Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Piranha vs. Shake Irix
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:10 am 

How many of you still uses this kind of software for effects on Irix ? and what are the differences ? I know both software apps require big bang octane2`s or tezro`s but i get a try to shake 3.5 on Indigo2 impact and for "minimal" things is quite usable, at least for user interface exploration and command hierarchy learning ... etc ... maybe for first steps too... in fact i was surprised how usable is this thing on 10 year old machine, ok this is classic constatation so i will skip this one ... i even maked some simple effects in few minutes that surprised me.

I know today shake is primary apple-platform thing for powered pro-mac`s, but wondering how wide was the usage on Irix platform when it was available ... in the other hand the v3.5 seems not so distant from 4.1 (or 4.2 dunno) that is apple current version, i mean the version distance is short in relation to hardware/generation that run`s it ... for example Maya 6.5 (last Irix v.) and Maya 2008 that is straight 3 versions ahead 7,8 and 2008 ...

Piranha still retain Irix support at least for v4., and i think is on the higher range of pro-usage and definitely needs nice powered Octane2 to run smoothly ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 am 

The reply is inside your Signature "- It`s time for Octane ? hmmm ... oh dear god, not again :O" ;)
Time to let oldies.Both are completely out from the tools we got now.
Or it's time to move to the Octane2 + other kind of apps

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:24 am 

cybercow wrote:
How many of you still uses this kind of software for effects on Irix ? and what are the differences ? I know both software apps require big bang octane2`s or tezro`s but i get a try to shake 3.5 on Indigo2 impact and for "minimal" things is quite usable, at least for user interface exploration and command hierarchy learning ... etc ... maybe for first steps too... in fact i was surprised how usable is this thing on 10 year old machine, ok this is classic constatation so i will skip this one ... i even maked some simple effects in few minutes that surprised me.

Piranha struck me as a significantly different program from shake. I'd almost think of Piranha as more Flint or After Effects like than Shake/Fusion/Nuke like. I wouldn't say one style is better than the other, just that they are better for different things.

I wonder if there is any chance of IFX ever being convinced to sell older versions for Irix cheaply.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:25 pm 

Quote:
I wonder if there is any chance of IFX ever being convinced to sell older versions for Irix cheaply

I have often thought this with many of the comp & editing apps that were available for IRIX. It's a dead end for most of the software companies, But having said that........ :mrgreen:

How many people out there are genuinely interesting in purchasing legitimate versions of these software packages. If there were enough neko users out there with money to part with I would be interested in contacting companies on behalf of a "Group of buyers" to see if they would offer a 1 time limited release of the their legacy IRIX lines. Some of the Avid products also come to mind (Elastic Reality would be 1 of my 1st picks, Jaleo for the O2 would be another)

I am not sure what the interest level would be. But I would assume that if there were enough users willing to part with cash then it might appear worth while to do. I assume that the last version release & licence with access to all of the patches would be a fair ask with a text or pdf user manual to help things along. What have we too loose?

Perhaps a limited list of apps (wish list) would prove helpful? I think by keeping this small it would keep purchase numbers high rather than scattered breakdown?

Perhaps the suggestion of an upgrade path/option to a non IRIX current version could be suggested to the supplier. This may give the companies more incentive if they can see the possibility of continuing brand loyalty? With respect, it would be foolish to assume that people are not running cracks etc on systems. If most were given the option of a legitimate license at a realistic cost..........

What are peoples thoughts on this? :?:

Timberoz>Craig

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:53 pm 

Timberoz wrote:
How many people out there are genuinely interesting in purchasing legitimate versions of these software packages. If there were enough neko users out there with money to part with I would be interested in contacting companies on behalf of a "Group of buyers" to see if they would offer a 1 time limited release of the their legacy IRIX lines. Some of the Avid products also come to mind (Elastic Reality would be 1 of my 1st picks, Jaleo for the O2 would be another)

I don't that Avid would be convinced to do any such thing, but it could be worth a shot, since they do give away (or least until recently did) ProTools 3.4 (I guess this would be 12+ years old).

Smaller manufacturers seem a more likely target though.

BTW, Jaleo is from SGO, which is still in business, so that is likely another good target.

Although, I would rather see them just provide an unlimited license key for free for sufficiently old applications on platforms that are no longer supported.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:50 pm 

Basically the reason I sit in front of my nearly 4 year old Octane2 each day is to run Maya 6.01 and Shake 3.5.

I live in fear of the day that these app's no longer 'cut it' because I cannot part with the frogskins necessary to 'upgrade' to the modern (i.e. non-IRIX) versions of these apps. Oh, the painfulness and anguishment... :|

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:53 am 

Maya and Shake definitely rule this side of the Universe.
I use Shake and Maya on a SGI quite often and althuogh these machines are concidered
to be slow compared to todays standards I still love the responsiveness of my SGI !
Where Pyrana is concerned its just like shake but with a somewhat simpeler UI.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:36 am 

afaik, piranha is another one of these hardware-accelerated compositors with a layer/stack kinda approach vs. a node-based one, some video editing module and intended for those client-attended sessions. looks nothing like shake to me, more similar to smoke or perhaps mistika.