Sunfire v880 with XVR-4000

Sun workstations/servers and operating systems (SunOS, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Irinikus

Re: Sunfire v880 with XVR-4000

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:12 am

They are unfortunately not able to source an Enterprise 10000 and the say that they haven't seen a complete one for years, so there goes that plan! :(
Image ... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 am

Irinikus wrote:excluding the various rack-mount systems, as they don't interest me at all

Irinikus wrote:They are unfortunately not able to source an Enterprise 10000 [...] so there goes that plan! :(

That escalated quickly :mrgreen:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 am

jan-jaap wrote:
Irinikus wrote:excluding the various rack-mount systems, as they don't interest me at all

Irinikus wrote:They are unfortunately not able to source an Enterprise 10000 [...] so there goes that plan! :(

That escalated quickly :mrgreen:

You're right! :mrgreen:

"Rack-type" systems such as your Predator of the Enterprise 10000 are really cool and well worth pursuing! :D

Today's generic rack-type systems don't nearly have the same appeal though!
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 am

It will be a while before I run the machine up for the first time, as I am going to order all of the SUN peripherals and cables that I need for the machine from Wild Fire Systems in the UK. Why I didn't do this in the first place is beyond me! :roll:

in the mean time, I have downloaded the DVD ISO for Solaris 10 from the Oracle website and I’m going to go through the process of making a bootable USB flash drive with the ISO. (It does look like it would be easier to format one of these if I had a PC with me, as Rufus only works in Windows.)
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image

heavyfuel

Unread postby heavyfuel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:58 am

Irinikus wrote:I received my V880z today. (everything inside the machine is absolutely brand new!)

The company that I bought the machine from: (Wildfire Systems in the UK) was not able to offer me the V880z cosmetic upgrade kit, so the machine has the standard V880 cosmetics for now, until I can source an upgrade kit of it.

By the way, the people at Wild Fire Systems are very accommodating and an absolute pleasure to deal with! :D

I am unfortunately unable to run it up at the moment as I don't have the necessary: power cables, monitor cable or keyboard and mouse available to me at this time! As all of my other equipment is in Cape Town. (ridiculous ha!)

Just one question: Would I by any chance be able to use one of my SGI 13W3 monitor interface cables with this machine? (My cables are in Cape Town at the moment though)

The expansion side of the machine is rather bare at this time, so I will have to change that in the future.:D

It will make a good movable table for the moment though. :D

Here are some pics:

Very cool machine. :D What is the original intended purpose of these server-like computers with GPUs? How powerful is the GPU compared to consumer/gaming GPUs of the same era?

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am

heavyfuel wrote:Very cool machine. :D What is the original intended purpose of these server-like computers with GPUs? How powerful is the GPU compared to consumer/gaming GPUs of the same era?

I suppose it was an attempt by SUN to seriously break into the visualisation server market. (to maybe compete with systems such as the SGI Onyx2)

According to SUN, the XVR-4000 had 9-times the geometry performance of the IR3 and with 1GB of memory, made this a rather formidable card for it's time. (the IR4 system didn't offer improved geometry performance over the IR3, as they both made use of the same GE module.)

As for it's actual performance, I will have to run gaming benchmarks, once I have the machine up and running (quake3 for instance which can be installed on SGI's as well, so that I can have a shootout between this machine and my Onyx2 and Tezro).

This machine is more serious than I thought it would be, from a build point of view (the shipping weight was 141Kg and the shipping weight on my Onyx2 was 86Kg). The Tezro seems like a little toy in comparison.

The XVR-4000 absolutely dwarfs the V12 found in the Tezro, it's by far the biggest graphics card I've ever seen, as you can't really call the IR setup in an Onyx2 a graphics card.

I am going to have to purchase all of the necessary cables, keyboard and mouse from various sellers on eBay, so it might take a while before I can get the machine up and running. (I am willing to take my time with this, as I want to do it properly.)
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 am

Here are two links which give information regarding the XVR-4000's performance:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/SUN+INTRODUCES+SUN+XVR-4000+GRAPHICS+ACCELERATOR-a090419415

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/sun-xvr-4000-graphics-accelerator-for-large-scale-visualization.985952/

They compare it to the likes of infinite performance and IR3, but unfortunately not to consumer grade gaming cards of the day.

A single V12 produces 17.7 million triangles a second and the XVR-4000 produces 60 million triangles a second, so this gives you some kind of idea of it's performance. (roughly about 3 times the geometry performance of a V12 for what it's worth)

Here's a link to Doogie Rick's YouTube tour of the v880, also showing the installation of a Sun PC card in the machine. (the PC card is not officially qualified on the V880)

https://youtu.be/qTfGq93Juso
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am

I have managed to secure a brand new 21" SUN CRT monitor with native 13W3 connectivity together with a brand new SUN keyboard and mouse.

I will only receive these items in February of next year, so the machine will have to wait until then, but at least it will be a proper (complete) SUN setup once it all arrives.
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Irinikus wrote:Here's a link to Doogie Rick's YouTube tour of the v880, also showing the installation of a Sun PC card in the machine. (the PC card is not officially qualified on the V880)

Was looking at that video and saw something I recognized:
beta5-1.jpg

I know those, I've got those in the card cage of my 4D/380 PowerSeries rack:
beta5-2.jpg

(I took this photo when the system had been taken completely apart for cleaning and restoration)

I'm pretty sure they move a lot of air. They consume 1.9A @ 12V each. What they're certainly not is silent :mrgreen:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:34 pm

jan-jaap wrote:
Irinikus wrote:Here's a link to Doogie Rick's YouTube tour of the v880, also showing the installation of a Sun PC card in the machine. (the PC card is not officially qualified on the V880)

Was looking at that video and saw something I recognized:
beta5-1.jpg

I know those, I've got those in the card cage of my 4D/380 PowerSeries rack:
beta5-2.jpg
(I took this photo when the system had been taken completely apart for cleaning and restoration)

I'm pretty sure they move a lot of air. They consume 1.9A @ 12V each. What they're certainly not is silent :mrgreen:

Thanks very much for sharing. :D

I haven’t run the system up yet due to not having the necessary peripherals or terminal laptop available to me at the moment, but I have been warned that these are super loud machines, so the surprise still awaits!

The fact that the SUN machine has these things running in series will probably make them even louder! :(

How does your Power Rack system compare to your Onyx2 in terms of noise?
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:19 am

Irinikus wrote:How does your Power Rack system compare to your Onyx2 in terms of noise?

It sounds a bit like a vacuum cleaner but not quite that loud. The 4D also makes a different type of noise compared to an Onyx2. Lower and deeper, probably because the card cage is a bigger volume. I tolerate this type of noise a lot better than the high pitched noise of 1U rack servers, but wouldn't want to work 5 days a week next to one.

The 4D rack runs the fans full throttle all the time. I don't think the V880 does that.

Return to “Sun”