Ultra 40 M2 & Sun 24.1" TFT monitors?

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
stuart

Ultra 40 M2 & Sun 24.1" TFT monitors?

Unread postby stuart » Fri May 09, 2008 2:28 pm

I'm considering getting a Sun Ultra 40 M2 (Opteron-based) workstation on Sun's 'Try for 60 days, then get a 25% discount' promotion.

The machine looks well built, and doesn't seem to be just a re-branded stock PC with cables and fans strewn throughout (unlike the Ultra 45 and the Ultra 20 M2).

I've traditionally avoided all nVidia hardware due to driver issues on Linux and reports of problems with PCI transfers and the like - but from the little information I've been able to find, the nForce Pro 3600+3050 seems to be a strong configuration (so long as you don't need CrossFire support...). I'm not sure whether it's upgradable to the Opteron-equivalent of the new quad-core Phenoms - any thoughts?

Other than that, everything else seem expandable and relatively future-proof (I can't imagine that a lack of PCIe 2.0 will be an issue for some time).

Anyway, getting to the point, one of the display options for this system is a 24-inch Sun monitor. It is £460 - over half the price of the system again - but it is apparently a PVA 1920x1200 panel, and after my completely negative experiences with Dell TN+Film monitors it'd be nice to have something that doesn't change colour when you shift slightly (grrr...)

I'm not sure whether that £460 includes VAT, but can anyone else suggest any panels at 1920x1200 which *aren't* TN+Film and cost any less?

(I know, for example, that the Samsung model-T monitors are (S-)PVA, and probably what Sun are using if these panels really are PVA. These monitors are upwards of £650, however)

Has anyone used one of the Sun 24.1" monitors, and are they any good? ;)
(The stand looks as if it needlessly takes a lot of space...)

Can the 13W3 socket be used to display SGI output (with the right cable), or is it wired up sufficiently differently that this won't work?

Thanks in advance,

stuart

Update: Having looked around a little more, these panels are definitely S-PVA, but at £460 don't seem to be included in the 25% discount. The current version also seems to have lost video and 13W3 inputs compared to previous revisions :(

jdboyd

Re: Ultra 40 M2 & Sun 24.1" TFT monitors?

Unread postby jdboyd » Fri May 09, 2008 6:59 pm

stuart wrote:The machine looks well built, and doesn't seem to be just a re-branded stock PC with cables and fans strewn throughout (unlike the Ultra 45 and the Ultra 20 M2).

The Ultra 45 looks like a rebadged PC with cables and fans strewn throughout? That's terrible. The Ultra 45 isn't even a PC, so why would they treat their finest SPARC workstation so terribly?

stuart wrote:I've traditionally avoided all nVidia hardware due to driver issues on Linux and reports of problems with PCI transfers and the like - but from the little information I've been able to find, the nForce Pro 3600+3050 seems to be a strong configuration (so long as you don't need CrossFire support...). I'm not sure whether it's upgradable to the Opteron-equivalent of the new quad-core Phenoms - any thoughts?

Consider Solaris 11 on it?

Arabski

Unread postby Arabski » Fri May 09, 2008 8:15 pm

stuart wrote:Anyway, getting to the point, one of the display options for this system is a 24-inch Sun monitor. It is £460 - over half the price of the system again - but it is apparently a PVA 1920x1200 panel, and after my completely negative experiences with Dell TN+Film monitors it'd be nice to have something that doesn't change colour when you shift slightly (grrr...)

What can I say - go *VA whenever you can. The angles are no match for any TN display. I know that it's not cheap but you won't regret it.
Image * Image

stuart

Unread postby stuart » Sat May 10, 2008 2:27 am

jdboyd wrote:The Ultra 45 looks like a rebadged PC with cables and fans strewn throughout? That's terrible. The Ultra 45 isn't even a PC, so why would they treat their finest SPARC workstation so terribly?

Whoops! I meant Ultra 24!

These are all Opteron or Intel 'workstations' (or, IMHO, the 40 M2 is a workstation but the 20 M2 and 24 are just PCs).

Details on the Ultra 24 are here.

In fact, compare this rat's nest with this well-designed internal layout.

jdboyd wrote:Consider Solaris 11 on it?

The two things I'm keen to look at are ZFS (can Solaris boot from ZFS yet?) and virtualisation: I'm keen to try running Xen directly on the hardware and then testing different OS on top of that.

SupremeCmdr

Unread postby SupremeCmdr » Sat May 10, 2008 3:16 am

stuart wrote:The two things I'm keen to look at are ZFS (can Solaris boot from ZFS yet?) and virtualisation: I'm keen to try running Xen directly on the hardware and then testing different OS on top of that.

Seems like bootable ZFS is here,
checkout http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/boot/.
Apple Unibody MBP 2.66Ghz, 8Gb OSX 10.6
Apple MacMini 1.83Ghz, 1Gb OSX 10.5
Apple Power Mac Cube 450Mhz, 256Mb, OSX 10.3 Sweet!
Sun Ultra10 440Mhz 1Gb, SunOS 5.10

http://gothmog.homeunix.net/blog

Return to “Sun”