Sun opensources Java...

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dubhthach

Sun opensources Java...

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:55 am

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/11/13/sun_opensources_java/

Looks like we might get a slightly newer version of Java on Irix in next 6months as result (nekoware version?) :lol:

Most of the news posts i've read claim GPL for JVM and GPL+classpath exception for the classlibaries. I've also seen a couple of posts that say that it will also be dual-licensed under CDDL (license opensolaris is under)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: Sun opensources Java...

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:21 am

Dubhthach wrote:Looks like we might get a slightly newer version of Java on Irix in next 6months as result (nekoware version?) :lol:

I downloaded the SUN Java source a while ago for this purpose. But the sources only contain the lowlevel bits for x86/win32, x86/linux and sparc/solaris (by now probably also x86/solaris). The lowlevel bits for e.g. mips/irix were added by various vendows (SGI in this case) and not necessarily given back to sun to be integrated into the main code base.

So, you're out of luck, unless you want to re-implement the lowlevel bits of the VM in mips assembly. It's basically the same situation as the OpenOffice 2.x port, so I wouldn't open the champagne just yet :)

The best you could hope for is for SGI to donate their modifications to the OSS comunity. Yeah, right :lol:

EDIT: get it here (under the old license) http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/source_license.html
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Dubhthach

Re: Sun opensources Java...

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:02 am

jan-jaap wrote:
Dubhthach wrote:Looks like we might get a slightly newer version of Java on Irix in next 6months as result (nekoware version?) :lol:

I downloaded the SUN Java source a while ago for this purpose. But the sources only contain the lowlevel bits for x86/win32, x86/linux and sparc/solaris (by now probably also x86/solaris). The lowlevel bits for e.g. mips/irix were added by various vendows (SGI in this case) and not necessarily given back to sun to be integrated into the main code base.

So, you're out of luck, unless you want to re-implement the lowlevel bits of the VM in mips assembly. It's basically the same situation as the OpenOffice 2.x port, so I wouldn't open the champagne just yet :)

The best you could hope for is for SGI to donate their modifications to the OSS comunity. Yeah, right :lol:

EDIT: get it here (under the old license) http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/source_license.html

Indeed, awh well the only chance ye see any sort of lowlevel MIPS bits would be from people porting it to embedded mips systems etc no doubt.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:36 am

Well I saw mentioned on Gamedev.net a project to port the Java runtimes to the Playstation Pocket which is a little 400mhz MIPS SMP.

Would that provide the little MIPS bits needed or is that too way off?

It also brings up that chinese mips copy (miscopy?) thing that - if it goes anwhere - might eventually get some Java action going.

Or is that even further off the mark :?

http://pimpware.pspstart.de/

Does that look relevant?
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

pipeline

Unread postby pipeline » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:55 am

Frapazoid wrote:Would that provide the little MIPS bits needed or is that too way off?

The low-level MIPS bits should be fairly easy to replicate. Porting to MIPSpro and IRIX C libraries / headers would be just horrible.

It would really, really help if SGI would release their patch sets to JDK 1.3 :evil:

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:09 am

Don't they have version 1.4.2? That's what I'm using here in IRIX...

...Or are we talking about something entirely different?

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

edefault

Unread postby edefault » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:14 am

about:plugins shows

http://www.in4tec.de/PICS/java.jpg

I don´t know if java works, though. Crashes Firefox frequently.

Walther
Valueing life is not weakness; disregarding it is not strength. -Mirage-

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:39 am

edefault wrote:about:plugins shows

http://www.in4tec.de/PICS/java.jpg

I don´t know if java works, though. Crashes Firefox frequently.

There are two Java plugins. One is a MIPSPro jobberdoo while the other was done with gcc. Which is which is not very clear but if you use the wrong plugin in the wrong browser, el-kabong !

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:13 am

I know mine works, but some applets manage to crash it, like Runescape.

Return to “Sun”