Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:56 am 

Hi guys,
I've got a V240 and I was very happy but the machine produces unbearable noise which drives me crazy. I'd like to have and use a SPARC machine but the only way to achieve that is by making it (more) silent.
My idea is building a custom case with a silent power supply and fans. I found out that the V240 system board is quite similar to the Blade 2500 mainboard. There's a thread on Nekochan about rewiring an ATX PSU for Blade 1500.
My question: is it possible to build such a machine? Where can I find the V240 system board PSU pinouts?

Thanks a lot,
indyboy

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 am 

I'm not sure if the V240 Service Manual or othe docs found here will include that - you may need to find a copy of the Field Engineers Guide that includes that model.

Were I in your situation, I'd first look at just replacing the fans and seeing how far that would get me - start by checking noise (dbA) specs for current fans versus likely replacements. But in the end, keep in mind it may be cheaper to buy/trade for a 2500 than rig a V240 for "silent running."

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:24 pm 

smj wrote:
I'm not sure if the V240 Service Manual or othe docs found here will include that - you may need to find a copy of the Field Engineers Guide that includes that model.

Were I in your situation, I'd first look at just replacing the fans and seeing how far that would get me - start by checking noise (dbA) specs for current fans versus likely replacements. But in the end, keep in mind it may be cheaper to buy/trade for a 2500 than rig a V240 for "silent running."

I think replacing the fans wouldn't be so hard except the PSU where I'd risk the destroying of the PSU(s) with a not suitable fan :?
It's a low-end config with 1 GHz CPU and 2GB of memory w/ disks but in good shape and I have the rails too. I highly doubt that I can trade it even for a Blade 150 :)