extracting driver from Solly 10

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

extracting driver from Solly 10

Unread postby hamei » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:42 am

Want to install OpenSolaris but no driver for my onboard adaptec scsi setup (7899 iirc.)

Regular Solaris has the driver, works okay but the rest of regular Solaris leaves something to be desired (at least on my hardware.)

Where do the drivers hide ? and can I simply add it to the OpenSolaris install CD ? Or, can use a USB stick so if I add the driver from the RegSoly installation to USB stick, then use LiveCD to install from ?

Hints ? Why the H they are missing a driver for such a common piece of hardware which they include on their other version is beyond my limited imagination but ours is not to reason why ...

VenomousPinecone

Re: extracting driver from Solly 10

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm

Probably the difference between CDDL (OpenSolaris) and the licensing scheme Solaris 10 uses. Would Adaptec have to check their driver source for compliance against this licensing scheme?

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:21 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:Probably the difference between CDDL (OpenSolaris) and the licensing scheme Solaris 10 uses. Would Adaptec have to check their driver source for compliance against this licensing scheme?

From what I've seen of SCSI driver source code in the past, it might also be because the driver includes a binary image of the firmware it wants on the card, and this firmware has legal restrictions on distribution that complicate things. Just a guess - I've never really used or looked at OpenSolaris.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:11 am

VenomousPinecone wrote:Probably the difference between CDDL (OpenSolaris) and the licensing scheme Solaris 10 uses. Would Adaptec have to check their driver source for compliance against this licensing scheme?

Well I thought the whole point of the CDDL was it allowed Sun to redistruibute binary drivers/components as the CDDL doens't require the whole codebase to be under the same license (think GPL). I wonder if it is a case of firmware. Might be an idea to ask about it over in the Device Drivers forum on Opensolaris.org
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:13 am

I did a quick google for that card and opensolaris. Found some links to the Nextenta site (Ubuntu/Solaris bastard progeny)
Supposdly this driver should be provided by the SUNWcadp package in Solaris
http://www.nexenta.org/os/FAQ#head-57c10728d34a3a6551ba06167034804c236f7cc9
http://docs.lucidinteractive.ca/index.php/Adding_Solaris_Drivers_to_a_Nexenta_Installation

found this on opensolaris forums explains why adaptec driver isn't included, seems Venomous was right:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=267122

I'm assuming going by the second link above that the adaptec driver is included still in the SXCE release. The current latest SXCE release is based off Build 99 of Nevada and was released at the end of september:
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=76929&tstart=0

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:16 am

Dubhthach wrote:...seems Venomous was right:

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes. :P

inomine

Unread postby inomine » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:25 am

Sorry to dissapoint, but even if you manage to get the driver out of Solaris (which isn't difficult) the chances of it working under OpenSolaris is quite slim. There are a lot of low level interface changes and enough things that are different for it not to work. It's like getting a Linux 2.4 driver and trying to use it under 2.6, or getting a Windows 98 driver and trying to use it in Windows 2000.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:39 am

inomine wrote:Sorry to dissapoint, but even if you manage to get the driver out of Solaris (which isn't difficult) the chances of it working under OpenSolaris is quite slim. There are a lot of low level interface changes and enough things that are different for it not to work. It's like getting a Linux 2.4 driver and trying to use it under 2.6, or getting a Windows 98 driver and trying to use it in Windows 2000.

Inomine that's a fair enough point if Hamei was pulling the driver from "Solaris 10" however I was suggesting he pull it from the latest SXCE (Nevada Build 99) which is what the "OpenSolaris 2008.11/2008.5" is built off. Though to be honest I have tended to avoided the "Opensolaris 2008.*" distro releases and just stuck with SXCE as it's lot closer to Sol 10 and tends to include all the encumbered bits.

inomine

Unread postby inomine » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:05 am

Ah, ok. I didn't realise the driver was present in Nevada. But it's strange that it's in Nevada but not in Open Solaris. Although, barring the image packaging system, there aren't many differences between Nevada and OpenSolaris.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 am

inomine wrote:Ah, ok. I didn't realise the driver was present in Nevada. But it's strange that it's in Nevada but not in Open Solaris. Although, barring the image packaging system, there aren't many differences between Nevada and OpenSolaris.

Indeed, well "Indinana" (Opensolaris distro) is basically a subset of Nevada (SXCE) that they can legally distribute without requiring people to pre-register for (as you have to with SXCE)

Supposedly this is the reason it was removed from "Indiana"
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=267122

Return to “Sun”