didn't notice it before because it's buried under a bunch of stuff in the corner. After plugging it back in it powered up and booted right back to where I was.

Nice that it ended up being something simple/inexpensive - congrats!

Things are definitely improving in Kamloops (this could have been another 5 page thread). :D

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:52 am 

:roll:

Anyways, are these panels ABS plastic? I still got a can of Acetone from when I was repairing the Amstrad.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:01 pm 

pentium wrote:
:roll:

Anyways, are these panels ABS plastic? I still got a can of Acetone from when I was repairing the Amstrad.

Unless they've changed something Sun plastics are an ABS and Polycarbonate "alloy" that's pretty much impossible to solvent weld or superglue - it turns into a grainy mess somewhat like a mealy apple.

Epoxy works.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:15 pm 

Epoxy it is then.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:01 am 

Didn't you prang your dad's car?

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 am 

That was a bit off topic.
What?