Backburner rendering farm.

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Backburner rendering farm.

Unread postby uunix » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:45 am

Happy Easter folks.

I'd like to talk about a render farm and all the required components.

So I have two windows servers running Backburner (Service, Monitor & Server). Both of these register to the same server and they appear fine in the monitor on what I shall call the 'master'

I have two flame installations that in the init.cfg piont to the backburner master server in question.

So when I render anything (including a 'force render') should I see job activity on the backburner Monitor, because it seems to me thay are just rendering on the Flame machine as it becomes unusable and is obviously rendering itself.

In the discreet documentation, it shows a diagram depicting a render machine also, which if I am reading it correctly, means eaither of the two Flame machines and also the two Windows backburner servers.

So my understaning is that if you install all the backburner components on a windows machine, it can then render?

Cheers anyone for your help to clear this muddle up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Backburner rendering farm.

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:00 pm

According to Autodesk, you have to have the 3D app installed on all the Backburner machines as well:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-set-up-a-basic-render-farm-s.html

They don't mention Flame though, just 3DS and Maya.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:10 am

I read that, you're right they don't mention Flame or Smoke, so on another PC I have installed 3DS / Backburner and its registered that fine.

What's not happening though, is any sign of either Flame machines registering with the manager and I am pretty sure they showed up in the server console before. hmmmm
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

gocram

Unread postby gocram » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:34 am

It's Burn you're after, not Backburner. Burn only runs on IRIX (or in its case, past tense) and Linux platforms, where the latter was far more common and popular.

Burn wasn't deemed ideal, because I remember people regularly complained about differences and artifacts in render output, because actual IFFFS systems would largely utilize the GPU for rendering, whereas Burn (or its earlier versions, presumably the ones compatible with the IRIX suites) would utilize the CPU.

The only way you can use Backburner in combination with IFFFS is with Cleaner (XL), but this is rather antiquated software. You might as well make something of yourself, with some kind of ‘job-based’ directory parser, in combination with available transcoding solutions out there nowadays (like Hanbrake, conveniently being F/OSS, too).
:O2: 400/R12ᴋ, 1GB RAM, digvid (AV2), UW-SCSI PCI, 256GB SSD (int.) & 4×300GB 15ᴋ/U320 HDDs (ext.), DVD
:Indigo2IMP: 195/R10ᴋ, 1GB RAM, High IMPACT+TRAM, IMPACT Video, 72.8GB 10ᴋ/U320 HDD & 256GB SSD, CD
LOOKING FOR:
HIGH IMPACT-AA or MAXIMUM IMPACT graphics board set (for IP28)
ITEMS FOR SALE/TRADE

Return to “SGI: Video”