Good starter machine?

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Good starter machine?

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:48 pm

johnnym wrote:
vishnu wrote:With a Sun PCI Express XVR-2500 Graphics Accelerator you could use the V445 as a workstation! Hmmmm, now I'm tempted... 8-)

If our desks were deep enough we could just use it as desktop below our displays and feel the cool breeze of air 8-) sucked into the machine... :lol:

Dang, I'm seeing a vendor in Santa Clara selling those graphics cards for thirty two bucks, now I'm really tempted! :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:09 pm

vishnu wrote:
johnnym wrote:
vishnu wrote:With a Sun PCI Express XVR-2500 Graphics Accelerator you could use the V445 as a workstation! Hmmmm, now I'm tempted... 8-)

If our desks were deep enough we could just use it as desktop below our displays and feel the cool breeze of air 8-) sucked into the machine... :lol:

Dang, I'm seeing a vendor in Santa Clara selling those graphics cards for thirty two bucks, now I'm really tempted! :shock:

It looks to be a really neat system, and has plenty of expansion slots!

Is it not possible or would it not maybe be better to fit a SUN Quadro card into this machine? (The extra power connector required for the card might be a problem that needs to overcome though, as I don't spot any extra power connectors within the system)
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Irinikus wrote:Is it not possible or would it not maybe be better to fit a SUN Quadro card into this machine? (The extra power connector required for the card might be a problem that needs to overcome though, as I don't spot any extra power connectors within the system)

It's my understanding (but I could be wrong) that the Sun Quadro cards only work on x86-based systems... :|
Project:
Plan:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 pm

It looks like you're right, as the card that I was looking at is compatible with the SUN Ultra 40, which is an Opteron-based system.

http://www.memoryxsun.com/3707988.html

It's a pity though, as it would be nice to have such a card in this system.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image

kaashif

Unread postby kaashif » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Aren't the fans really loud on those? Using a bigass server as a workstation is usually a bad idea for that reason. And Sun servers aren't especially quiet... You could do it, I suppose, but I personally wouldn't.

For beginners and experts alike, I would say workstations (e.g. Sun Blades) are more fun and won't destroy your hearing. The only problem is that good deals are few and far between while it seems to me there are dozens of jet engines Sun servers on eBay for fairly low prices.
Sun Ultra 5, Sun T2000, Sun T5220, Sun Blade 1500

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Yes but if your hearing is already obliterated (as mine is) the fan noise is not so much of a concern. My Blade 2500 maxes out at 2 CPUs and XVR1200, using a V445 with 4 CPUs and an XVR2500 is, as I've said, tempting... :P
Project:
Plan:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:49 pm

The Sunfire V250 also looks to be a really cool machine that has allot to offer in a neat, relatively small form factor.(only two CPU’s though, but cool.)
Image ... Image

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Yes that is a very cool machine, which is actually something you could say about every machine Sun ever made. They went over to the darkside (x86) way more than SGI did, but in doing so neither managed to survive the Intel Apocalypse... :(
Project:
Plan:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 am

I think that a Sunfire V250's definitely on my to do list, as it possesses many of the V880's properties, but will be far more economical to run on a regular basis. (in terms of both electricity consumption and noise pollution).

As far as the V880z is concerned, I still have to order in the cards that Doogie Rick showed off in his video concerning his V880 (10gb nic, PCI-Card, Fire-wire card, sound card, SUN Mouse+Keyboard and some more drive-bay options for the machine) before I load Solaris 10 onto it and fire it up.

I truly think that it will turn out to be my favorite retro machine, due to the vast array of options it gives you, being a a server with graphics capability.
Image ... Image

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Sun Ultra 5. They don't seem to be considered worth much these days and some people are selling huge lots of them. But the machine has decent specs for the time.

It's kinda like the Alphaserver DS10 of Sun.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:
Alphaserver DS10 - 466MHZ
Sun Ultra 5 - 440MHZ.

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm

My favorite SUN workstation is the SUN Ultra 2 and would make a great useful workstation for someone wanting to experience what SUN was all about. Dual CPUs up to 400mhz (same CPU that is in the E250's btw), get a good 24bit video with high resolution (1920x1200) with a special card, takes SCA SCSI drives where 300GB ones are cheap enough on ebay, and still uses SBUS cards!. The classic sparcstation look/colors with SBUS tech coupled with 64bit UltraSparc CPUs able to run Solaris 10. The best of both worlds... classic sparcstation feel with an UltraSPARC heart.

Return to “Sun”