Anyone out there use Discreet Spark for o2?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
gijoe77

Anyone out there use Discreet Spark for o2?

Unread postby gijoe77 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:59 am

subject says it all - I have an o2 that appears to have a valid license, but I just can't seem to get it to get past an error initializing the framestore, even when I start it with the -v flag

I'm just looking to compare an init.cfg with someone with a working config - I dunno if I really just broke this thing in the config or if there is some other issue somewhere.

spark.jpg

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Anyone out there use Discreet Spark for o2?

Unread postby uunix » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:11 am

Hi gijoe77
I do have an o2 running something discreet licenced with an AV2 card and it works fine. I don't though think it's SPARK and of course it's not available for me to boot up currently (my parents loft).
I think it's running FLINT???

Does sw_config work fine for you?

I recently had an issue initializing a drive for stoneFS even though sw_config worked fine, VIC showed that it wasn't mounting the partition. To over come I just reset the partitioning using fx to an Option Drive, labelled and it worked fine. Saying that, it was a separate drive, does SPARK use file/folder instead?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Titox

Unread postby Titox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 am

Seems a filesystem framestore so your system lacks the '/Framestore' folder on your active hard disk. Maybe it was mounted on an external hard disk previously.

Try to mkdir/Framestore and restart with -v option.

edit: The discreet effect 7.0 installation guide can help about the spark config files: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Avs18VBdriF3ivpHPHhPJZtg0zw9wg
Alberto (Between the TV and the sofa)
:Fuel: :Octane2: :1600SW: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo:
http://www.f3b.es
http://unixverse.blogspot.com

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:35 am

Titox wrote:Seems a filesystem framestore so your system lacks the '/Framestore' folder on your active hard disk. Maybe it was mounted on an external hard disk previously.

Try to mkdir/Framestore and restart with -v option.

edit: The discreet effect 7.0 installation guide can help about the spark config files: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Avs18VBdriF3ivpHPHhPJZtg0zw9wg

The path exists and the *.fs file exists, if I start it without the -v option it dies with a more severe VOLUMEMGT error.

I think the issue is something else - my suspicion is when I installed 7.6 it must have copied over the cfg files from an earlier release - I was very careful not to do this but perhaps I messed up or the software did it on its own. When I first tried to launch it, it gave me an error about "O2Video" not being supported anymore, and I was really curious how it made it into my init.cfg file if its not supported. I think I'm going to wipe it out and reinstall it from scratch and make special note what it's init.cfg looks like after a fresh install. I'll report back.

Spark took a detour from earlier versions of effect and they really limited it on the o2. It only runs on R10+ cpu's, they removed the O2Video capability and I suspect they made it stonefs only (that is def the case for the next release after 7.6). Effect 7.0 and 7.1 were able to run with a regular filesystem file specified as the FRAMESTORE with no issues.

Titox

Unread postby Titox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:49 am

You can try to rename the file. effect creates a new one in case so -maybe- spark can build a new file.

BTW I never heard about spark, Can you upload any pdf if its in you hard disk?

Thanks!

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 am

uunix wrote:Hi gijoe77
I do have an o2 running something discreet licenced with an AV2 card and it works fine. I don't though think it's SPARK and of course it's not available for me to boot up currently (my parents loft).
I think it's running FLINT???

Does sw_config work fine for you?

I recently had an issue initializing a drive for stoneFS even though sw_config worked fine, VIC showed that it wasn't mounting the partition. To over come I just reset the partitioning using fx to an Option Drive, labelled and it worked fine. Saying that, it was a separate drive, does SPARK use file/folder instead?

I think they renamed Flint to effect on the o2 starting with R6.0

sw_config is a whole other can of worms on the o2. sw_config seems to work like crap on many systems :) half the time it segfaults and I usually get around that issue by removing everything from the DL_license.dat file and only leave the stone license line.

so with the early versions of stone+wire on the o2, there are a few issues - the main issue is it basically tells me my disk is unlicensed, but even if my disk was licensed the stonefs module errors out because apparently discreet hardcoded a time limit or something for the stonefs to work. It basically errors out and say something to the extent that the software epoch is over its limit. If I change the date back to say 2002 its works fine, but it wont let me create a stone due to the unlicensed disk issue.

I think the latest version of s+w Spark came with was version 2.1. I was able to find (trough trial and error) version 2.2 of s+w in a fire install - I had no problem creating a stone disk on the o2 using that version, but it appears it is not recognized by spark and I get some strange VOLUMEMGT errors going that route. I will revisit this once I can confirm 7.6 takes only stones or if I can actually specify a regular filesystem path framestore or not

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:54 am

gijoe77 wrote:The path exists and the *.fs file exists, if I start it without the -v option it dies with a more severe VOLUMEMGT error.

Spark took a detour from earlier versions of effect and they really limited it on the o2.

Ah yes, it's effect I have.
Before you wipe, how about posting you init.cfg and see if anyone can spot anything.

Also, what does the sw logs say? Although I'm sure you have looked at these in detail.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 am

Titox wrote:You can try to rename the file. effect creates a new one in case so -maybe- spark can build a new file.

Yeah I tried this, I even changed the path to /tmp - it just keeps erroring out

Titox wrote:BTW I never heard about spark, Can you upload any pdf if its in you hard disk?

I looked into the documentation folder and it's all flint7.6 docs - they don't even mention the o2 lol

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:00 am

uunix wrote:Ah yes, it's effect I have.
Before you wipe, how about posting you init.cfg and see if anyone can spot anything.

Also, what does the sw logs say? Although I'm sure you have looked at these in detail.

I don't have access to the o2 anymore today - I'll be back at its location tonight, after I research my main suspicions I'll post either the solution(s) or the configs and logs :)

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:04 am

gijoe77 wrote:sw_config is a whole other can of worms on the o2. sw_config seems to work like crap on many systems :) half the time it segfaults and I usually get around that issue by removing everything from the DL_license.dat file and only leave the stone license line.

OK, IIRC, (and once again I am going on memory), but when I installed effects, there were two versions of sw_config, one worked fine, the other didn't and I have a feeling I had to use the older version.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:11 am

uunix wrote:OK, IIRC, (and once again I am going on memory), but when I installed effects, there were two versions of sw_config, one worked fine, the other didn't and I have a feeling I had to use the older version.

yes there are two different versions - the one that seems to work fine without the above stated license manipulation is just called "config" - it brings up a nice little gui but It's def the older one - hard to tell exactly what version because it doesn't specifically state it in swmgr/inst/versions - but I think its 1.8 or something like that - I'll post a picture of it because I am a bit confused about it

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:51 am

here is the "config" program, with current date and the "SW epoch" error
config-date-current.jpg

turn the date back a bit and it seems to run fine - I'm guessing this is 1.8?
config-date-old.jpg

and a later version of sw_config (2.1? I forget - I wrote it down somewhere...)
sw_config.jpg

I think spark really just needs to use stonefs - or there is some license feature I just don't know about.

And I can't get stonefs to work anyway - I can't make a stone, it keeps telling me my disk is not licensed. I thought the "swnone" and/or the "stone" features were all that's needed, but if that's not the case then I just don't have the proper features licensed.

So if someone actually does have this working let me know!! :)

Titox

Unread postby Titox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 am

Never used stonefs or sw_config in my O2 with effect 7.1. Just config the file system or the hard disk I want to use... In a second O2 I used an entire hard drive in the second bay as framestore and only needed to config correctly the parameter on the init.cfg.

I will look if I have a backup of the config.ini or... well, I prefer to power on my O2s tomorrow..

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:08 am

I appreciate the offer - I have effect 6 and 7 and those work fine using the regular filesystem framestore, I was hoping spark 7.6 and above did too but it doesn't seem to be the case so far

I deleted all spark software and folders, moved out my effect folders so the install script couldn't finds any other versions - did a fresh install of spark 7.6 again - the default init.cfg had the framestore filesystem option specified, and it also has the " video O2video, Serial1" (or whatever the syntax is, I forget - going of memory now) option enabled by default. Fired up spark for the first time - it error'd out saying unknown option "O2video"....

makes me really question if anything in that default init.cfg template was acurate, but I assume not. Spark 8.0 was very clear it did not support O2video and only supported stonefs - I think the person incharge of the o2 port of flint by that point must of realized they done goof'd

Return to “SGI: Video”