mediaplayer beats MPlayer - hands down?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
brembs

mediaplayer beats MPlayer - hands down?

Unread postby brembs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 pm

I can now capture my old VHS videos on my 300MHz O2 and then play them back using both mediaplayer and MPlayer. However, While mediaplayer plays back most videos just fine, MPlayer drops frames such that there is basically just one frame every minute or so. I'm using the standard settings, but I've also tried vo=gl2 to no avail. I'd like to use MPlayer, because it can do full screen. I'm assuming there must be something wrong since everybody here on this board seems to be using MPlayer just fine.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: mediaplayer beats MPlayer - hands down?

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Did you try any of the -vo sgi options?

A short rundown of -vo sgi options in Schleusel's tardist:

textures forces use of textures for display
drawpixels forces use of glDrawPixels (slower)
pixeltex does colorspace conversion in hardware using 4D Texture + glDrawPixels for displaying. Very fast on I2's with HI+TRAM and MI+TRAM and Low spec Octanes with SI/SE+TRAM but can bomb your X server. Use with caution.
colormatrix forces use of glLoadMatrixf(yuv2rgb) for colorspace conversion. Only works with glDrawPixels
ycrcb disables colorspace conversion. Default for O2, cause it eats this particular video format :)
rgba forces four component display
rgb forces three component display
async forces use of asynchronous GLDrawPixels fill. Only for VPRO Octanes, and can panic your kernel. Use with caution.
mt forces use of multithreading
nomt disables multithreading
softcs forces use of software colorspace conversion (slow)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

brembs

Unread postby brembs » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:05 am

nekonoko wrote:Did you try any of the -vo sgi options?

Yes. No change whatsoever if I use gl2 or sgi, all the same. For videos shorter than one minute, MPlayer only displays the first frame, while the audio keeps going normally. Mediaplayer happily plays the entire clip, even if I maximize the window. If I switch MPlayer to fullscreen, not even a single frame is displayed. No error messages on the console at all. If I force MPlayer to not drop frames, it will display a few frames and chop the audio.

I did have a look at all the vo_sgi options but it seemed to me that the default already was the best setting. Is this correct? What options are others using on their O2s for MPlayer?

cadmo

Unread postby cadmo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:46 am

I don't know if this could help, but I am using mediaplayer as well as mediarecorder to make movies from my photos (to show 900 photos is ugly, to have a one hour movie with still pictures for 4 secs, together with the appropriate music and speech to describe, well it's... less ugly). I have a O2, R5K180/640MB RAM, and I found out that QT w/0.75JPEG at 10fps could be mediaplayed with no loss on frames as well as with a quite good quality, 768x576 movie size, 16K mono audio, for a total bitrate of 6.5Mbps, and recorded to VCR with no loss. Unfortunately the compression system does not allow such bitrate, so I think to connect a Toshiba Qosmio to do the MPEG recording needed for a DVD.
By the way does anyone knows about digital output from D-Terminal connector of Qosmio?
Marco
Italy

omelett

Unread postby omelett » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:37 am

hi,
maybe this depend on the codec ?
the mediaplayer can playback the MJPEG files in realtime because of the hardwareaccel.
have You tried to convert Your captured files to something other than this and play it
back with Mplayer?

brembs

Unread postby brembs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:45 am

omelett wrote:maybe this depend on the codec ?
the mediaplayer can playback the MJPEG files in realtime because of the hardwareaccel.
have You tried to convert Your captured files to something other than this and play it
back with Mplayer?

I've tried a whole bunch of different combinations from the mediarecord options, none of which MPlayer could play better than mediaplayer. Actually, I've now put up some versions right here:

http://brembs.net/test

if someone would like to reproduce my results. I'd be extremely interested if someone could post a link to a short clip which works fine with MPlayer in fullscreen on O2s.

Thanks a lot!
Bjoern

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 pm

I've always just assumed that mplayer can't handle SGI-format MJPEG very well, if at all. No idea about MJPEG
created by other platforms. So on SGIs, I use dmplay or mediaplayer for SGI-recorded JPEG movies, but mplayer
for pretty much everything else.

O2 uses ICE for accelerating JPEG playback of course, whereas I think mplayer's optimisations involve using
the geometry and texture engines when available - a feature set that's perhaps not quite the same with O2?

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

cadmo

Unread postby cadmo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:41 am

brembs wrote:I've tried a whole bunch of different combinations from the mediarecord options,
Bjoern

OK.
test.mps seems a (nearly b&w) mpeg 1,4Mbps 320x240@25fps copy of the original VHS PAL format 768x576@24.81 MJPEGA test.mov (which is 1.6Mbps???) and test_large.mps is the 2.8Mbps same size (correct) translation.
This seems to me done with the standard values from MovieConvert GUI.

I NEVER have such results from my mpg copies of qt movies.

My qt (tipically USA Arizona's Monument Valley) are 6.5Mbps (0.75 MJPEGA) and the quality is still good but... A DIRECT 4Mbps mpg conversion have a real lower quality; the only way is to do the movie from (2400x1800 jpg 3M photos) scratch with a 4Mbps mpeg command line instruction.

So, are you using standard values? If so maybe the difference in colors made the differences - or likelity - in quality, as YOUR mpeg is REALLY GOOD compared to MJPEGA QT. It is not a matter of a 5x size, it is a matter of how to make a dvd with something fine on it.

If you are using a trick, I am interested in, as a direct conversion from 768x576 qt to 768x576 mpg always loose quality here.

Regards, Marco
Marco

Italy

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:05 am

Out of curiosity, have you tried ffplay?

Also, here's my understanding of the video playback process:

1) read the data from the source (disc)
2) convert the encoded movie into a frame of data (the codec)
3) get the frame data into the frame buffer
4) display it

I think the SGI's are fairly good at #3 & #4 when OpenGL is used to hardware accelerate it (Onyx had especially fast memory-to-graphics transfer rates and pixel fill rates), and also good on #1 since the SCSI bus is probably as fast as most PC's.

Its #2 they fall down on because of the slower CPU and lack of (optimized for MIPS) good codecs. Exceptions to the rule are when there is some sort of hardware acceleration available such as
a) the ICE on the O2 for JPEG
b) assist in colorspace conversion using OpenGL
c) the codec has been mutilthreaded
d) the codec has been taught to use some of the MIPS assembly optimizations (by nekochaner's or SGI)

What would be nice to know is a list of which codecs can use the optimizations that schleusel and dexter1 put in mplayer.

Return to “SGI: Video”