MPlayer & DVD reading

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
yungjoon

MPlayer & DVD reading

Unread postby yungjoon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:09 am

Hello all,

I managed to mount my PC DVD drive (drive I:) with sharity.

When I browse the DVD I see for example:

/CIFS/MyPC/I/VIDEO_TS
/CIFS/MyPC/I/AUDIO_TS

I don't know what command line is to be input to read the DVD with MPlayer.

Is it possible to do this with this mounting method or a DVD drive is mandatory (then I need a hard to find IDE->SCSI adaptator)?

Thanks,

yungjoon

unixmuseum

Re: MPlayer & DVD reading

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:29 am

yungjoon wrote:Hello all,

I managed to mount my PC DVD drive (drive I:) with sharity.

When I browse the DVD I see for example:

/CIFS/MyPC/I/VIDEO_TS
/CIFS/MyPC/I/AUDIO_TS

Is it possible to do this with this mounting method or a DVD drive is mandatory (then I need a hard to find IDE->SCSI adaptator)?

Thanks,

yungjoon

Do you see the VOB files? If so, mplayer would read these... Not sure if the VOB encryption would prevent mplayer from playing the movie or not though...

yungjoon

Unread postby yungjoon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:11 am

Unfortunately, I can see the VOB files but mplayer can't read it (it manage to detect mpeg2 format but stop reading) ...

Is there solution ?

If not, what soft can be used ?

smharr4

Unread postby smharr4 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:15 pm

yungjoon wrote:Unfortunately, I can see the VOB files but mplayer can't read it (it manage to detect mpeg2 format but stop reading) ...

Is there solution ?

If not, what soft can be used ?

As unixmuseum said, the files on the DVD are probably encrypted and mplayer won't be able to read them - the decryption title keys are pressed onto one of the tracks at the beginning of the disc, and mplayer won't be able to access them.

However, if you were to rip the DVD onto a hard disc using a tool such as DVD Shrink, you could then use mplayer to view the files (I do that with mplayer version CVS-05/18/2004). Don't just drag-and-drop the DVD's contents onto a shared folder, they'll still be encrypted., rip it with DVD Shrink, and share the resulting files.

And unless you have a fast-ish system, be prepared for jittery movies, my 360MHz Octane2 has a hard time playing back VOB files. I'd consider ripping the DVD, and converting to MPEG4/DIVX, that would play better (IMHO, anyways).

And as for the command used, I usually use this:

Code: Select all

mplayer -vo gl2 -cache 8192 -framedrop /data03/movies/<movie title>/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
Where '/data03' is an NFS mount to my O200+FC array.

smharr4

Unread postby smharr4 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:41 pm

I missed this question:
yungjoon wrote:Is it possible to do this with this mounting method or a DVD drive is mandatory (then I need a hard to find IDE->SCSI adaptator)?

The SCSI DVD-ROM drives that SGI ship with their systems are rebadged Toshiba SD-M1401's, and the OEM version works just as well. Provided you've set the jumpers on the back, you can boot from them also. I have one in my O200, and it has no problem reading DVD's - I'm thinking of getting a second one to attach to my Octane. I even think it does audio over SCSI, but I can't remember if I played a CD on it when I had an audio card in the Origin.

There's usually a couple on eBay at any given moment, they're a little more expensive than an IDE DVD drives, but by the time you've bought a SCSI-IDE convertor for your IDE drive, then it should be about the same price (my M1401 cost me $50).

If you're patient, you might even find one that isn't beige - Sun also use them in some of their machines, so you'll see grey ones from time to time (Sun have been using IDE DVD drives more and more recently I've noticed though).

o2ric

Unread postby o2ric » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:12 am

yungjoon wrote:Hello all,

I don't know about MPlayer (I don't use it), but quite surely it tries to read the encription keys from the DVD, and it obviously fails since these keys are not available as normal files, but it is a specific function of the DVD player.

One possible solution, albeit somewhat "illegal", would be to install a transparent software decripter on the PC side, like for example AnyDVD. With that software in place, any program which tries to access the encripted DVD files would be served with a decripted version, done on the fly.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that the only solution would be to connect physically the DVD drive to your SGI.

A.S.

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:08 am

I asked this before...MPlayer won't build(without some faking) the direct drive access for DVD/VCD on Irix because of some missing functions that allow for the retrival of the encryption keys and the like. You can play unencrypted vob files just fine(still can't just point it to a drive though), and I do on occasion while I'm at work on my octane. So the not being able to play encrypted dvd/vob files is an issue within Irix, not mplayer.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:38 am

I have pushed SGI about DVD authoring on IRIX. I was once told it would take ~$15K per year to get decryption rights for IRIX and they are reluctant to pay.

smharr4

Unread postby smharr4 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:45 pm

squeen wrote:I have pushed SGI about DVD authoring on IRIX. I was once told it would take ~$15K per year to get decryption rights for IRIX and they are reluctant to pay.

It's not surprising they're reluctant to pay - Writers of DVD playback software for Windows can spread the cost around over the hundreds of thousands of PC's sold a year, but if you're building workstations that don't get that kind of sales (like SGI), there's no monetary incentive to buy the rights and then pay a team of coders to create a dvd player application for IRIX. They probably wouldn't make their original $15K back through sales

On top of that, remember that SGI's aren't great at playing back the kind of compressed video you get on a DVD-Video (which is CPU intensive), but they're great for working with uncompressed video (which is graphics intensive). Without big increases in raw CPU power, your expensive SGI workstation isn't going to be able to keep up with an average cheap PC when it comes to playing DVD's.

Decrypting and ripping the movie to a hard disk and playing that back is probably the best option (but is legally dubious). A second option is to take advantage of the videopanel/videoin applications, and hook a regular DVD player to the back of your SGI (Indy's and O2's have the right connections already). I did this when I was using an Indy for my desktop, and I noticed no appreciable slowdown of CPU or memory utilisation thanks to DMA.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:52 pm

Random thoughts and ramblings on DVD playing in Irix...

A Firewire enclosure + dvd drive + adaptec 4300 works rather well.
Unencrypted movies are (mostly) watchable on a 400mhz R12k O2, and I imagine would be very watchable on a dual 300mhz Octane, or a single 400mhz Octane.

HOWEVER

Encryption is a pain to break, if you REALLY want to watch them in Irix, first watch them with a linux version of mplayer, and get the .mplayer_css or whatever folder, and copy the CSS keys from that to your Irix box to watch. This will probably be too slow unless you have a decent Octane as listed above...

That said, if you have a 300+ mhz O2, then a better solution is ripping the DVD to a ~600meg divx (forget the bitrate I found works, but it always ends up with approx 600 meg files) and the O2 will play them nicely full screen. Even with the higher compression of divx over mpeg2, it tends to do better, because of the INSANE bandwidth difference, and O2's (specifically the R10k/R12k variants) have pretty bad memory latency for this stuff...)

I can't judge for an Octane, but I'm sure nearly the same would also be true.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 pm

vegac wrote: Encryption is a pain to break, if you REALLY want to watch them in Irix, first watch them with a linux version of mplayer, and get the .mplayer_css or whatever folder, and copy the CSS keys from that to your Irix box to watch. This will probably be too slow unless you have a decent Octane as listed above...

That said, if you have a 300+ mhz O2, then a better solution is ripping the DVD to a ~600meg divx (forget the bitrate I found works, but it always ends up with approx 600 meg files) and the O2 will play them nicely full screen. Even with the higher compression of divx over mpeg2, it tends to do better, because of the INSANE bandwidth difference, and O2's (specifically the R10k/R12k variants) have pretty bad memory latency for this stuff...)

Yikes. I use smharr's solution (up one article :) ) with a $50 Philips DVD player on an O2. Small, attractive, about the size of one of those new mac computers only thinner. The China version plays everything. (Screw that regional encoding bullshit.) Cheap, fast, works well, looks nice. Worked in the past with a VHS player as well.

Geewiz

Unread postby Geewiz » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:35 am

vegac wrote:That said, if you have a 300+ mhz O2, then a better solution is ripping the DVD to a ~600meg divx

So SGI can handle DivX better than MPEG2? What software would you recommend for the playback of a DivX file?

Regards,

Geewiz

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:56 am

Geewiz wrote:So SGI can handle DivX better than MPEG2? What software would you recommend for the playback of a DivX file?

Regards,

Geewiz

iridivx or maplyer, mplayer would probably work tons better...

smharr4

Unread postby smharr4 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:50 am

unixmuseum wrote:
Geewiz wrote:So SGI can handle DivX better than MPEG2? What software would you recommend for the playback of a DivX file?

Regards,

Geewiz

iridivx or maplyer, mplayer would probably work tons better...

Definitly mplayer, I've never had problems with it on IRIX.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:15 am

vegac wrote:Encryption is a pain to break, if you REALLY want to watch them in Irix, first watch them with a linux version of mplayer, and get the .mplayer_css or whatever folder, and copy the CSS keys from that to your Irix box to watch.

Why not install the DeCSS library? That's how the Linux box does it, there's not really a reason why it wouldn't work on an SGI.

Return to “SGI: Video”